MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .45 acp single shot

Boolit Master

.45 acp single shot

Of course it's not practical but would be fun. Which CVA or H&R rifle caliber could be easiest chambered for and then rebored to .45ACP?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Any small break open .410 shotgun. I just had John Taylor make a complete barrel assembly so that I still have the shotgun option. Also had .44-40 and .38 Special barrels done.

Attachment 141868Attachment 141869Attachment 141870
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-11-2015 at 11:42 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Something I have always wanted to do is a long barrel single shot in a pistol caliber. Load it subsonic and enjoy quiet shooting. I'm thinking in the 28-30" range. H&R did those Buffalo Classics. The .38-55 was 28" and could be rebored to .45 ACP. The .45-70 was 32" and might possibly be relined.
    Rule 303

Boolit Master

Sort of reminds me of my 22lr with a 29" barrel. With target ammo it sounds like it has a silencer. The 45 acp is fun in a light rifle. I'm working on a Mauser 93 shortened up with a 45 acp barrel. As soon as I get the mag to work I will post some pictures.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals

I put a Shilen .452" barrel blank on a 1903 Turkish Mauser and chambered it for 45acp.
    I can load it past 45 Super and 460 Rowland levels and shoot groups at 100 yards.

Boolit Master
    H&R made a 45 long colt version with iron sights that I always wished I could have gotten one of. The problem I see with 45 acp is that it spaces on the neck instead of a rim. Some folks that doesn't bother, me I like a rimmed round.

Still interesting.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Goodolboy I agree, rimmed cases and break action single shots just go together.

Boolit Master
    I built a Turkish Mauser as a 45 acp with the barrel and magazine insert from Troupsystems. If I were going to do it over, I would make this on a small ring Mauser because the large rings are heavy for a carbine. The '93 is an excellent choice, but you'll need to grind off the square chin on the bottom of the bolt to get it to feed from a 1911 magazine. The main problem that people have with these (Mauser) conversions is with feeding. The short stubby rounds sometimes try to point down as soon as they leave the magazine. Sometimes the rifle needs a feed ramp to help guide the round into the chamber. I've seen where some people weld in a piece of metal, and then shape it until the rounds feed properly. I did something different. I had some cans super hard epoxy: the stuff set up like a rock. I masked and dammed off the area between the magazine holder and the original Mauser feed ramp, and then cast in a feed ramp. It wasn't too different from glass bedding a stock. Since then I've gotten near 100% reliable feeding.
    Green mountain barrels sells a "gunsmith edition" barrel blank in 45 caliber for not too much coin. There are lots of options for building a rifle in this caliber, either single shot or repeater. Here's what to expect; I have done all the gunsmithing tricks to improve accuracy and reliability on this Mauser because I built it as a learning tool for sporterizing other rifles: Timney trigger, crowned muzzle, lapped the bolt lugs, etc. So, I think that the accuracy that I'm getting should be typical for this round in a carbine. I shoot cast bollits in both 185 grain SWC, and 230 grain RN. I also shoot J word bullets in 230 grain round and flat point. All of the rounds shoot the same size group, at the same point of aim at 50 yards. I'm averaging just under 2", with about one and three quarter inch groups if I do my job. The rifle is about as loud as a standard velocity 22 long rifle, and even though I wear hearing protection while shooting it at the range, I don't while hunting. A rifle of this caliber is good for short range varmint blasting up to jackrabbits and coyotes, and makes a good camp gun. It's a good gun for kids and women to shoot, because there is no recoil and very little report.
    Many people will claim that a rifle in 45 acp has no practical purpose. They are mistaken. It is a fun rifle to shoot, and with cast bollit loads is cheaper than a 22. The only recommendation that I can give is to make the rifle as light as possible. With no recoil to speak of, extra weight is just more stuff to carry. Attachment 142081

Boolit Master

I know it would fun,,, be so practicality is unimportant. A single shot would be inexpensive and fun, if it is accurate even more funner. Here is a pic of a conversion of a LE to 45acp. It is a mismash of parts, i assume rhinemetal and or speacial intrest arms, know idea came to me i a box.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150614_092339.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	142083
    be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Mold
    45 Auto rim. Old WWI cartridge. Starline brass makes them. A 45acp with a rim.

Boolit Master
    yeah there's also a 45 cowboy special? can't remember somebody sent me some brass for my collection for it (Still appreciate that by the way). All in all I like the idea of a 45acp single shot, just like I said I prefer a rimmed straight wall. Still I can see it being a fun nice little rifle.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

When John Taylor did the barrel for my .45 ACP single-shot, he used a .38-40 reamer to rough the chamber, so that it would have a rim seat for using either .45 Cowboy Special or 5 in 1 blank cases for shot loads, then he finish reamed the chamber with a .45 ACP reamer so that the proper stop surface would be there for the case mouth to headspace on. The shoulder diameter and angle of the .38-40 reamer produces a perfect ball seat and throat to enable seating .45 Colt bullets out a bit, and their forepart engraves upon chambering like Eley Tenex does in your favorite .22 match rifle. The rifle is very accurate with standard .45 ACP ammo, extracts and ejects the rimless cases fine, but the extractor cams out of the way to clear the case body until the action is closed when using .45 Cowboy or 5 in 1 long shot.

Attachment 142275 Attachment 142276Attachment 142277Attachment 142278Attachment 142279
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

John Taylor, I have an old break open .410 that is just begging for a .45 ACP barrel.!!

Gary

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Light attack View Post
    John Taylor, I have an old break open .410 that is just begging for a .45 ACP barrel.!!

Gary
    Are you looking to get rid of it or do you want me to put a barrel on it for you. Best to PM me either way.

Boolit Grand Master
    Outpost75, I like the looks of your rear sight. Seems very practical to me.

Robert

I love it. A .45 ACP rifle has a lot of appeal. Would make a decent hunting/target/plinking rifle.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Outpost75, I like the looks of your rear sight. Seems very practical to me.

Robert
    John's clever mod to the XS peep to a 3/8" dovetail base!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

.45acp is indeed one of the 2 single shots I want but have not yet found.

Other is a 9mm Luger single shot.

What can I say, I love pistol caliber rifles.

Boolit Master
    See when this thread started as was very neutral on a 45 acp single shot. Now I've got it stuck in my noggin, and then GhostHawk had to go and mention a 9mm version so now I'm thinking that would make a heck of a plinker....

If I had a spare H&R action and the funds I wouldn't hesitate to contact John Taylor about either or both.... dangit I can't afford to keep reading these threads Yet I know I won't stop....

Anybody else who gets one PLEASE share pics!

GoodOlBoy

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GoodOlBoy View Post
    See when this thread started as was very neutral on a 45 acp single shot. Now I've got it stuck in my noggin, and then GhostHawk had to go and mention a 9mm version so now I'm thinking that would make a heck of a plinker....

If I had a spare H&R action and the funds I wouldn't hesitate to contact John Taylor about either or both.... dangit I can't afford to keep reading these threads Yet I know I won't stop....

Anybody else who gets one PLEASE share pics!

GoodOlBoy
    I know what you mean, every time someone comes up with a good Idea I try building one for my self. I have one shotgun with no barrel and some place along the way I picked up a box of 28 gauge brass shells. Doing a little reverse engineering I found out the brass would take a bullet that is .590" in diameter so I made a barrel that size. Now I just need some time to finish it. Looks close to the 577 Snider but without the bottle neck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast