MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheet Lead

Boolit Bub

Sheet Lead

Friends, guy I work with gave me some sheet lead.
    Said a buddy of his is a contractor and salvaged this.
    I'm thinking dentists office or something?
    Well what I am wondering is, that stuff is almost pure soft lead like water pipe or stick on wheel weights?
    Guy has a couple more of those rolls that he said he wouldn't attempt to load by his self.
    Trouble is, it's a 3 hour drive to where they are and I have no other business there or I would have them already.

Boolit Buddy
    3 hour drive or not, ypu need to go get them. Now.

In Remembrance

Figure cost at about $1 per lb. for pure soft lead, the distance traveled is half the fun of getting this for free! Jump in the van or truck and go get it! Figure you can sell some of it to defray costs.Robert

Pure lead. Could be sheathing for an x-ray room or the pan for a bathtub or shower. I'd drive three hours to get it. Love pure lead = got some BHN 6, 8 and 10 I'll trade ya.

Banned
    Road Trip !

Boolit Grand Master

Well, I'll be the stick in the mud... 3 hours drive one way? For how much weight? Less than 500 pounds and I wouldn't start the car.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    I got some sheeting in the same manner you described. Very nice lead. Mine was glued to sheet rock initially, so there was some leftovers still affixed and had to burn off when I melted it into ingots. That makes a nasty smoke, so make sure you have a good outdoor area for ingot-making.

Other than that, pretty easy stuff to work with. I got just shy of 400lbs of it and would happily go 3 hours to get a big pile of more of it if I had that opportunity!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Three hour drive... that's about 50 bucks in gas for me.... yep, if it's too much for him to lift, I'd spend an afternoon and go after it.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Shielding lead is considered near pure. Sometime it has a bit of Sb for stiffness (not enough to worry about), but I treat it as pure.

Depending on your "need" and $$ situation, getting it is well worth the time, gas, and travel. I always get pure when the chance pops up as it is the main % basis of all the alloy mixes we know and love!

bangerjim

Banned

I drive 3 hours just to get to work.
    a hundred [plus] pounds of lead?
    I'd not even have spent the time typing the question here and would have went and got it already.

Boolit Buddy
    Plus, us black powder guys really prize pure lead for our frontstuffers. The pile of sheeting lead I got is now all made into ingots, and once I settle on a ball size for my flintlock, I'll turn a few of those ingots into balls to run through my rifle.

Always have my eyes open for other opportunities and pure (or near pure) lead. I figure it doesn't spoil and won't get cheaper, so get it when the getting's good!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Meister, here's a good read for you that includes sheet lead hardness. Book mark it for future reference
    http://www.lasc.us/castbulletalloy.htm#UNS
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Geez, I'd be back already and trying to figure where I'm gonna stash my new treasure!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Beagle, what kind of tank do you drive????!!!!!????? Granted, hauling a load back would take more gas but my pickup would still do it for under $50.

Ok, Meister Mash, if you're dragging your anchor, where is this bonanza?

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Well, I'll be the stick in the mud... 3 hours drive one way? For how much weight? Less than 500 pounds and I wouldn't start the car.

Must be real nice to say you would pass it by if less than 500 lb.! You must live in the quicksand area of Pa near NY.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Must be real nice to say you would pass it by if less than 500 lb.! You must live in the quicksand area of Pa near NY.Robert

I'm down by the Philly airport.

A lost day, plus gas (probably tolls) and wear and tear on the car... Everyone makes choices. Maybe if I didn't have anything on the shelf I'd feel different.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    He's not alone. I wouldn't bother for less than a quarter ton either. A two hour drive one way is about the max I'd go for a few hundred pounds. This puts me in the Poconos or a little past Harrisburg. It's not that expensive to order certified alloy from a foundry. But you do need over $1k because you're ordering half a ton minimum.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    Beagle, what kind of tank do you drive????!!!!!????? Granted, hauling a load back would take more gas but my pickup would still do it for under $50.
    I got a 2007 Tundra SR5. It gets 18mpg. I was basing that on my trips to see Mom. It takes me 3 hours to get there (he said "it's a 3 hour drive to where they are") and a round trip burns 50+ bucks. Not sure how many miles it is, but it's right at 200 each way. (and that isn't hauling a quarter ton of lead one way)

Still.... worth a few hundred pounds of lead.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

If you spend $50 in gas and get 500 lbs. then you are talking about 10 cents a pound. There some downside to that great deal that I'm not seeing?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    I got a '79 chevy pickup, gets about 2 gallons to the mile. I would take a hatchet and drive three hours ANY day for 100lbs of pure sheet like that. Anything more is a bonus. And considering what sheet lead will sell for in S&S? I understand everybody has to make a choice, but I know what my choice would be.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm