Wideners Lee Precision
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Realistic Expectations for Cast Boolits

Boolit Master
    HI,
    1 CHEAPER SHOOTING,
    2 LOTS OF SHOOTING,
    3 2" AT 100YDS WITH A RIFLE,
    4 10" OR, IF HEAVEN SMILES, LESS AT 100YDS. WITH A PISTOL.
    5 FUN,

Boolit Master
    I normally get all one-hole groups at 100 yds. 5-shots=5 1-hole groups about 2-1/2 to 3" apart.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post
    I normally get all one-hole groups at 100 yds. 5-shots=5 1-hole groups about 2-1/2 to 3" apart.
    I love the way you think. Now I know how to qualify my shots.

Boolit Master

My realistic expectations are that I have the mold I want for the bullet weight I want and I don't have to go to the store to get them.
    I find that cast bullets is a disease that is worse than my addiction to lever action firearms.
    I find that I am using heavier bullets traveling at less speed than J-word bullets and getting so much more fun out of shooting.
    For instance I am working on using 300 and 350 grain bullets in my .375 winchester, you know the lever action rifle that all the gun writers labeled useless. Funny thing is none of them used them in the field on real game or they would have found out what those of that have them have they work great. Why the heavy bullets because I can and in the day the weight of the was more important than the speed as the powders of the day could only get it going just so fast. One reason they had such long barrels again to get all they could out of the bullet.
    So I am going backwards in time so to speak, heavier bullets, less powder and also less recoil so I can shoot more.
    back to the milk and cookies before they take my away ha ha
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

35 rem, 38-55, 375 win, and 444marlin all considered poor for hunting by modern gun writers are very effective with the right boolit. Hardly useless, but fast handling, and plenty for most N American game. And they beat a stick for bear defense.

Boolit Master
    Harry Pope once put four cast boolets through the same hole and a fifth was half way into that hole.
    I think the caliber was .32-40 and range was 200 yards.
    I expect this was from one of his false muzzle target rifles, the kind where the bullet is loaded from the muzzle and propelled by a blank cartridge inserted from the breech.

Boolit Master

I have a 38-55 Ruger #1 (all factory) that will print cloverleafs at 100 yards

382 Diameter cast bullet, with gas check sized to .380.
    30 Grains of 3031

Sweet load and gun, plenty capable for deer

Mike

First, for reloading _and_ casting, I came about them together and with the expectation of being able to shoot what I could not find ammo for.
    Since I have a collection of weapons hard to find ammo for this was of a high value to Me. This I have realized happily as expected, with the help of this Forum.

Then next, I expected to be able to become "store bought ammo" independant. Across calibers, gauges and weapon types, Common and uncommon.
    This too I am realizing with the help of this Forum and the sharing of Knowledge.

Higher expectations have grown , now that I have played a bit and accuracy and hunting ability have got me playing, thinking working and learning. I have perhaps expected too much in fps on a 30-06, .280. 7mm mag, etc and done silly things chasing high fps to find groups I could best with my .401 powermag or .41 mag pistols easily when the 30-06 started to tumble... so sometimes I have gone to places that casting might not be able to get, but then with a little "I told you so's" under my belt I slide back to reality and work back up, so really.
    Even when I get silly expectations along the way.
    Reloading and casting together ( hand in hand), Have far far exceded any expectations I truely had or have.
    I shoot cast, that I reloaded, that's , well just cool!
    Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.
    Ted Nugent

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post

I find that cast bullets is a disease that is worse than my addiction to lever action firearms.
    could be this site is too addicitive

Boolit Master

You might be right but it keeps me out of the bars and doing things that are fun and besides when I die look at the fun those folks are going to have trying to figure out what the heck I had this for.
    I find casting when I ever find all my stuff again, think divorce, packing and then moving and then packing and moving again. I hope to find most of my stuff before I have to move again and to even know where a lot of it is even this time. the ex gave me just a few hours to get my stuff and even then some of it got left and she just sold it for nothing to get rid of it.
    So I buy casting molds that interest me when I can find the money to buy them and will just enjoy what I have and hope to live long enough to have a whole lot of fun with them before I have to take a long dirt nap.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    My present expectations are to find a couple bullet styles that will shoot 1.5MOA or less.
    Then I would like to extend that level of accuracy out to as far as 500 yards.(5-7.5")
    Then take MOA steel plates and have a buddy set them out at various ranges.
    Say, 5 targets.
    When ready, i go to the shooting line and engauge the targets at unknown distances.
    The guy with thw least rounds fired after all the targets have been hit, wins the round.
    Fun stuff! And challenging!

Boolit Grand Master

It is worth going back and reviewing this sticky once in awhile, and have just done so. My expectations are limited by a number of things the most significant of which is ME. Then there are other factors such as production rifles, wind, mirage, quality of weapons, quality of scope, time-lack of time, and a number of other factors inclluding luck. Hate to mention HOPE in light of the current administrations hype on the word, but HOPE that I am capable of casting the best possible consistant projectiles, and loading them to their best accuracy. Then of course is the Pilot Error factor of me pulling the trigger. I only have three rifles that have what I would call pristine triggers and am probably to cheap to get a couple of Timney's to improve the issue. I do expect however that if I do all that I should to cast consistant blts, load to exacting standards, and shoot on days when the range Gods are with me, to stay under 3MOA with open sights at 100 with most rifles. (Boy talk about a run on sentence) Depending on which scoped rifles I am shooting, I hope to stay under 2MOA at 100. On a few of my rifles I hope and expect to stay under 1.5 MOA, and usually do. Once in awhile I am able to produce a MOA 5 shot group with 308 or 223, but the next group will almost always have a flier that will bump one out to 1.5. I expect that at my age and with my old eyes I am doing about as well as I am capable of. Overall, I am satisfied that I consider my expectations to be realistic.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

1shirt
    I find the biggest limiting factor in shooting and reloading and casting is me. With that in mind I see the expectations in that light and work with it to my advantage as often as I can. I like to shoot black powder and some really old calibers so you learn to expect less from your rifle, pistol whatever because of this and in doing so are more often pleased with your results because of just how much you have done yourself for yourself in creating that shot and hole in the target and you should be pleased with the results.
    When we talk about shooting at great distances and keeping a tight group just what is the best that the caliber firearm ever turned in with anyone using the same components that you did and what age where, what was the day like and most of all were they focused or were other issues on their mind also.
    Me I accept my limitations and enjoy being able to do what I do as well as I do. Most of all I enjoy seeing just how well I can still do after 50 years of shooting.
    my 3cents of paper Inflation don't you know silver and gold are to expensive and so paper money will go away too so I am not sure what we will use maybe used newspapers.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    Well as has been written, I got into casting simply because I refused to pay for a factory built bullet in either copper clad or Pb. It simply got to be more than I could handle wanting to shoot my 454 to REALLY learn it's finer points.

Even having to purchase most of my lead from folks here who are gracious enough to sell it, I am still beating the other cost. The best part is it has also opened up the door to new boolits for my other handguns and possibly even a few rifles.

I quit worrying about reloading cost on equipment years ago. IT will always pay for it's self even if it takes time, it's the consumables that will eat your lunch money up in a hurry. Now I don't have to pay $65 or more for only 500, if that, plus $10 or more in shipping, when I can easily get twice that many or more, from a box of ingots delivered and including shipping. Then with the ingots I can pour up what I want when I want it.

Boolit Grand Master

shdwlkr, If you get anywhere near Omaha, look me up and I'll buy you a cup of coffee, or we can go to the range or whatever. We have a lot in common. As close as I can figure it, have been shooting for over 60 years, starting with a 22 at 11 or 12 years old.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

1shirt
    I started with a 22 52 years ago here in a few months. I have been shooting ever since off and on. At one point when I went into the military I left my folks with 100 rifles to clean and take care of for me and no I don't have any where that many now, wished I did have them though so many that you can't find now and I just plain like them.
    If I ever travel east I will look you up. I have to go back to NYS one day to get some of my stuff that is still there I hope and will be traveling to bring it back out west here when I find a place that is mine and not a rental.

I shot my first muzzle loader a pistol when I was 18 I think it was but had to return it to the dealer as NYS didn't see the difference between a muzzle loading pistol and a center fire pistol and you had to be 21 to get a pistol permit.
    That would mean I have enjoyed shooting black powder firearms for 46 years now hope to make it a good 100 years on day.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Realistic expectations for cast boolits is all subjective to the individual and the desired purpose you are willing to explore. I'm multifaceted.

I like accuracy...
    10-shot group 1938 Mosin 91/30 "Izzy" using 173gr gc boolit. Fired at 50 yds from sitting.

I like defensive results...
    .40S&W 175gr. Lee TL SWC modified to a 160gr HP SWC by "yours-truly". Seated over 4.4gr Red Dot and running in the neighborhood of 850-900 FPS.

I like "old school"...
    155gr. Lyman 319-something sized down to .311 and patched up to .322 for my .32Win Spl. Sits over 29.5gr. H335 and exits the muzzle with authority at around 2200+ FPS. Deer beware...

These are just a few in a very long (and always growing) list of what I play with. What can be done is all in the individual and how involved you want to become.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Bub
    My expectations for cast boolits is I will get educated better about casting. So much info here.

My expectations about cast boolits are few and simple.
    1. more shooting per $
    2. more choice in what I load
    3. 2-3" accuracy at 100 yards

My expectations for Cast Boolits are also few and simple.
    1. Provide good information on the art of casting
    2. Expand my knowledge of hunting projectile performance
    3. A place to bounce ideas off of others with similar interests
    4. A place to "meet" new friends

I might say that each of my expectations listed here have been greatly exceeded. Did I set my expectations too low?

Boolit Master
    I got in to casting for my son and my grandson. We got lucky and found this forum and got in on some group buys for Mihec molds. The first time we cast bullets,I can't really explain the feeling of seeing those shiny bullets. I wish I had found casting a long time ago. Bottom line reason wise is accuracy. I get off on making small holes with something I created.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast