RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powder Coat ?

Powder Coat ?

I know I will make some guy mad but here goes. Those of you that PC have too much time on your hands ! PC is cleaner than lube but other than that it looks like a waste of time and money.
    I have read most threads on here about PC and find there's no real advantage . We are in a shooting sport here not a beauty contest.
    Those that want to PC, go for it. As for me, I will cast and shoot until I find an advantage to spend the extra time !

My 2 cents .

I thought 100% the exact same way!
    Then I had a new caliber, 300BO, and for the tiny investment in some powder, thought I would give it a try, expecting it to require a lot of work to get it right. Boy, how wrong I was. Normally used a heated Lyman 4500 and what seems like a constant effort of grating the brick of white labels carnauba red so that I could insert the small shavings into lubsizer, was getting old very quick. (HOT Florida requires a firm lube that can withstand constant high temperatures). If PC did not work, would have switched to hollowed tubes of lube, but still something that always seems to need adding more. Went right to Smokes finer powder, so I was sure to get best results with little effort, instead of HF method.

PC is much quicker and easier than lube-sizing, and only a tad slower than tumble lube. Have not seen any loss of accuracy. I hate colors as well, and only PC to save a bunch of time, money and mess. Of the 3 original powders I ordered from Smoke, two were the most common with great end user results posted, and the third was clear color, which is what I plan on using for everything after initial testing is complete. If PC was not as accurate, no way would I continue to do it. Perhaps in long range rifles it might not be as accurate? But sub 1" at 100 yards is good enough for me, and PC meets that goal.

To clarify the method I use.
    1/2 teaspoon of powder hand tossed around with 250 slightly pre-warmed boolits for a minute in margarine container. Dump into fry basket. Repeat and now have 500 boolits in the fry basket. Basket into preheated toaster oven. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Remove from toaster over, shake basket a little to lossen any stuck, lower into pan of cool water to make it instantly easy to handle, dump onto towel and separate any that were still stuck together. It leaves some marks where they were stuck, but less than 5% stick, and marks or bare spots have not shot any different than those with complete coverage. Done, ready to load if you have the correct mold for the barrel. Otherwise, some require sizing thru Lee push through sizer. So there is the time savings. Saving time saves money that I could be making doing something else. Also do not need to purchase any special Lubesizer press, and the couple lee push thru dies that might be needed cost less than H&I dies.

Nothing special to cleanup in loading dies or barrel, as they load and shoot like jacketed. In 10 seconds, everything used to PC is put away, ready to use next time.
    Last edited by RobsTV; 06-10-2015 at 12:54 PM. Reason: speelin

Boolit Master

I'm giving it a try for two reasons, first is I need to get some 9mm up to 357 magnum and it looks like pc will do that for me, second I want to make something "differant" for the wife to shoot with.

That reminds me of another savings. Can push the powder coated 155gr 300BO boolits past 1900fps, without any gas check! Zero leading or issues. Nothing clogging gas system. Skipped GC with 30 M1 Carbine as well. 357 and 500 S&W tests without gas check are up next, but based on results from 300BO, should be no problem at all.

Make it my 3 cents worth, as that is the per boolit savings just from skipping gas checks.
    Last edited by RobsTV; 06-10-2015 at 12:29 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    In addition to not gumming up my dies, the main attraction for me is the ability to shoot any speed I like, using range scrap (cheaper and more available) instead of wheelweight lead (disappearing and costly). But I also like the colors, as do the wife and my Mom.
    I could hang my gun in a Wal-Mart cordura holster on my regular work belt, but I prefer a nice tooled leather job with a big ol genuine silver buckle, even though I only shoot alone at my own range.

If anybody doesn't want to PC, they won't see me twisting their arm. Doesn't make me mad a bit.
    Happy shooting!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenbender View Post
    I know I will make some guy mad but here goes. Those of you that PC have too much time on your hands ! PC is cleaner than lube but other than that it looks like a waste of time and money.
    I have read most threads on here about PC and find there's no real advantage . We are in a shooting sport here not a beauty contest.
    Those that want to PC, go for it. As for me, I will cast and shoot until I find an advantage to spend the extra time !

My 2 cents .
    Sorry you feel that way. Looks you have a strong opinion WITHOUT EVEN TRYING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't go bashing (in a new thread no less!) something many of us like that you obviously know nothing about. I used grease until the PC techniques came along and we all developed them for what we do. I ESPC and BBDT, both with excellent success and NOT a waste of time.

You said it: "PC is cleaner than (grease) lube". BINGO. What more reason does one need? No grease mess on anything in the loading room, in your pockets, in your range bag, and no barrel cleaning to speak of. And no grease smoke when shooting. I shoot a lot inside and makes a BIG difference.

If you want to grease, have at it. Just do not bash PC from just reading about it!!!!!! Do it. Try it.... before blowing off steam.

Grease people have their views. PC people have their views. Let's agree............ to strongly disagree!

MY 4¢ worth!

banger

I just started Hi-tek coating, very simple. I am looking into PC, pretty cheap compared to even quality bullet lubes, but does seem more labor intensive, as the prebaked coating is pretty fragile compared to say Hi-Tek. May not be an issue for a few 100 rifle bullets, but we'll see. Still, advantages of low cost & little smoke are appealing. It didn't take me long to embrace coatings as an alternative to conventional lubes. I am not selling my Star anytime soon, but it may get used less going forward.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Love Life
    Nothing like some good ol' trolling to get the blood pumping.

LOL I knew someone's cage would rattle. LOL

Love Life
    I know I will make some guy mad but here goes. Those of you that PC have too much time on your hands !

Well, the time is better spent on PC'in bullets than surfing dirty movies on the internet. Maybe...

PC is cleaner than lube but other than that it looks like a waste of time and money.

Have you PC'd any boolits? Have you loaded and shot PC boolits? What if I were to tell you that in my pistols, accuracy with PC was either equal to or greater than accuracy with traditionally or tumble lubed bullets? What if I had over a year's worth of targets, with data, in numerous handguns to prove it. Do you have anything on your end to back up your claim that it is a waste of time and money?

I have read most threads on here about PC and find there's no real advantage .

Aside from equal or greater accuracy in multiple handguns, you have significantly less smoke (if any), much less fouling in the firearm, and a much cleaner reloading experience.

We are in a shooting sport here not a beauty contest.

Concur. It's not about the beauty. It's about the performance with additional benefits listed above.

I will, and good for you.

My 2 cents .

My responses are in red. About the only thing I'm unsure of is if my time is better spent PC'ing bullets or surfing the web for dirty movies and new rap videos.

ETA: Wait...there is more!!!

Of note, while the PC and HT encapsulate the projectile, a sharp throat can ruin your best efforts...sorta...depending on boolit shape.

In the time I have been testing these shenanigans, when a sharp throat was encountered that tended to shave our precious .001-.002 oversized coated bullets, leading showed up. Oddly it was in the end of the barrel and appeared remarkably similar to traditional lube running out. Neat. That could be over come by switching to a bullet design with a less sharp, or smooth, transition to full diameter like a WFN, WLN. LSWC were no bueno with a sharp throat.

However, when using the same bullet designs with the lube groove filled with a good lube, no leading was experienced. Neato!!

Usually if PC failed, then tumble lubed fail but not vice versa.

There's more, but I would have to dig it all up. I keep my targets most of the time, with the data, and notes. Flukes amuse me. Trends get me all hot and bothered because trends tend to equal troof.
    Last edited by Love Life; 06-10-2015 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    My responses are in red. About the only thing I'm unsure of is if my time is better spent PC'ing bullets or surfing the web for dirty movies and new rap videos.
    With PC'ing, you can do it all. While it is baking, you won't be wasting time operating a lubesizer, so you can use your hand for other things.... Like clicking on websites.

Ok. Some one explain these things , that are in threads on this forum. Sizing then washing in something to remove the oil. Buying a compressor and pc gun. PC all over the reloading room. Overspray tags on boolits that need another sizing to remove. PC not covering and needing a second coat. PC in the eyes. Performance not as good as a sized and lubed boolit. I know some will say performance is good or better. I'm not talking minute of paper plate here.
    It is a hobby and what ever you like is fine. On this forum there's as many cons and pros. Maybe someone can give me a good reason to try it sometime. I will always be open minded. Until I find a performance advantage I will do it the old fashion way.. lol Use my extra time shooting.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    You said you don't want colored boolits and it seems that you are happy with the condition of your dies, so if you don't have a gun that is leading up with what you are using, and you got a good supply of lead that is hard enough for your needs..... there is no reason for you to try it.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Love Life
    Ok. Some one explain these things , that are in threads on this forum. Sizing then washing in something to remove the oil. Buying a compressor and pc gun. PC all over the reloading room. Overspray tags on boolits that need another sizing to remove. PC not covering and needing a second coat. PC in the eyes. Performance not as good as a sized and lubed boolit. I know some will say performance is good or better. I'm not talking minute of paper plate here.
    It is a hobby and what ever you like is fine. On this forum there's as many cons and pros. Maybe someone can give me a good reason to try it sometime. I will always be open minded. Until I find a performance advantage I will do it the old fashion way.. lol Use my extra time shooting.
    You'll never find a performance advantage if you never try it. All your questions are answered in all the threads you claimed that you read.

Try this: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...at-Shenanigans

I have many targets from many guns and many boolit types using traditional lube, HI-TEK, PC, LLA, and BLL. Targets are from 20-25 yds without a rest. When I get a break from the suck I will be sending boolits to a member with a ransom rest to test against each other.

I still have a Lyman 4500 and a Star luber and still shoot quite a bit of traditional and tumble lubed bullets.

I use coating as another tool in the box.

Doesn't matter what one thinks, like Fords and Chevys, you made you bed, live in it.

I like to experiment, diversify, and formulate my own opinion. You do what you want, I'll do the same and have more fun at it.

Just my rant.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Ok. Some one explain these things , that are in threads on this forum. Sizing then washing in something to remove the oil. Buying a compressor and pc gun. PC all over the reloading room. Overspray tags on boolits that need another sizing to remove. PC not covering and needing a second coat. PC in the eyes. Performance not as good as a sized and lubed boolit. I know some will say performance is good or better.
    Since you have NEVER DONE PC, all your observations are totally wrong. EVERY ONE of your comments above are totally wrong. Period.

I have NONE of these problems.....because I DO IT! You may have read obscure comments from lone wolves out there that have not figured out how to do PC, but the VAST majority of us are extremely happy with the resultant product. And no time is wasted.

ONE COAT does it for me 100% for ESPC and BBDT.

Already have 5 compressors! And BBDT needs NO compressor.

I spray outside and BBDT inside. No powder except on the boolits

Only with more than 4 batches will you get "flash" on the bottoms of the boolits that might cause problems. Just replace the NSAF (you DO know what that is, right?) with a new piece. With BBDT, I use the same piece for thousands of boolits with ZERO flash or sticking on NSAF.

I have sprayed and tumbled many MANY thousands of boolits over the past 2 years and have never ever had any powder in my eyes.

My performance AND accuracy is just as good and many times better than olde grease.

Why not be satisfied with your grease bath and do not post comments you know absolutely nothing about.

Those that know......DO. Those that do not know......only read.

Sold my lubrasizers. I'm a PC only guy now. Still have some 45-45-10, haven't used any lube in 6 months or more. No smoke, no sticky fingers, no oxidizing, no sticky dies, no persnickety lubrasizers, no heater in winter, no dirty dies. Lots o' positives. In my case, no more labor intensive once I got my method down. No real equipment past toaster oven. I had lee sizers already. Invested in 4 colors from smoke4320, should last years. Did I mention, super clean bores and no lube blowback in my guns?

Have never owned spray rig for PC, tumble only, cure in a $20 cheap oven that these guys give me grief about... Use a bit better grade PC than harbour freight. Size thru normal cheap Lee sizer dies. Load and shoot without leading. And here is my newest experiment, 37gr 223 bullets for my 22TCM. I added some gas checks to a few to test difference. PC is easier, cleaner. Oh and yes that is a small pistol primer.

Boolit Master

I am so confused about the grease being mentioned being in my lube and it getting all over the loading dies. There is none in the Carnauba Red, which is a wax-based lube, and I can lube & size pistol boolits faster than any PC method that exists. There is no sane reason to change, IMHO.

Also, I have yet to see photos of HV rifle targets beyond 100 yards that prove the superiority of PC over other lube and methods.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    I'll admit I enjoy getting away to do PC and other reloading-related activities, mainly because I don't get out to shoot as often as I'd like, and reloading gets my my "gun fix." I have to take issue with your assertion that there's "no real advantage." I've tried tumble lubing, I know it's fast. It's also smoky (I shoot IDPA indoors, can't see the target through the smoke), it gets your fingers sticky, and it gums up your dies. No thanks. Now that I've tried both lube and PC, I'll never go back to lube. You are right, though, that it takes more time. That, to me, is the only potential downside, if you don't enjoy doing it like I do.

Disclaimer: I do not PC for rifle, only for up-close handgun (15 yards or less). Heck, I don't reload AT ALL for rifle yet, and since all I have in the rifle department is 223/5.56 gas guns, I'd likely just go J-word anyway.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast