Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Operation Cast Lead is a success (lead from Behr Iron & Metals, Rockford, IL)

Post Operation Cast Lead is a success (lead from Behr Iron & Metals, Rockford, IL)

I just returned from picking up 100 lbs of pure lead from Behr Iron & Metal, Rockford, IL. I performed some interrogation on the suspect, and pried some close-hold information out....

NOTE to the thread NAZIs, I don't care, deal with it.

Behr sells lead in 50 pound (22x4x4) and 2,000 pound ingots. Pure lead is always in stock. Alloys are avalible with 24 hour notice. They will chop the 50 pounders into 3-4 pound chunks.

RESEARCHING SIZES. Lead Products in sow, ingot and notch bar forms
    http://nfmetals.com/wp-content/uploa...-sow-stock.jpg
    Wow, I think the washtub sized ingots are the "Sows", holy snap, Batman!

http://www.behrim.com/docs/default-d...bittalloys.pdf

Behr can beat the other folks on price because they don't make the small ingots. But lookit the chunks and ask yourself if you can live with lead at $1.30 / pound.
    Attachment 141377

To reach Andrew (VP Ops / Babbitt) his cell is (815) 378-4621. Email is asetter@behrim.com
    Normal hours are M-F 0700-1600

Though Behr runs round the clock (think of semis pulling in at all hours) you might want to stick to normal business hours. You might. If you need a different time to pick-up, call Andrew and he'll give you options.

1100 Seminary St, Rockford, IL 61105-0740

https://www.google.com/maps/place/11...ee73a19b?hl=en

Attachment 141378

HEAD ON A SWIVEL! Short sight distances, BIG vehicles, HEAVY material. Do NOT wander around. If you have not got a definate loading dock to pull up to (Dock 25 is actually 25-1, 25-2, and 25-3, all served by the same warehouse) park over on the South and carefully walk over to the entry door to be buzzed in. When in the office or warehouse, wait for a Behr employee to guide you or instruct you where you should be. Obey speed limits. Adjust speed as circumstances dictate!

Behr has been here a long time, and things had plenty of room in the early 1900s. But not so much now. Seminary St is a two-lane street. Add some sidewalk space, and that is it. There is an exit point on the right hand building where straight bed trucks come out... When I was pulling in, there was a big end loader about half in the street.... Turn West, go through the gate, find some parking to the south (most of the spaces near the building are Reserved...). Even though Google shows "Sayre Street" it is blocked off with a 10' high chain link fence. Another intelligent move, humans walking around, nice to have an area where large, heavy vehicles are -NOT- pulling through... shortcut to the dock is right through here, everybody can see me....

Go to the Entry door, there is an entry bell button on the bottom of the keypad. Either that, or call Andrew. When Andrew or someone lets you in, enter the building, through the short hall, go up the short stairs to the right, through the door, turn left. Andrew's opulent office is straight ahead. Enjoy the view through the windows... Stunning if the dock overhead door is open... The main building is stunning. Actually, having windows in a warehouse / dock office makes a lot of sense, safety wise, because you can see if a forklift is coming.

You need to be assimilated... The EPA wants to know who is receiving lead (or other hazardous materials). Payment is there, cash or CC.

I picked up my two buckets 1/4 filled with lead (50 pounds each!), and I am very glad the loading dock is for semis, because you can pick the bucket up, hold it to your chest, and turn and load your vehicle. Sure made things easier, lowering lead as compared to liftin lead...

Last edited by ohland; 06-05-2015 at 05:11 PM.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Bub
    Nice! Wish they had an operation near me.
    Last edited by Horseman1; 06-05-2015 at 03:59 PM. Reason: schpelling

Boolit Buddy
    Nice, I wonder how much it would cost to ship 50lbs. of it to Florida?
    NRA Lifetime member since 1956, NRA Endowment Member. Reloading since 1954. CBA Member Navy Vietnam Veteran USS Intrepid CVA 11

Quote Originally Posted by Horseman1 View Post
    Nice! Wish they had an operation near me.
    Sorry, closest Behr to you is Mason City, IA.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for posting this. I'm not too far away. I have a truck. I wonder if there would be any interest in a group buy? I could run it and stuff out in flat rate boxes. Any interest?

Banned

Local one will not sell anything. That is the main place you got it from. It will only benefit people in the area you are at.

Boolit Master
    Not close, BUT not far either; about 1.5hrs due south. Rt251/Int.39 is about 3miles west of me so directly North. Aunt/Uncle live in Rocford gonna have to give them a visit.....wouldn't you know it they just cut our overtime!! thats ok glad you posted b.c. at that price i'm all in.

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Local one will not sell anything. That is the main place you got it from. It will only benefit people in the area you are at.
    I looked at all the Behr locations, Rockford is the only one listing Babbitt / Lead alloys. On my way back across the Cheddar Curtain, I thought of the group buy as well. They can deal in 180,000 pounds of lead in a single transaction (multiple semis).

For those with propane smelters, and ability to make smaller ingots, this would be worth a group thing... For myself, I am NOT chopping a 2,000 (or even 1,000) pound ingot up.

You are entirely correct, this is a local thang... Opportunity here for other Booliteers to identify other metals places in their vicinity...

Like the price and the ability for local pickup.
    Last edited by ohland; 06-05-2015 at 05:42 PM.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadWoodDan View Post
    Not close, BUT not far either; about 1.5hrs due south. Rt251/Int.39 is about 3miles west of me so directly North..

Sweet deal coming up I39 from the South, take IL 2 exit, go north to 15th Ave, turn east, cross the river, and Seminary is pretty close.... There is a arched bridge just befor Behr. On the left is the Behr Den eatery, just past that is the entry gate.

Wisconsin and Illinois are in a contest to prevent smooth traffic flows... But the south route should be open, other than the construction on I39 south of Rockford... Just can't win.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!