Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Both PC and lube?

Both PC and lube?

I figure it must be as close to heresy one can get in this sub group, but has anyone done tests comparing bullets that are both lubed and coated with ones that are just either?

PC is all the best thing since sliced bread, sure, but some people report loss of accuracy in especially rifle rounds when using PC, but also report higher velocity without leading.

So... Would both PC and lube yield both accuracy and velocity?
    Shoot from a rest at 25/50/100 yards, then post your groupings. That is the only way to compare accuracy results.

Boolit Master
    I have heard it mentioned before, so I'm sure it has been done but it's not well reported. If you decide to go ahead and try, let us know what happens.

Some people have been concerned that the lube would dissolve the powder coat, but I just don't think it will.

Paintbrush cleaner from the hardware store does a decent job of dissolving it though.

Larry G did a test, 223 IIRC, PC & lube, got higher fps. I think the accuracy was the same.
    Whatever!

I've been doing a little testing hand lubing the small groove just above the check on some 55gr Bators, 22-250 and 223 to early to make any wild claims but I can say it does no harm. GP

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    The question we have always posed is: Does grease lube back in the case soften the PC over time? If it does, you are defeating the purpose of the PC, other than perrrrrdy boolits!

I use no lube and have not taken the time to test long-term and have no real interest in the results.

Mabe someone on here will load up some, let them sit 6 months and then pull the boolits to see what is left of the PC? Problem is, there are as many formulas for grease lube as there are days in the year!

That would be my main concern. If you load and shoot within a couple days or a week or two, you probably have no problmes. If you think you getting better accuracy, go for it!

Any feedback is welcome, as usual.

bangerjim

I have not done a lot of Chrono work using PC or Hi-Tek coatings but what little I have done indicates no difference in velocity, SD or Extreme spreads using any of the three methods for lubrication using 9MM and 38spl loads. I am not saying I won't just the basic loads I use for competition have resulted in essentially identical results.

I do have a growing collection of bullets that have not been coated correctly or have minor coating flaws that I intend to lube and just shoot. I will run some over a Chrono in the coming weeks and report back the results.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

I lube some PC'd boolits, mostly for the .338s (WM and FED). I use a mixture of 45-45-10 and graphite powder, I only lube the shank, let dry, and wipe of any lube outside the case neck after boolit seating. On the 305gr bore rider I also dip the nose in straight 45-45-10 hang upside down and let dry.

The PC I use is Teflon based and is harder than woodpecker lips. I haven't done any testing other than shooting in front of a chrony and couldn't tell ya if it helped or not but it seems to. It sure doesn't hurt anything and does seem to provide a better SD. I can also tell a difference chambering the 305s as the nose is engraved on loading and the boolit slides easily into the rifling.

The mineral spirits in the 45-45-10 "gas off" during drying leaving the Alox and Graphite on the boolit. I have left boolits so treated set for 6 months after which I wiped it off, there was no degradation of the Teflon PC. This particular PC was designed to protect equipment in harsh chemical and mechanical environments.

I'll be the first to tell ya that this lubing process is more than likely of no significant benefit but I enjoy doing it. I can say that the 305s so treated shoot right at 1 moa all day long in my .338 Fed if I do my part.