Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Balloon head 45 LC?

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I have about 200 of these old cases and load them with no ill effects with KIK, Swiss and Olde Eynsford.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    be careful as most shooters know OLD BALOON HEAD CASES will separate just ahead of the rim at any given time without a warning!! not good by any means!!. through them in the scrap brass bin, that is what I do. they haven't ben made since the 40,s I be leave. that is like when kerosene lighting went out and electricity came in staying with kero.
    How old are you Toot? Some of us were handloading "balloon" head cases for many years without knowing what you say most shooters know. Are Balloon Head cases as strong as the newer solid head case? No. Will they fail at a greater rate? No, not as long as you stick to factory pressure loads.

Elmer Keith developed his hot 44 Special loads in such balloon head cases, without any issues. He did say with the new solid head cases his load should be reduced from 18.5 grains of 2400 to 17.5 due to the decreased powder capacity.

I still used such balloon head cases from time to time in 45 Colt, 44 Special and 45 Auto Rim without any concern for case failure. Your kerosene vs. electricity analogy is not anywhere near being accurate.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Black Powder 100%

A huge PLUS 1 on that posting Char-Gar. I also thought that the younger generation was the ones who were computer literate, my laptop with W7 has spell check on it. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    I couldn't fit 40 g. into new cases, if i compressed it enough it would swell the cases to where they wouldn't chamber, you don't have to worry about shell holders and old balloon head cases with the Co-ax.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    37 grs of goex 3f in modern WW cases topped with the Remington 250 gr bulk lead bullet will get you 875fps from a 5 1/2 in. barrel and about 925 from a 7 1/2. Spot on the factory blackpowder loads.
    Greetings
    Don McDowell has it right in my shooting book. I use 3F in many old BP calibers to get the proper FPS using solid head cases. It is reasonably easier to get enough 3F in a solid head case to duplicate the old velocities. A big plus is the reduction of fouling. Far easier to load and shoot more before having to wipe out the barrel or free the cylinder.
    Yes I still shoot some good condition balloon head brass but with very mild loads to include mild BP loads. Those old BH cases do come apart but far less dramaticly with low pressure loads.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Black Powder 100%

As I posted earlier, I have about 200 of the older cases and I shoot them all the time. I should have entered another sentence to my posting. I keep my 44 wcf loads with those cases at a lower loading than my new Starline cases.
    I came across 100 of them that appeared to be new and I was not going to let them sit in a box. I've yet to have a case separation or any other failures.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12