MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Precision Pistol, AKA Bullseye.

Boolit Bub

Precision Pistol, AKA Bullseye.

Anybody activley shooting Precision pistol?
    If yes do you consider your self a "competitor" or
    a "participent"?

Gus

Boolit Buddy
    50 yards one hand with a 45. Much to hard for most.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Boolit Master
    I like the game. I feel it improves ones shooting skills overall.
    As to being a participant or a competitor, most days I feel like a spectator lol.
    I do like shooting my 625 with a red dot though.

I consider myself an active competitor, pistol Distinguished in 2010. Unfortunately, for me like many others, life tends to get in the way of competing and practicing. Last year I focused on rifle shooting to try and get my rifle Distinguished badge. This year I am trying to spread my efforts between the two. I know that is not a recipe for success, but I don't want my pistol skills to languish while I try and improve my rifle skills. Because of my work schedule, I'm hoping that I can shoot two or three local competitions and hopefully attend the rifle Nationals.

Although I've technically earned enough points to be rifle distinguished, the Marines have a few extra caveats on how you earn your points. You can't earn all your points at regional matches. You have to have at least 10 points earned at "Marine Corps" matches. Regional matches are limited to ten points. I need my last ten points to come from either a Marine Corps match, Inter-service, or Nationals.

Boolit Master
    I like to play the game. Not very good and I have never shot in a match. I have a range set up here at the house to shoot the 50 yard slow fire and time and rapid at 25 yards.I shoot against myself always trying to better my score.Every one that comes to my range thinks it is silly to shoot a hand gun at 50 yards one hand when everyone knows that they are supposed to be shot at 7 yards 2 hand and very fast. So I shoot by myself.
    It is a fun game and I wish I had got into it 25 years ago when I had a more solid hold............Terry

Moderator Emeritus

Back in the 90s, while I was in a pistol League, we would have two events of 25 yard Bullseye. I would barely call myself a participant in that game...then about 1999, our league switched over to IPSC, that was fun for a while, til most members got all twisted up in an equipment war...my ruger P89 was just too ugly to compete with those 1911 racegun boys.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I started handgun shooting back in the very early 60's when Bullseye was the only game in town. I shot the course one handed of course,at 25 and 50 yards, slow and timed fire with three pistols (22, Center Fire and Service Pistol). There is nothing like this game to teach the fine points of grip, trigger control, breath control and sight picture. If a person learns to shoot well this way, all the rest is child's play.

I am amazed at the number of people shooting handguns today, that really have no idea of how to do so.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 03-07-2016 at 02:24 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy

A close friend that was in the 101st A.B., said that they shot a full course every day. This is way beyond the means of most people unless you are in the service or sponsored.

Boolit Buddy
    As my forum name suggests, I shoot the one handed game. We have a small, 12 member, league of dedicated shooters. We shoot twice a week. One round of NRA CenterFire and a round of ISSF RimFire. Last year I sent ~25,000 rounds down range.

Every now and then we get a couple of 3 gun guys stop in and shoot with us. Some come back, most don't finish the round. They just pack up and disappear.

Bullseye is the "skill" set, once sights, breath and trigger control are mastered, that make all other forms of shooting easier or so I have been told

I am amazed at the number of people shooting handguns today, that really have no idea of how to do so. True, but how many can hold an issue 1911 at arms length for any period of time? I tried in the 60's and still can't. Well I can left handed but that's not dominant.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I started handgun shooting back in the very early 60's when Bullseye was the only game in town. I shot the course one handed of course,at 25 and 50 yards, slow and timed fire with three pistols (22, Center Fire and Service Pistol). There is nothing like this game to teach the fine points of grip, trigger control, breath control and sight picture. If a person learns to shoot well this way, all the rest is child's play.

I am amazed at the number of people shooting handguns today, that really have no idea of how to do so.
    So true!!

