Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Source for patched bullets

Source for patched bullets

Hello Folks,

I would like to try paper patched bullets in my CPA Stevens 44-1/2, 348 Winchester hunting rifle. Before I purchase a dedicated mold and start patching my own, I would like to purchase some patched bullets. There are several reasons, but the primary one is that I would like to know what to expect from paper patched bullets prepared by someone who knows how. That way I will have a standard to meet, a goal to attain once I begin patching my own.

Do you know of any place where I may purchase 100 high quality paper-patched 0.350" bullets (after patching), cast of soft lead, and weighing between 200 and 250 grains?

Thank you.

Take care, Tom

Tom, I do not kn ow of any place you can get patched bullets for the 348 Win. You might try Buffalo Bullets, but I don't believe that I have ever seen any for sale. I would get a sizer (push through like the Lee) made about .008 smaller than your rifles throat. If you fill the throat you are well on the way to good accuracy. Size your current cast bullet down and patch them wet with .002 thick tracing paper, lube (any paste wax will do) load and fire. Start with the beginning load for jacketed bullets with your slowest powder and work up.

Patched bullets are generally size specific and since there is relatively little interest (except by experimenters like us) in shooting them the only crowd that would buy any are the BPCR boys, and theirs will run 40 cal and up, and be sized to be used with black powder. Black powder paper patch tend to be BORE DIAMETER, and bullets used for smokeless powder tend to be throat size or GROOVE DIAMETER plus one to three thousands. The difference is that Black bumps the soft bullets up upon ignition, and they size them small so they will chamber despite the powder fouling. Smokeless powder gives a more gentle push hence we size them larger as they aren't bumped up as much.

A custom sizing die can be gotten from either Bullshot [maybe Bullshop] (about $30) or Richard Doughty (Doughty Enterprises in the Vender-Sponsors section for about $25) a lot of guys use Bullshot, but I have always used Richard and have had zero complaints and excellent service from him. Brodie

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

That would be Buckshot for the dies...aka Rick.

Yes, I've done a fair amount of business with Rick (AKA Buckshot). His work is top notch, his prices are fair, and his delivery is prompt. In fact, the sizing die I have for this caliber was made by him, and would serve equally well as a paper patched bullet sizer.

Thanks for the correction. I just had a senior moment.
    Brodie