RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I believe we've.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I was told to wet wrap with lee sizing die wax cut with 2-3 parts water to help seal patches and water proof. The lee sizing die wax is water souluable. I have tried it a couple times with decent results but it makes wrapping a little weird feeling.
    Why all the concern with waterproofing? i have to admit that I used to worry about that too, but I was an idiot. You don't need it if you have properly loaded ammo. I've hunted all over the world without it.

If you insist, you can try a spray on fixative (Blair #`105, NOT Krylon) from an art supply store but it is counter productive.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kokomokid View Post
    Brent, Are you using one dry patch behind the bore pigs for silhouette and is it on a brush or jag?
    Dave, Shot a few pp yesterday but they were tight to chamber. Got to get a chamber assist tool (Rhoades) or custom size die , maybe both.
    Yes I am. And I experience a new demonic intrusion event that I had never even dreamed of before, much less experienced in 2 decades of PPB work.

I use a bore pig that looks a lot like the Texas Bore Pig (google is your friend). But mine have two neoprene washers on the back of it to squeegee the water out of the bore. These are very important to for the pig to work right. I made these about 2-3 yrs ago.

Well in that time, the neoprene as started to degrade and crumble. Small pieces were fraying from the edges and in a few cases, there were slivers sort of like a finger nail clipping that were "unhinging" from the washers' perimeters. One or more of these came off in the bore and got under the patch I was puching (on a jag) so that it was left in the bore when I pulled the wiping rod out. The next bullet smeared this to the bottom of the bore like a thin layer of sticky grease. And boy was it sticky. Accuracy went from superb to totally absent in just a few shots. I killed ten pigs with a tiny group on their shoulders and then got two turkeys and suddenly I couldn't hit within 2 feet of the birds. It took a long time to figure out what has happening and I only got 3 turkeys total (the third as just random chance).

Once I got that stuff out of there, I got back on target and picked up 8 rams but it sure was a mess for a while.

Moral of the story - check those bore critters and replace parts regularly.

Brent

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dave roelle View Post
    Hi Brent----------JPW helps for sure and i have used it with some success---this batch has a thin film of bullet lube rubbing in when i wrap the patch (dry)-----might be a bit too sticky and pick up trash, i'll know how it works this weekend, gonna be hot and humid down this way.

Dave, i was thinking of the wax more for just sliding down the bore with the least friction possible. I think the stuff would dry quickly if put on thinly. When dry i don't see how it would pick up any dirt more than regular paper. Anyway, just something I want to try someday

If you are having trouble getting patched bullets in the cases then there is an other problem, or at least an easier/better solution. Just bell the cases slightly. If you run a neck expander in 1/8" or so, the bullets should slide into the case easily. You can taper crimp or run them into a full length sizing die wi/o the depriming pin. Just use the die backed off a few turns so only the neck is sized and it is effectively a taper crimp, almost perfect for paper patched bullets of bore diameter in my experience.

Time to load a few more.

Brent

Hi Brent-------------thanks for the reply-----------i have tools built, both expander and sizing die, to get the case fit thats working for me. Sizing of the case is exactly as you describe

The only difficulty i have had is in the really hot humid conditions that we have here in the summer----i believe its a combination of the very close fit of the patched bullet to the bore and the Strathmore tracing paper that i use sucking the moisture out of the atmosphere, perhaps a different paper is the real solution.

I'll see how the slicker lubed patch does this weekend, one things for sure, water rolls right off now -----

I am using a 375 H&H sizing die without the decapping pin, to taper crimp the case--- the body section of the sizing die has a very shallow taper, very easy to control the crimp.

i need to cast a few money bullets, just melted down all my GG bullets

Keep well and stay safe

Dave

Boolit Master
    Dave, I have pulled more than one hard to seat bullet back out and no damage to the paper. A .450- gage pin (.4497) will barely start in the chamber, very tight. Eaton 25% 9# paper is hardest to seat while my Alvin 8# is hard also but they both shoot into a group meeting my expectations at this point.
    Brent, I use a pistol brush to push arsenal patches for my GG bullets. I now see where a bare brush with 3m and washer will need to be a rifle brush. Thanks

Gotcha Kid----------time for a sizing die i think-----i made mine, but it should be an easy task to lap out a lee sizing die----that way you get the fit you want every time !!!! ---mine sizes just the paper and the lube slicks things up nicely------the naked bullet shows no distortion from the sizing operation.

Keep on keepin on there sir

Dave

Boolit Master
    How about $60 for the 80, including shipping (they will all fit in a $6 USPS flat rate box).

In 3 weeks I'll be driving to New Mexico. I have a number of different routes that I take but if you are east of Denver, it might be easy to pick up. Brush south to Limon and then Trinidad is as far west I would get. Various places east of that line might be doable too, depending on if I can hook it to a route to Raton efficiently.

Brent

Boolit Master
    Dave, I was doing some reloading of other stuff and came across what may be the solution to your problem with humidity messing up your paper.

Cooking parchment paper is usually right about the ideal thickness. It is very tough, and impregnated with something that prevents cookies from sticking to it. Whatever it is (silicone?) it sure is slick stuff and it works quite well in a cartridge gun. What it does not do is absorb water. So wet wrapping is futile and dry wrapping is not much easier (pre curl the paper for best results). But it works darn well and it will make your ammo more waterproof that anything you can imagine.

OUTSTANDING Thanks Brent-------------Becky had a roll in the pantry---------------test reports as soon as i get a chance-----------ranch work this weekend then a trip to the bay for some redfish and trout -----then test time!!

Travel safe

Dave

Hi Brent:

I had some time at the ranch this weekend to test the parchment paper--------------not too shabby actually-----------i only had 10 rounds for a quick test ---it was hot 90+ and humid everything fit fine no roll-ups with either the "lubed" patched bullets or the parchment patched ones, so some success.

all the rounds shot to the same group of about 2 minutes at 300 yards---the parchment didn't cut as well as the tracing paper but it didn't seem to be a problem.

More testing later this month i hope-----things are looking pretty good !!!!!

Thanks again for the help

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpsman View Post
    talked and bull-schitted ourselves out!

Probably not one new subject that hasn't already been discussed and cussed over!!
    I'm surprised that more posts haven't concerned caseless ammo.

Boolit Master
    Indeed, it is the ultimate means of delivering a cast bullet, but not many here seem to practice it.

The world championships of long range caseless cast bullet shooting will be this September at Camp Butner. Any here going?

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    What we need is for folks to actually get out and shoot the things..
    Isnt there an app for that?
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Grand Master

Okay I have to ask what is caseless cast bullet amunition?

Boolit Master
    Muzzleloaders of course. Particularly, of the svelte British persuasion, fast of twist and long of range. The highest form of riflery every achieved.

Boolit Grand Master

Okays thanks for that Its wat I was thinking but also thought it might have been breech seating.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    I'm surprised that more posts haven't concerned caseless ammo.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...-Muzzleloading
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12