WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: keeping mold hot ?

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory

keeping mold hot ?

Am trying to make good boolits with a Lee single cavity mold. Have tried all the things mentioned here except the use of a hot plate.
    Today the wind was about 30 mph across the pot/mold, wrinkled noses on boolits. Pot is on highest setting temp wise. Other than using a hot plate, do I need to try my casting on days that the wind is not blowing as much? Move everything inside?
    Am open to any and all suggestions.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Moderator Emeritus
    Make a wind shield?

Move inside?

Turn the pot up?

Cast faster?

Dip the mould in the melt before pouring each boolit?

Combinations of these and other suggestions, find one that keeps the mould warmer between pours, seems to me I'd want to be inside where the ambient temp was higher.

What's your alloy temp in the pot? If you drop some lube in does it ignite after a few seconds?

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

I have to cast out doors. (better half orders) I found a place that the house blocks the wind on one side of me and a line of pines block me on the other. but yesterday did not matter. come from the directions that is not covered.

if you can move it indoors.

Boolit Bub
    I do it in the garage and keep the doors open a little

Boolit Buddy

I also cast in the garage with the door open about two feet. I also put a fan behind me to blow across the lead pot and out the door.
    Bullshot
    Bob
    You make your own reputation. No one makes it for you.
    NRA Benefactor

Banned

I have a garage window behind my bench and strap a cheap fan over it to blow the flux smoke out. I don't worry about the lead itself.
    You will never make good boolits with wind blowing on the mold. The temp changes too fast between boolits. Why not build a 3 sided box around your casting spot? Something you can move around, fold up and put away. Just need to anchor it against the wind when in use.

Moderator Emeritus

+1 on the garage and fan setup. Even in the garage, I use a hotplate to pre-heat my molds.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

You might also try cleaning the mold. If it has any oil or other contaminant in it, it will wrinkle up your boolits.

I added a hot plate to my setup a few months ago. I couldn't find a used one, so I got a new GE at WallyWorld for $18. I use it to preheat ingots and my mold. It alloys me to replenish the pot as I am casting. I drop 1 or 2 lb. ingots in as the lead level drops in the pot.

On high, it's hot enough to melt lead. I keep it just under the melting point. It insures that the ingots are completely dry when I add them to pot.
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms." (Federalist Paper #46) - James Madison

Heard on the street about our current POTUS: he is inebriated by the eloquence of his own verbosity...

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, here's a stupid question . . .how do you know when it's "done" when using a hotplate? With the Lee molds they have you dip corner for a few seconds . .can you "overheat" a mold on a hotplate? (I'm guessing yes)

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Never had that problem with a single cavity; with the 6 cavity yes. Even pre-heating on a hotplate often doesn't do it and need to use the propane torch. If you are sure it is a temperature problem I'd say that your set up, not the equipment is to blame- too much heat lost to wind. A wind break should do the job I'd think.

Boolit Master
    Edmond, Oklahoma - that's N. of the Red River
    Quote Originally Posted by dmftoy1 View Post
    Ok, here's a stupid question . . .how do you know when it's "done" when using a hotplate? With the Lee molds they have you dip corner for a few seconds . .can you "overheat" a mold on a hotplate? (I'm guessing yes)
    Yes you can but what does it matter? You just wait for the mold and lead in the cavities to cool. Beats the heck out of casting too cold. Besides, you can adjust the heat on a hot-plate.

Dave

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bullshot View Post
    I also put a fan behind me to blow across the lead pot and out the door.
    The fastest and the easiest method of oxidizing your alloy is to blow air accross the top of the pot. Oxygen in contact with the melt is what oxidizes the alloy, the more air in contact with the melt the faster the oxidation.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member