RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .45 acp single shot

Boolit Master
    I would like to see those results when you finish it John. Sounds like a interesting bugger.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master
    http://www.gunadapters.com/12-gauge-...finder-series/

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=489595952

I have a smooth bore 12 gauge to 40 s&w just because it's fun to play with and quiet enough you don't really need ear plugs. I have an Ithaca 66 buck buster 12 gauge I will probably end up buying the 8" rifled adapter for rabbit hunting.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master
    Theres a photo in one of my books that I can't remember right now..Hatcher's? of a 1903 Spgf. chambered in .45ACP as an experimental tryout.

Boolit Master
    Anyone try Short Lane 10 in adaptors? http://www.gunadapters.com/ or X caliber brand? http://gearupcenter.com/products/x-c...er-system.html

I do have a shotgun adapter that lets me shoot 9mm in .410.

My problem is I get 2 or maybe 3 shots then the cases dislike to be removed. I have to run a rod down and may or may not get it out. So instead of doing it that way I bought some Magtech brass cases and just load the bullet in the long brass case with several wads and an overshot card glued on top to hold it in place.

About the same accuracy and no issues reloading.

I think that shotgun adapters are better than nothing. If you are going to do it I would go with the longest one you can find, and insist on rifled not smooth bore. Most of the 3" .410 to 9mm adapters are not rifled.

My .357 Mag. adaptor is a Dina Arms. Its aluminum and is rifled but, accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. A longer one that is steel and rifled would probably be ok.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Here's a picture of my Marlin 1894 lever gun I had redone in 45 ACPClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20150423_190733_Richtone(HDR).jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	143182

Quote Originally Posted by xdmalder View Post
    Here's a picture of my Marlin 1894 lever gun I had redone in 45 ACPClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20150423_190733_Richtone(HDR).jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	143182
    That's cool as can be. I love it. Is the barrel 16"?
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    Please tell us who converted the Marlin. And it is a single shot, correct? Accuracy and favorite load?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    John Taylor converted my .45 Colt Cowboy Limited to .45 ACP. It is a repeater. I use the same H&G68 200-grain SWCs I do in my M1911A1, with 4.5 grains of Bullseye for 1000 fps and I get 2-inch, ten-shot groups at 50 yards.

He also made .45 ACP, .38 Special and .44-40 rifle barrels which interchange on my pre WW2 H&R .410 shotgun.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    You have some really nice rifles.

16 3/4" barrel Ranger Point Precision in Texas did it. He has prices on his website

I think it would be very practical. I like the turkish bolt action conversion, I have a H&R pardner junk 12ga barrel (or two) I have set aside to do .45 ACP builds on (along with others) as soon as I decide on a method of doing it. completely threading the stub and fitting it like a savage 110 barrel is what I'm leaning towards.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    I'd agree that a rimmed case is the natural one to use in a break-open rifle. The auto-rim would work, but it's expensive brass which may be hard to find locally, or at some future date maybe anywhere. You would probably have to cut the rim recess separately unless you spend a lot more for a custom reamer, and in the actions named I think you could use the extra powder capacity of the .45LC, and/or use a bullet with a longer cylindrical surface.

I have built 2 handi rifle barrels in 45 ACP. Both of them I used a Green Mountain barrel blank and turned them to fit shotgun barrels as a thick walled liner. Both of them shoot very well and with a modified 410 ejector they eject perfectly.
    I found a seller on EBay that has short 10"+ pre chambered liners at good prices and bought a couple of them to experiment with. I used one of them to make a 12 ga. adapter with, the liner is 5/8" OD. so I turned a short 12 ga. head sized piece of aluminum with a rim and pressed it onto the end of the 5/8" tube to headspace it. at the muzzle end I turned a short piece of PVC plastic and pressed it on the muzzle end of the adapter and turned the OD to .725 so it would slip in the 12 ga. bore.
    I first tried it on a shotgun I had a red dot sight on and it shot into under 1" groups at 30 yards so I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy.
    My next project is to take the barrel off my HI Point JHP in 45 ACP and drill and ream the ID of the factory 4.5" barrel to 5/8" and epoxy in the other liner I have. It will be threaded 5/8- 24 at the muzzle so I can screw on some other home made attachments.
    I wanted to mount a red dot sight to the HI Point but didn't want to mount it to the slide as it would take quite a beating and don't want to put a hi quality $400 sight on a $140 gun.
    I found a 1" diameter aluminum blank that is pre threaded 5/8-24 on EBay and took it and milled the top with a dovetail cutter and now a small compact red dot can clamp on it and be threaded on the barrel. I also made a muzzle brake and other gadgets to screw on the muzzle to experiment with.

Jedman

Boolit Grand Master

Caution; Having built several 45 ACP rifles based on Mauser actions and a SMLE you must understand that with bolts having front locking lug creates a very large "jump" for the short stubby 45 ACP cartridge to go from magazine or single shot feed ramp to the chamber. 100% reliable feeding takes quite a bit of adjusting, especially if other than RN bullets are used. A CF feed is needed and only those with a proper bolt face to catch and hold the case rim will be reliable. The N0 4 or SMLE are the best bolt actions for conversion.

If your single shot has an extractor made for or readily adapted for use with a rimless case the 45 ACP is as easy to use and as accurate as with a rimmed case. I have Contender barrels for both the 45 ACP and the 45 Colt (plus numerous other barrels for rimed cartridges) and find no difference in usage between them. What I find amazing is the amount of ammo one can go through with a single shot!

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Here in the US 45 AR is readily available and no more expensive than 45 ACP. Several years ago I bought a case of Remington and Starline manufactures it as a regular item.

Super Moderator

............I built a 45ACP on a Spanish Destroyer carbine when they were available from Century Arms for $69.

About the same time Gun Parts Corp has some steel Lyman receiver sights available for $28 that they had no idea what they fit. Didn't matter to me as I needed one.

Come to find out later on they were special made for a H&R (I think it was left handed 22 target rifle).

Bolt open showing one of the 2 opposed rear locking lugs. Right photo showing both.

Breech for the 45 ACP. A fairly large hole. Right with the bolt closed.

I was probably stupid, but using EC43 cases (Evansville Chrysler, steel cases) I managed to propel a Lee 457-405 slug (sized .452") to 1100 fps from a 45 ACP case. I'd tried earlier with brass cases but after a couple firings they'd crack internally around the walls at the base. I think that is what is called a clue?! The powder was Blue Dot, but I won't add how much, nor do I suggest it. Didn't seem to hurt the action any and I still have the carbine, but this isn't a suggestion that you try it.

We all do some stupid things in our lives, and some of us God looks over enough to have survived to pass along our recommendations to not try the same kind of shenanigans.

...................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

I thought about building a 45 ACP conversion adapter for my Buff Classic. Get a shot gun 45 acp adapter, milling to fit inside the 45/70 chamber and paper patching cast rounds. They should go down the 45/70 nicely.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Buddy
    During WWII the Brits came up with a .45 Carbine built on a Lee Enfield called a Delisle carbine. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Lisle_carbine

From time to time small companies pop up with kits for making a home built version of a Delisle. I have a friend who has one without the built in suppressor that is a joy to shoot.