RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The 1911 Is DEAD?? HUH????

Boolit Master
    I just watched the IPSC internationals and there were an awful lot of those "dead" 1911's being employed by the world's best handgunners.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by str8wal View Post
    Spray and pray is the mantra for tupperware guns.
    That statement is as ignorant as saying the 1911 is dead.

Boolit Master
    At USPSA matches they go down more often than most tupperware guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by str8wal View Post
    I just watched the IPSC internationals and there were an awful lot of those "dead" 1911's being employed by the world's best handgunners.

Boolit Master
    Uncle Sam thinks so for the Marines.
    Quote Originally Posted by quickdraw66 View Post
    Whoever told you that you need to spend even remotely that much for a good 1911 is either a liar, or ignorant about 1911s.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    How much does Uncle Sam spend on hammers and toilet seats though? Consider the source and how the gov spends money like they think it grows on trees.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Mold
    They are trying to fix something that isn't broken. What they need to fix is their brains logic receptors...LOL I've built thirteen 1911s for friends and shooters who want the gun to fire every time. If the trigger actuator is working correctly, the gun should go BOOM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodOlBoy View Post
    The same guy that will tell you 1911s are dead will tell you a 30-30 won't kill deer anymore. At that point your best bet is to just smile, and move on before whatever brain cell killing malfunction he has spreads...

GoodOlBoy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    Uncle Sam spends money like there is no tomorrow. The 1911s they bought were highly specialized, custom guns. Those are not necessary for the average person. A $400 1911 will function just as well without all the bells and whistles. Quit drinking the Glock koolaid, they are not the end all be all of guns, and they are quickly being overshadowed by newer polymer guns. The 1911 wasn't the only gun that's outselling them.

Here we used to have quite relaxed gun law. People were buying all kinds of pistols: 1911, Glock, Walther, CZ, Tanfoglio, H&K, Beretta, Sig Sauer.. you name it.

The law changed and it became difficult and expensive to get a permit to buy a pistol. Now people are buying only high-end 1911 or high-end CZ. That is it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    That statement is as ignorant as saying the 1911 is dead.
    Ignorant? Naw, just poking fun

I just found this thread. My Colt .45 NM is one of my prized possessions, and my most fired gun. I load it with 200 gr. SWCs and 3.5 grs. Bullseye. I just love shooting that gun! In fact, I have a Rx from my physical therapist to shoot it as much as I can, as picking up the brass is good for me, or so he says (on many days I could argue that fact, however ).

Many different people, many different guns. However, for many years my 1911 has been a hoot for me to shoot. I've really tried to wear it out, but all I do is replace the shock buffer now and then and it shoots as good now as it did back when.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had both, a 1991-a1 in .45cal. and a Glock 21 in .45 cal. I gave my colt to a friend that was in dire need to protect and feed his family. I still cry at night sometimes. BUT my Glock does yoman service on my belt. Just have to say it is a VERY accurate pistol!! Just have to budget for a new 1911, though. Oh well. God Bless to all and theirs.

Goofy aka Godfrey
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I have always been an admirer of the other U.S. Military handgun that served alongside the 1911 in every conflict: the S&W Military & Police .38 Special revolver. I have a 1967 10-5 that is a sweet shooter and a 10-10 on layaway. I'm also planning to find a 3" barrel/round butt model 10 or 64 to add to my carry rotation alongside my plastic bottom feeders. I have a Ruger Service Six and Taurus 82 as well. My .38's all wear standard wood grips, eat 158 grain lead flat points at 850 fps, and are carried in a leather holster and belt with cartridge loops. Some things are just perfect the way they are, six shot .38 Special wheelguns are one of them.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Fergie, I have to agree with you on the S&W38's. I have a 64-1 that I won't get rid of and have never felt "underguned". It is Soooo accurate that it is unbelievable. It and 3 speed loaders and who wants to worry? I have fired over 8000 rds. with it and it just keeps on spittin' them out. God Bless to all and theirs.

Goofy aka Godfrey
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Never have figgered out whether the 1911 is any better than the 1909.
    But hey, they needed to spend the money and came up with a cracker jack pistol.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Never have figgered out whether the 1911 is any better than the 1909.
    But hey, they needed to spend the money and came up with a cracker jack pistol.
    The 1909 had a near vertical grip (85 degrees), and lacked a thumb safety. I'd say that the 1911 is definitely an improvement as far as ergonomics and safety goes. There's not too many people carrying single action semi autos cocked and unlocked.

Boolit Grand Master

Nope, not dead by a long shot. You sure know how to start a whizzing contest, DougGuy!
    I have one that's retired after over twenty years of duty carry and a fair bit of match use as well. She's a custom series 70 built in the tradition of 70's IPSC guns. For a retirement gift I installed new springs and pretty wood grips but it's ready to go whenever I'm feeling nostalgic. I replaced it with....drum roll please......another 1911! It's a little Defender and is a bit more comfortable and easier to hide than my old warhorse.
    Nothing against the polymer guns, had a few. Carried a Glock 27 for an off-duty gun for years. Carried a Sig 229 when I was doing the bike cop thing because I didn't want to scuff up my pretty 1911 in a spill. Damn fine guns, both of them. But they're both gone now and I don't miss them a bit.
    I wonder if fans of the new-fangled 1911 had similar discussions with 1873 fans a hundred or so years ago. I realize that was long before Al Gore invented the internet but I can only imagine the discussions.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

I would bet that almost every gun owner with more than 5 guns has at least one 1911.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Banned
    Here's a poll for Wilco; "How many pages will a thread achieve if 1911 is in the title"?

I got my daily carry a Colt O.M. 25+ years ago. Friends said I should have got on of those Wondernines. the 1911 was old fashioned , I told them I moved up 100 years from the Colt 45 SAA I was carrying .
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Bub
    Everyone I know who has a striker fired gun is amazed how good the trigger is on a run of the mill 1911. Everyone who has shot one of mine has found one of their own. I keep a glock 23 in my truck. Won't leave one of my 1911's unattended.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast