Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mulberry trees

Moderator Emeritus

I have hackberries, and used hackberry covered truck in fall/sometimes spring(leftover berries from the previous fall)...
    Last edited by MaryB; 06-04-2015 at 12:33 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

The wood is facinating, too. Bright yellow when you cut it, it drys into a dark brown red. Actually rather nice to work, but not particularly hard. If you can grow mulberries you can grow American Persimmons, too. That's my favorite. Got some seeds sprouting in a pot now, want to try to bonsi them.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Mulberrys are a seriously underrated fruit. The dark purple ones are sweet/tart and make great jam. The trees themselves will grow in good/poor/rocky/sandy whatever soil and root easily.
    They are hardy too. I have one that I have cut back to the stump a half dozen times on my fence line, and just when I think i have killed it, it comes back with a vengeance. I am pretty sure they are immortal.
    The native ones to the US are the red/purple ones. The white ones are asian. The only real difference between them is the color of the fruit. Fun fact, silk worms are fed with mulberry leaves.
    Another funny thing, fish love the berries.

Fruit trees in general are a lot of fun to raise. I have two cherries, two plums and two peaches. They are a little more work to manage, but very rewarding.
    Check your zone, but most fruit trees should thrive in your area.

Boolit Man
    I've got 3 or 4 mulberry trees out back, lived here for 15 year and never paid any attention to them nor even knew what they were. When we got chickens i noticed they loved the berries and tried one myself..wow, awesome.

Now every year myself, the chickens and the squirrels all gather round to get some and the trees are some of my favorites out back..may well take the advice given in this thread and plant some of the rooted limbs so as to have more.

Most cuttings do best when taken dormant. I do hybrid poplar and elderberry. Have tried mulberry cuttings from e-bay, but they were not true dormant cuttings and never rooted. If the buds have started to grow, its probably too late to take cuttings.

When dormant, cut canes and trim to length so they are @ least 2 buds per cutting. Trim bottom 1/4" below bottom bud. Dip bottom 1-2" into rooting compound, tap off excess, plant with 1 bud above ground near surface. The top bud will sprout, and if the bottom bud and wound roots, the top bud will grow into a cane and become the trunk over time.

I make wine and would love to do mulberry, but haven't located any locally. There are elderberry's everywhere around me. Thay make a good wine, and jelly if you add sugar and acid. But taste bad as picked the way they grow here.

Banned

"Mulberrys are a seriously underrated fruit."

For sure. "Seriously" good taste.

Boolit Master
    One particular tree back in the fence line has leaves bigger than dinner plates on the shady side, and produces abundant fruit that brings in the turkeys.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

I've got a red mulberry. I grew up with a purple one at my grandparents, and I just can't get the hang of when the red ones ripen and the birds typically wipe them out before I can get to them. I need to get some purple starts sometime. LOVE them!

Banned

I just walked down and picked a bowl of the ripe ones off the tree I mentioned, actually, it's two trees grown in a clump with some other stuff. Interestingly, the side that faces mostly east has a lot of ripe ones while the branches facing away seem to have ones that are just beginning to form.

Boolit Buddy
    I remember eating mulberries off the tree when I was a kid. I was pretty young, and I don't even remember where that tree was. We lived on a farm for a couple of years when I was 5/6, but I don't think that was it. I DO remember that they were tasty. My grandparents on my mother's side grew all kinds of fruits and vegetables, but I never remember seeing mulberries on their property. From their place we grew up eating choke cherries, various types of apples, pears, rhubarb, corn, peas, strawberries, grapes, and many more. Gardening and growing fruit trees was my grandfather's hobby, and it kept him very active just about every day, well into his 90s. He was taken last August by cancer that started in his mouth (never used any tobacco in his life), but had it not been for that, I'm sure he would have lived to be over 100, mainly due to his active lifestyle.

Banned

I think I'm gonna make a pie this weekend.

Boolit Grand Master

I have mulberry trees in my back yard, wild, great to eat and grow well here
    in east KS. Come and get some berries if you want some wild local stock.
    Come to think of it, they should be ripening about now, have not noticed
    them yet, but it has been cool and raining so darned much!
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    They are ripening now, I found that out when I had to splice a broken electric fence wire that broke right in the middle of a clump of mulberry sprouts.

I believe they are very closely related to the common hedge/ Osage Orange tree. The leaves look very similar, as does the wood. I remember my dad telling me that a mulberry corner post is supposed to last for seventy years, compared to a hedge post lasting one hundred years (who figures this stuff out anyway?).

Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cainttype View Post
    Using root harmone with cuttings of new growth, like Beagle333 suggests, is the way I do it. Placed in containers of potting mix, the success rate is almost 100% as long as they're watered regularly.
    Transplanting is generally care free after a decent growth of new roots have emerged.
    This is the way to go; rooting hormone has given me great success on many trees, fruting and non.

Moderator Emeritus

Going to have to try this next spring. Plant a few out back in my weed patch I can't mow.

Banned

Wife and I picked a couple of quarts a few days ago. Night before last we had a blow down that dropped half a maple tree in my yard and tore the power lines down, which wouldn't have been so bad, but the house I old, box didn't meet code and required an electrician to do a meter loop rebuild before they'd reconnect. Similar thing happened to our parsonage, so I have been spending quality time with a chainsaw the past two days instead of doing fun stuff like cooking mulberry pie.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Wife and I picked a couple of quarts a few days ago. Night before last we had a blow down that dropped half a maple tree in my yard and tore the power lines down, which wouldn't have been so bad, but the house I old, box didn't meet code and required an electrician to do a meter loop rebuild before they'd reconnect. Similar thing happened to our parsonage, so I have been spending quality time with a chainsaw the past two days instead of doing fun stuff like cooking mulberry pie.
    Save that maple wood to grill steaks with!!!

Banned

Yeah, that's the good thing, I got a bunch of firewood out of it and the electrician who did the meter loop rebuild gave me the lead boot from around it, so I got maybe two or three pounds of pure lead I can use.

For those that would like for what is talk about to use like the OP ask about here is a link
    Make Your Own Rooting Hormone From Willow Twigs

http://mrbrownthumb.blogspot.com/2013/04/make-your-own-rooting-hormone-from.html
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA