Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Bars of "CERROTRU ALLOY" 281F"

Boolit Mold

Bars of "CERROTRU ALLOY" 281F"

Yesterday I was given 12 bars, each about 2lbs of this alloy. Makeup is 58% Bismuth and 42% Tin. Is this of any value to shooters? I do not think it is suitable for use in bullet casting.

Bismuth is sometimes found in pewter and people use pewter all the time for its high tin content. So if adding pewter to a pot involves a small amount of Bismuth then you can probably use those bars in small quantities at a time and just dilute it with other sources that have high tin %. Bismuth is 0.35-lbs per cubic inch, which is only 15% lighter then lead, but it has a tendency to want to crystalize into jagged formations (watch videos of Bismuth solidifying). My guess would be adding small amounts to a lead pot wont be a problem, which would mean you could make use of that Tin, but thats just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by BobW. View Post
    Yesterday I was given 12 bars, each about 2lbs of this alloy. Makeup is 58% Bismuth and 42% Tin. Is this of any value to shooters? I do not think it is suitable for use in bullet casting.
    That would be valuble for making chamber casts.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like it is at least close to Cerrosafe as Yodog stated good for chamber casts.

Well, cerrosafe is worth $40 per pound in one pound blocks from Brownells and Midway. I'd say it should be worth a LOT more than lead or tin. Melts at 281 f vs cerrosafe at 158f, with only .005 max growth. I'd post a for sale to see if you can sell.

Boolit Grand Master

http://www.csalloys.com/products-cerrotu-alloy.html

Retail is about $22 a pound. I'd probably eBay it.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Orange county and a cabin in the mountains
    I found it at bolto metal products for $13. I have a bar of it that I plan on experimenting with. Would be very interested in your experience. I have another thread started with the title of the nomenclature of the produt. Hope to hear from you.

Boolit Grand Master

It expands so not the best choice for chamber casts. It's better as a lap material or as a part holding fixiture. I have a use for both. I may be interested in a trade or to purchase.

http://hitechalloys.com/hitechalloys_002.htm

HiTech Alloy Products

CERROTRU alloy is used for holding jet turbine engine blades for machining, anchoring shafts in permanent magnet rotors, locator members in aircraft assembly fixtures. It is ideal for making nests for parts in jigs and dial feed stations; cores for duplicate foundry and tracer model in profiling. It is great for molds for plaster, plastic, and encapsulating; forming sheet plastics, plastic teeth, prosthetic development and potting electronic components. It is a nice low temperature solder and used for laps in rifle barrels. It also can be used for inlays in wooden handles. Cerrotru is a eutectic alloy with a melting temperature of 281º F. It has a net expansion of .0005" per inch. CERROTRU DOES NOT CONTAIN LEAD OR CADMIUM.