Thread: Lever guns take a backseat to nothing

Boolit Master
    Part of Dad's gun wall in his old shop.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheShopGuns_001.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	141754
    I grew up with these and quite a few others.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I am closer and also interested. I can drive there faster!
    Probably save me money. I already have one NIB.

Boolit Master

Still not too pleased with this Remlin 336Y but it's slowly getting better. Maybe with a hundred years of use it will feel like how Marlin used to make them:

And did someone mention .44 magnum???

Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Boolit Grand Master
    Remember as a kid in grade school waiting to be old enough to deer hunt with my Father back then age 12
    I told him I wanted a Win.94 in 30/30 cal.
    Still have it
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Yup have many great rifles. Should have a new Henry 44 Carbin big boy by ends week. Load up some 44 Devestator cast bullets as well as some 255 grain Keith GC over a dose of unique.

Boolit Grand Master

I love a good levergun, seems I adopt most every nice one I can afford, lol. Now and then I trade up but it's a growing herd. If you keep your eyes open and a short stack of c-notes handy you can bring home some very nice leverguns.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned

It is the old West and cowboy stuff in all of us. Had a cap gun as a kid that took those round caps that fit the cylinder rear, about as close to a Colt SA I ever had.
    Then the Red Ryder BB gun and on and on.
    Today I ruin the feel with a scope, same as my revolvers with Ultra Dots but darn I need them now. Comes a time the slim, trim little rifle needs help.
    The magic is still there.

Boolit Buddy

The addiction came for me after having an assortment of bolts. Started with a Marlin 1895, the thrill of touching off a 45-70 is something that truly needs to be experienced.
    Then came the 1894's in 44 & 357. The 1894 357 is a joy to shoot always. So light & handy! A pistol cartridge rifle or 2 is a must have for me now.
    Eating supper one night a friend called me about a 35 rem waffle top. I tried to chew my food sufficiently while my wife was digging in her purse for some cash, probably the fastest meal I ever had. Beautiful craftsmanship and a very potent yet handy cartridge.
    All of the ones I own are Marlins, what am I missing in not having a Winchester?
    Levers are very prized to those that have tried them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by upr45 View Post
    All of the ones I own are Marlins, what am I missing in not having a Winchester?
    Can't answer that. I've owned several Winchester lever actions, but have never owned nor shot a Marlin.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."

Boolit Bub
    All lever actions are special too me. I have marlins, winchesters, savages, and brownings. Guess i'm just a sucker for lever actions.

Banned

WW is also great. My friend down the road has a 94 but he put brass tacks all over it like an Indian would do. Still shoots great though.

In Remembrance
    My first big game rifle was a lever action, and it just escalated from there. lol
    I shoot left handed and levers were just more natural feeling than right handed bolts. In the last few years I have started picking up some left handed bolts when I run across them and have the bucks laying around, but they just still don't feel right, and rarely even get shot.

Boolit Buddy
    I have levers from .218 Bee to 375 H&H, to 45-70. My Marlin .338 will put five Rem 250's in an inch at 100yds......what more could I ask?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by .45colt View Post
    I have levers from .218 Bee to 375 H&H, to 45-70. My Marlin .338 will put five Rem 250's in an inch at 100yds......what more could I ask?
    MMM, Winchester Model 65 218 Bee. Good for pretty much anything under 50 pounds out to 120 yards. Hard to find brass for.

- Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    "Then came the 1894's in 44 & 357. The 1894 357 is a joy to shoot always. So light & handy! A pistol cartridge rifle or 2 is a must have for me now."

I couldn't agree more. My 1894CS is always the funnest gun to shoot in my collection. It is smooth as glass, dependable, easy to load for, economical and accurate. And it packs a punch.

Attachment 142068

Attachment 142069

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by upr45 View Post
    Not a single thing. I'm not a fan of levers that are top eject. Even though I don't use scopes on them. Marlin"s are just work horses. Maybe not the prettiest but they flat out work. The Marlin actions are also stronger. I have no desire for anything bearing the Winchester name.

Boolit Master
    I am split kind of 50-50-50.

I have 2 Winchester 94's both 30-30(can't have to many),2 Marlins 1 in 41 Mag.and 1 in 45-70 and i also have 3 or so of those other levers you know the Savage 99.

I seem to shoot the Marlins more these days just because i used the 30-30 while turkey hunting and that place is no longer available to me.
    Have had a chance to shoot a Colt lightning in 45 Colt and another Marlin in 44 Rem.mag.
    I think that i have found a few more chamberings to get in a few more rifles.

Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I have several in different cal's and love shooting 'em all. Far more fun than my bolt action rifles!!!

And you can keep all your semi-automatic pistoles, too. Can't beat my favorite revolvers for fun and accuracy.

banger
    Couldn't agree with bangerjim anymore.
    I have no use for semi auto pistols. My revolvers are always cherished and I am far more accurate with them.
    Levers are just plain great guns and get the job done!
    Here in Wva with most shots at deer under 80 yards I still find myself packing around levers in 30 wcf and 44 magnum. A lot can be said for short carbines that are light, don't get caught on everything and open sights that do not get knocked off or fogged up with rain.
    I read an article some years back where an editor (can't remember his name) went to an LEF shooting event and all were using AR style rifles and blasting away. The editor was using an old lever gun and when he could he would thumb a few more round in the magazine and was always fully loaded.
    If memory serves he did extremely well in the shoot and the moral of the story was don't laugh at an old farmer carrying a lever gun, he just may know how to use it!
    Long live the lever and kudos to JMB.
    Lab
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master
    Grew up with Winchesters and now have to yank dragon's chain a little bit... If I could just find a Marlin that doesn't have that swollen forend and that ugly clevis kluge hanging down under the receiver, I might someday own one.

Don't forget, Hunt, Jennings, Smith, Wesson, Henry and Winchester were producing lever actions before John Marlin was out of school.

- Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast