Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little fellow shoots a big rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Little fellow shoots a big rifle.

Attachment 141687
    This was the highlight of the day at the range Sunday.
    This young fellow was fascinated by the XCB rifles and terrified of them at the same time. He thought they must be the loudest and most powerful rifles he had ever seen.
    I looked this kid up three benches down with his dad, and asked if he would like to shoot Felix.
    At first he was scared, but I asked him didn't he want his dad to take a picture of him shooting that big gun so he could show all his friends?
    I told him I would show him how to load the ammo, then I would shoot it the first time and he could decide.
    He was all over that.
    I loaded up five XCB with 10 grains of unique.

I got behind the rifle, tucked in, and got her zeroed on the target. I turned around and looked this kid right in the eye (he was a good safe distance away with both hands cupped over his ear muffs) and pulled the trigger with my left finger and let the rifle free recoil. It only moved 2" LOL!
    Kid got a big smile on his face and decided to give it a try!
    When he was done shooting the other four rounds, I took one of them and made him a dummy round to keep as a memento.
    That made my day, made his day, and made his dad's day, and was he last thing I did before packing up and coming home.
    Good times.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    Great job, Tim!
    Not many things make a man feel much better about himself, and his world!

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Moderator Emeritus

Great job Tim! Something that kid will always remember; a kind act and a positive association with shooting.

Boolit Master

Good for you! That young man will never forget that!
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Well done, Sir! Well done.

Boolit Grand Master

at one point while going through the loding process, the young fellow looked at the rifles in the rack and asked me if I had made these rifles? I told him I sure had.
    He said "Wow, I could never do that."
    I stopped what I was doing and I told him "Yes you CAN!"
    I asked him how old he was, and he told me he was 12 years old. I told him that when I was his age, I didn't know any more about building guns than he did, but I made my first one when I was 14, and I've been doing it ever since. I told him he can do anything if he works hard at it!
    I hope I was able to inspire him in some way to do whatever he wants to do. This kid was very timid, but he was attentive, and he was unwaveringly focused on what I was teaching him. A kid like that can do anything no matter how humble his beginnings are.

You done real good.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Well done!!!!

Boolit Buddy

nicely done Time well spent

Tim you have a honest to goodness God given , caring heart . I hope you and yours the very best in this life , as you deserve it. I knew a few men like you, as I can remember them from when I was a boy . But today your kind is a rare and precious find....

Well done Tim. We MUST pay it forward to get the youth involved!
    PJ
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Grand Master

Great job Tim. That kid will remember that forever (as will you). Great stewardship towards our shooting sports (and reloading/casting).

Boolit Master
    what is XCB rifles?

Boolit Master

I am thankful to have mentors like you Tim right here on this board. Thank you for sharing this with us and especially sharing part of your day with the young man. I am sure you were a highlight in his life and I am also sure it was a highlight for you as well. Now if we would go and do likewise.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    what is XCB rifles?
    X-treme Cast Boolit

its an experiment taken on by several members here to have a highly accurate high velocity (for cast) boolit and cartridge. Pushing the envelope per se.

Do a search. Very interesting reading. Tim (Goodsteel) is one of the key players.

Boolit molds are available from NOE.

Attaboy on you Goodsteel!

Need more like you around in my opinion.

Boolit Grand Master

The way I see it is, if it had not been for very talented men who took the time to help me when I was nothing, I would'nt be who I am today. Not by a long shot.
    I remember what it was like. I didn't have a clue why the older men were helping me. All I knew was that my curiosity was satisfied and I was gratful. Now I'm older and I would like to thank those men who contributed to my education, but they are for the most part, dead.
    The best any of us can do to show them that the time they spent on us was not wasted, and the best any of us can do to thank those who have passed on, and the best any of us can do to prove that the knowledge given to us was not squandered, is to freely give it away to some youngster who has a thirsty mind.
    I hope his dad calls me. I sure wouldn't mind spending a few more minutes with that young fellow. If that doesn't happen, I hope I'm not the last person who takes time to teach him something and broaden his horizons. That kid was like a sponge once he got over his nervousness, and yes, it was indeed an honor to teach him something and let him shoot my rifle.

I enjoy teaching others how to shootmore than actually shooting. I love to take folks from Europe out when they come to visit the plant. Most have never held a gun, much less shot one. I have NEVER had one not get that stupid grin when they pull the trigger.

Good Job Tim.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Buddy

Tim, May HE bless you immensely! CR

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Well done, Sir! Well done.
    ^^ This ^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast