Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrading my Lubesizer...need advice.

Boolit Bub

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by novalty View Post
    Well I've sold off some of my equipment, and will be purchasing a Magma Star Sizer in the very near future. Just messaged Chris with some questions before placing an order for a .358 and .452 dies, top punches, and roller handle. I'll have to save up more for other accessories to add on as I see needed. Right now I am not sure how I should proceed with lube. I have about 8 hollow-tube sticks of TAC1 left over. Would prefer not to run a heater, but not sure if many have run TAC1 in their Star. Looks like a lot of people use White Label Lube's BAC, or Magma's Jake's Lube (Javelina).
    I just bought a brand new Star sizer last month and they had them in stock, however I did have to wait a week to get my bullet feeder. It is a great piece of equipment and well worth the money. If you're not getting the bullet feeder I would strongly recommend adding a spring to keep the handle in the up position, if you don't do this you eventually sooner than later we'll get your finger pinched! I would also recommend setting up the machine with some kind of heat source to soften the lube, regardless what you use, It just plain makes things easier.

I also have rheumatoid arthritis and my main reason for getting the Star was that it can be automated with the air lube assist and a cylinder to actuate the up and down motion. This is a real benefit if you have RA. Before I got my Star I could only lube a couple hundred bullets in an evening, on my Lyman 450, without making my hands sore. With the Star, set up with lube air and stroke cylinder I can lube as many bullets as I wish and doesn't bother me a bit! If you are handy, and don't mind doing a bit of scrounging, you can come up with a parts to do a power assist on the handle for less than $100 (e-bay is your friend). Best money I have spent in a long time!

JMHO

Boolit Master
    I got a magma about a month ago and it is a wonderful machine.the only problem I have now is shooting all the bullets.got it with .452 sizer but got top punch so I could do 9mm as well. Glad I did I can spend twice the time with it . got it in about a weak or so after orderd . I use simple mix of bee's wax and crisco with a little Olive oil no heat works great and easy

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    I got a magma about a month ago and it is a wonderful machine.the only problem I have now is shooting all the bullets.got it with .452 sizer but got top punch so I could do 9mm as well. Glad I did I can spend twice the time with it . got it in about a weak or so after orderd . I use simple mix of bee's wax and crisco with a little Olive oil no heat works great and easy
    Let me guess, with that concoction you are probably powdering those boolitz behinds with Holly Black?

Well the first addition to my Magma Star sizer was a $2.35 spring and two $0.19 cotter pins to keep the handle upright. The cotter pins were the easiest to pick out as I brought the sizer with me, and picked the largest that would fit in the roll pins. The spring was packaged and the first one I tried was not strong enough and the handle fell down and extended the spring. Ended up getting Hillman #81 (item#540243)--which is 1/4" OD, 1-7/8" long, and .054 wire size. This did the trick of returning the handle to the upright position. My only concern is how long the cotter pins will hold out--guess time will tell but for $2.88 it is a cheap experiment. Picked up some spare o-rings while I was there too 15/16 x 3/4 x 3/32 (part#116).
    Last edited by novalty; 07-13-2015 at 02:50 PM.
    My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=novalty

Boolit Master
    While the machine is amazing on it's own, there are some things you should go with esp. with Arthritis.........Handle of sorts(from Lathesmith)
    Dies and punches(from lathesmith)
    Air sys.
    Heater, minimally the Lyman $50 unit
    ENJOY!!!!!

Boolit Master
    Yes sir tried it on pan lubing 50 bp worked Good so I tried it on 45 acp when I started casting for it ,and I am going to do it with the 9mm as well.it's little grease but no leading .I don't mind a dirty gun but I want a. Clean bore .if it works it works.

Well the spring and cotter pins I got worked. Had to pinch the opening so it was smaller and more of the pin slid through to the back to be folded over. Also got one of Kyle's air kits added to my Star, just waiting on the heater base to arrive so I can modify the top of my stand.

Last edited by novalty; 07-23-2015 at 06:52 AM.
    My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=novalty

Just use a heat gun or hair dryer on tube and it will warm lube enough for the small volume that you are doing.

Boolit Master
    Get the bullet feeder next. It sure keeps your fingers clear of the ram. Rod

Novelty.
    I melt mine down in the microwave and pour it in the star. (Be sure to cover bleed hole) works great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12