Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: 1st e-Book - Krag Rifle

1st e-Book - Krag Rifle

Moderators - please move or delete if this violates a rule (I checked and could find no rule prohibiting this).

I published my first e-book: Development of the Krag Jorgensen Rifle for the US Military. Check it out and please leave constructive feedback. I can update the e-book as often as I want and those who have purchased it can download the updated versions free. My plan is to publish a print version after I get more feedback and find/fix errors.

http://www.amazon.com/Development-Kr...s=krag+dorsett

Boolit Master

Just had my 1898 Krag infantry rifle at the range a few days ago and as usual, it clangs the gongs with lead most regularly.

I just downloaded the PC app from Amazon so that my lap top can read Kindle books. The download of the book went well so I'll start reading it later tonight.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 06-02-2015 at 01:24 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Many thanks. If you have comments/criticism, please forward to me by PM and I will try to incorporate into revisions. I'm up to version 8 now uploaded. Every time I look at it, I find another typo or grammatical error. Sheesh... it is amazing what you miss proofreading you're own writing. I am still waiting for review comments to come in from a couple of other reviewers (mentioned in the Acknowledgements section). Those will eventually make it into the print book. Unfortunately, the Kindle e-format shows pictures and tables very tiny. You can zoom in on them, but it is a pain. They should look better in print.

I just down loaded it, after getting the app, at Scharf said was available. The whole thing only took about 10 min. (I already had a Amazon acct).

I read the first chapter about your family history and saw the picture of your rifle. I just wanted to say that mine doesn't come from my family but, is very much like yours with the same sight and same type of stock mods (no checkering tho) but, mine has a 26" barrel.

Frank
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Krag lf.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	141148

Boolit Master

It looks very interesting. I look forward to the hard copy.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Don't you love those target sights?

Somebody did a very nice job on your stock fore-end.

Boolit Master

Great review of military rifles leading up to the Krag in 1892 in the first chapters. Very articulate and readable. I'll read a couple more chapters tonight.

Loved the photo of your family rifle.

Here's my 1898 Krag.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

I only read the preview, interesting so far. I wonder if that's a 30" barrel cut to 26", or maybe an original 26" Board of Ordnance and Fortification rifle that Frank has there?
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Generous Donator
    Great book. I gave it five stars....

Thank you!

Name:	PB240041.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	141263
    Quote Originally Posted by 4570guy View Post
    Don't you love those target sights?

Somebody did a very nice job on your stock fore-end.
    Thank you.
    I was lucky, I bought mine at a auction, about 10 years ago. It's a 1898 and made in '98 by it's serial number. It had a Redding 102 sight on it when I got it but, I hated adjusting the windgage on it. It shoots different POI for 150 Jac and the 311413 bullet that I used so, I got the click adjustable 70 for it.

Name:	PB240042.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	141262

Boolit Master

I've read a couple of books on the Krag over the years and they have all focused on the technical details specific to the rifle, sights and accouterments. While that is all of interest to me, I'm now enjoying your coverage of the various army test boards and all the various rifles submitted for testing as well as the background of the development of the 30 US (30/40 Krag) cartridge, smokeless powder and projectiles.

By the way, I had a nice day at the range today developing some lighter than normal loads for my 1898 infantry rifle. 130 grain cast plain base boolit over Bullseye powder. The load shoots very well out to 200 yards on gongs at 1,130 fps over the chronograph and groups into a 1 1/8 inch group at 50 yards on paper.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 06-04-2015 at 01:42 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Downloaded a copy myself just now. Looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the note on it.

Boolit Master

I enjoyed reading the chapter on all the different rear sights used on the Krag series of rifles last night. My particular rifle, circa 1903, has the 1902 sight on it and it has proven to be reliable and repeatable in use.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Mine has the 1901 sight which is very similar functionally to the 1905 sight that is on the Model 1903 Springfield. I didn't use it a whole lot before I added the Redfield target peep sight which I like very much.

Boolit Master

I just finished the book last night and I enjoyed it immensely. I recommend it highly to anyone owning a Krag or having an interest in the Krag rifle or carbine. It's also a good primer on military rifle development in the late 1800s and covers the salient features of many of the Krag's peers during that time frame. It's not a book for an advanced collector trying to determine some point of minutia, but a good readable book that uses a broad brush to paint the big picture of America's first smokeless powder rifle.

For the price, it's an absolute bargain.

4570guy,

I've sent you a PM with two suggestions for the text.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Thank you sir!

I have been incorporating comments/advice I receive from various forum members. Many thanks for your reviews and thoughts. The online version of the book is now at v9. I intend to eventually publish a hardcopy version which should make the figures and tables easier to read after I've found all those missing commas!