Boolit Master
    I shoot the winter league here every year. 20 weeks with, at least for me, 30 rounds of 22 and 30 rounds of centerfire. This year we had 26 shooting 22 and 10 of those shot both 22 and centerfire. There is another league on the other side of town but I don't know how many they have. We use the NRA classification system so you can compete against shooters of your own ability. After 40+ years of shooting bullseye, the knees and back don't want me to shoot 90 shot and 270 shot matches any more so I just help at those matches. In a way I guess that I am a "non-shooting participant" at those matches. But there is a lot of work that has to be done behind the scenes to make a match come off so that it is enjoyable to the competitors and shooting participants.

If you haven't tried it sign up for a league. It is fairly inexpensive since you don't have to pay range fees every week, the targets are furnished, and you will meet a bunch of shooters who enjoy the sport. The league I shoot at charges $60 for the entire 20 weeks if you are shooting 22 only ($80 if you are shooting both guns). Part of that goes toward the prizes, pizza, and beer (the range is closed that night) at the end of the league.

Bullseye emphasizes marksmanship. Indoors you will be shooting at either 50 feet or 25 yards. Slow fire is 10 shots in 10 minutes. Timed fire is two strings of 5 shots in 20 seconds per string, and rapid fire is two strings of 5 shots in 10 seconds per string. If you have not done much before the first few targets can be humbling. then as you shoot more your scores will improve. The techniques you learn and practice will help you in all the other types of shooting you do.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Master
    I shoot Bullseye, not religiously, but I have competed in one 2700 where I did OK, and indoor .22 league. We shoot 3 national matches every Monday night during winter. My range time usually includes some Bullseye practice. It's a great way to get good on a pistol.

Boolit Master
    Sure wish there was a indoor winter league close around here. Sounds like a lot of fun.............Terry

Boolit Master

I was once a competitor, But now just a participant. My scores are unbelievable low.

Boolit Master
    Sure wish there was a indoor winter league close around here. Sounds like a lot of fun.............Terry
    There are 8 lanes and they almost always fill up. It's a good way to cure those winter blues. Good bunch of guys, and one girl who does great.
    Last edited by Boolseye; 12-13-2016 at 11:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    Competitive participant here.
    I compete against myself, I try to do better each time and don't care about how the other folks do.
    I used to shoot highpower very competitively until it got to a point of being more work than fun, I just got too blasted serious about it.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Buddy

When I was in the military, everything was available ...ammo, guns, targets.
    I admire all the non funded/supported civilians that have ever shot this sport. Good guns cost money, good .22 ammo costs money, good components for assembling match grade CF and 45 ammo cost money.
    I still like shooting bullseye, but not as passionate because the same regulars(15 league members) shoot at the same matches. I would like to see different competitors show up at the matches, instead of the same 15 regular league members.

Boolit Master
    I belonged to the now long gone Maywood gun club back in 1977 / 78 Started shooting the in house 22 Bullseye course 1979 season.

Late in 78 Colt announced they would make a short run of 6 inch barreled Diamondback 22 revolvers, I made a beeline to the owner of the range we shoot at and got one on order ASAP!

It showed up in late December and I took it upstairs to shoot it, I had originally wanted it because it looked like a Python, and had planned to shoot my Ruger t512 bull barrel 22 for the 22 Bullseye season.

My first 6 rounds at the 50 foot range went into on hole I could cover with a pencil eraser!

I was the only guy at the match with a wheel gun and had to reload mid string with a speed loader.

End of season I won the first place trophy and got a nice trophy and a Charter Arms Target 44 special as a prize.

Still have the trophy, only one I ever got, and both pistols and really had a fun time learning the bullseye game as I moved though the year.

Next couple years I shot IPSC and did fair at that game as well but the big boys had sponsors time and race guns, this was before the rule change separating stock for race gun, after that range time changed as property values in the North LA area went through the roof and a 4 hour drive one way to the only range that would allow IPSC type practice was just to much of a hassle.

Add in a wife and the arrival of children and my time just wasn't there to compete any more.

Got into a little trap shooting, range a lot closer and I was able to at least shoot something but never bothered to compete in shotgun no time.

these days that may change but at 65 not sure I'd be competitive at anything but still glad I had the time to learn Bullseye back in the 70's more shooters could learn from this type of experience!

HM

Boolit Grand Master

Got the rifle distinguished first and planned on going double with the handgun but like lots of others life got in the way and now I am just a participant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast