RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I believe we've.....

Sharpsman

I believe we've.....

talked and bull-schitted ourselves out!

Probably not one new subject that hasn't already been discussed and cussed over!!

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    What we need is for folks to actually get out and shoot the things..
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Yep, shot a few yesterday but its just too wet to drive to the target. Nice problem to have in Texas but sure we will get over it.

I shot a few patched rounds during the Wyoming State Midrange match, but they were untested prior to the match, and while they did shoot ok, they didn't shoot as well as I had hoped, so went back to the greasers that had been proven in that rifle.
    Eddie Hayes shot a McKinney/Fruend conversion on a Shiloh #1 sporter in 45-90, using Eynsford powder and a .446 diameter KAL bullet, and shot a rather good score. He had not fired the rifle nor the load prior to the start of the match. He keeps on with that rifle at future matches in the same way it all came together for him in Worland, and he's liable to become one of the boys to look out for at the top of the score board.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    What we need is for folks to actually get out and shoot the things..

that's what I did all last weekend at the St. Louis BPCR regional. Don't know why ya'll weren't there. It was the normal grand time it always is.

Just wrapped up 100 Creedmore 444's to break in the new range at the ranch this weekend---doing a little experimenting with waxy waterproofing materials-----the barber towel 90%/90 degree Gulf Coast weather likes to soak into patches, waxing helps tight fitting patched bullets load without rolling up the patch--------testing to commence next saturday

Dave

Boolit Master
    Dave,
    I have not tried this, perhaps you have already, but I think a good paste wax like Johnson's paste wax or maybe even a car polishing paste wax might be applied to paper bullet with some benefits.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    that's what I did all last weekend at the St. Louis BPCR regional. Don't know why ya'll weren't there. It was the normal grand time it always is.
    So, what did you shoot and how did you do?

Boolit Master
    I shot steel rams, turkeys, pigs, and chickens from 200 to 500 meters, i.e., a regulation silhouette match. I did not shoot particularly well but I finished with 5 for 10 on chickens, and that makes me happy every day of the week.

Hi Brent----------JPW helps for sure and i have used it with some success---this batch has a thin film of bullet lube rubbing in when i wrap the patch (dry)-----might be a bit too sticky and pick up trash, i'll know how it works this weekend, gonna be hot and humid down this way.

The lube is a tallow-bees wax--lanolin that i have used on GG bullets.

The trick will be getting uniformity bullet to bullet---- the amount of lube has to matter, just not sure how much it matters.

Test shots here at the house shows good patch cutting ---next is to see what happens at the range at say 300 yards---i'll get some pics.

Waiting for a range report Kid----oughta dry out up that way this week.

Dave

Boolit Master
    Brent, Are you using one dry patch behind the bore pigs for silhouette and is it on a brush or jag?
    Dave, Shot a few pp yesterday but they were tight to chamber. Got to get a chamber assist tool (Rhoades) or custom size die , maybe both.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM load one in the riflegun kid and pull the case and tap the bullet out of the barrel----see what the patch looks like---------thats the same feeling i get when a patch rolls up like a bad gym sock -----whats the diameter over the patch ?

I size to 0.4505

Dave

Boolit Grand Master

I was told to wet wrap with lee sizing die wax cut with 2-3 parts water to help seal patches and water proof. The lee sizing die wax is water souluable. I have tried it a couple times with decent results but it makes wrapping a little weird feeling.

Hi Gent---novel approach------------for a wet patch it should slick things up but being water soluble i'm not sure it would prevent hot humid conditions from puffing up the patch ? i'll see if one of the guy's at the club might have some i could test with.

Thanks for the thought

Dave

Boolit Master
    I didn't realize that Eddie Hays was shooting a paper patched bullet. I though you were the only one. I used my Shiloh .40-65 with the Kidwell Money bullet.

Midrange with paper patched bullets is something I've been thinking about. I think the .45-70 might be overkill for that. A patched .40 cal would probably be just the ticket.

By the way, it was nice to meet you in person rather than on the internet Don

Chris.

Chris yes Eddie shot that KAL bullet with Eynsford powder all thru the match. I don't know of him to of shot grease groove bullets but only a couple of times in the last 7 or 8 years.
    A 40 something or other should be a superp midrange gun.
    Looking forward to seeing you at Byers.
    Safe travels.

Boolit Master
    I'll definitely be shooting PP at Byers. I'm just not sure which one yet. I might shoot the .40-65 again for the midrange match though. It just depends .

Either way I'm sure that someone will be happy to take away my contribution to the money match .

Chris.

Boolit Master
    Don, do you know who was shooting a .38 and what kind it was? When we were in the pits Robert was talking about the holes in his target being from a .38 but I didn't ask him about it. A paper patched .38-50 Remingtom Hepburn might work well for midrange...

Chris.

Bryan was shooting his Ballard in 38-50. But yes a nice 38 with patched bullets would be a good midrange gun.
    For Byers I'll load enough of patched and greasers to shoot the long range, and then see which one is shooting the best out of the Raton gun during the High Plains Challenge, and then take the best of the two on thru the Creedmoor.
    Might shoot the 44-77 for midrange, and I know it'll be patched all the way, and maybe this 44-90 st if I get it settled down like I want it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kokomokid View Post
    Brent, Are you using one dry patch behind the bore pigs for silhouette and is it on a brush or jag?
    Dave, Shot a few pp yesterday but they were tight to chamber. Got to get a chamber assist tool (Rhoades) or custom size die , maybe both.
    Yes I am.

DO NOT get a chambering tool. Seriously, if you have need of that, then your probably using too big of a bullet or paper that is too thick. I sometimes have to push a bullet home with a carved stick but this is the result of poor planning and variation in barrel manufacturing from one rifle tot he next with the same ammo. It is just a gentle shove, not somethiing that requires a camming too.

Get the die before you get the tool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast