RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Bragging Marlin 336 rc ballard 30/30

Banned

Bragging Marlin 336 rc ballard 30/30

Just thought I would stop and brag a bit.

A buddy of mine who peruses everything auction just recently picked me up a marlin 336RC in 30/30, I told him if he saw a good one I would go 400bucks...price was 320 bucks.

Now the good news: It is an E prefix (1948, first year) with pristine ballard rifling in about 85%+ external shape very nice overall......just plain nice, with just abit of thin bluing here and there, nothing serious. It is intended to be a shooter, not a safe queen anyway. It has the old high cut 36 type high curve pistol grip lever and I am in lust already. It has been D&T'ed in the waffles but it was done very well and came with an old weaver K4, which will stay on her if all remains well.

I just finished her first (very informal) test. Lyman 311440 copy over 21 grains of old H-4198/ 2.448 O.A.L/CCI 200.......5 shots inside 1.5 inches at about 90 yards, and group 2 was just over 1.25"...this was the first recorded groups, and shot off the top of my dog kennel on a simple bag rest into a spray painted spot on the burn barrel....as I did not feel like draggin the bench out in the snow this morning, but I just had to see what she was capable of. I had to work alot all week and could not play, but this morning Temptation plumb overruled.

I now have a matched (sort of) pair, this one in 30/30 and my proven shooter a straight stocked K-prefix (1953) 35 remmy look right nice together on the rack...color me tickled.

Thanks for listening,

Michael
    Last edited by 357maximum; 03-22-2008 at 08:43 AM. Reason: added dates

Banned

my old ballard adl does as well. they were wonderful guns and you got a hell of a deal on that one.

Boolit Master
    Nice score there 357 . I only have Winchesters in 30-30 but someday will have a Marlin , I keep looking , the one is a saddle ring and will probably become a wall hanger as I don't really want to change the sites on it , the other one is a fixer-upper , someone had sprayed it with some black paint of some sort , looks like it was a truck gun but it don't shoot too bad with my eyes . It did come with a peep on it so when the time comes to get it redone it will look alot better than it does now but it's still just a shooter . Again , congrats on your new addition .
    Only dumb question is the one not asked

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOoA

Boolit Mold
    I own a 1948 Marlin 336 30-30 and a 1952 336SC .35 rem. I know the argument is MG is ok but in my book there is no substitute for ballard rifling!