Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: What to do with lead shot?

Super Moderator

What to do with lead shot?

Today an acquaintance brought me a 5 gallon bucket nearly half full of really small lead shot. This is one source of lead that I have absolutely no experience with. Can anyone give me some advise on what I can do with it? I assume it's very hard all by itself. I was thinking of alloying with pure or maybe with some range scrap. I have a bunch of pure I can mix it with, range scrap, tin, and a whole bunch of other alloys like 1/3/96, 1/20, 1/30 etc. Any advise? I shoot cast in all manners of rifles & pistols, so any advise is welcomed. Thanks in advance!...Shooter.

You can probably assume it's chilled shot and not magnum shot if it's real small diameter. Chilled shot should have about 2% antimony and 98% lead for a total BHN just over 10. Just add enough tin to get it to cast good and use it for pistols/revolver boolits. The graphite powder used on it might be a bugger to flux out, there a lot of it.

Boolit Mold
    I just melted down about 50# that was graphite coated. Nasty fluxing but came out very clean and after 2 weeks had a BNH of 12. I then cast about 1600 125 gr. .358 LRNFPs that turned out very nice when I ran the mold hotter than I usually do. Had to find the sweet sopt. I tumble lubed some and powder coated others but have yet to send any down range. I load these in both a 38 Special and 9mm luger loads.

Drag a magnet over it........ I bought several pounds of re-claimed shot and it had about 10% by volume of steel in it. I use it as is for 12 & 20 ga slugs and .379-250 for 38-55's with good results for others I will add a little linotype until I get good fills. Maybe 5 to 10% by weight.

The magnet is a good idea. However, you don't have to get every single bit of steel shot out of the bucket. If there are a couple still in there, they will float to the top of the melt and can be scooped out with the graphite. Flux well, there may be a lot of lead oxide and it will be turned back to pure lead if you can reduce it.

Boolit Master

if you were to venture north I'd trade you ww bars for shot. around here shot is hard to find and I got a blackpowder shotgun thats fun to shoot and needs some feed.

Boolit Master
    Bring it over here! I love azgfd :