MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any using the Honey Badger Trimmer setup?

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Master

First time I have seen it

I use a GCT trimmer. but this one look`s like it would work , thank`s for posting it.

Boolit Grand Master

I have Giraud also. I love it for the inside and outside chamfering. I believe it is the best tool of its type but it is not intended for removing large amounts of brass. The Honey Badger looks to be the cat's meow for cutting 223 down to 20 VarTag, 221 Fireball or 300 Blackout. I had a dillon but the noise made me not want to use it.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-12-2015 at 11:24 PM.

Boolit Buddy

I actually just bought one about a week ago, played with it a bit but have been busy. Seems like a good square cut but that is about as far as I have gotten so far. I currently have .308 and 223 trim dies, 300 blackout coming soon, hopefully. I want to get a good feel for it before i buy an adapter for each die/caliber.

Boolit Grand Master

I needed a router so I purchased the Bosch 1617EVS. I love how quite it is at 8,000 RPM. The Dillon 1200 that I had for a short time ran at 4,800 rpm and it was really loud. I don't have an adapter yet but I think I am going to really like it. The other option is http://store-hdcduy.mybigcommerce.co...-starter-pack/

Boolit Master

Is my Dillon just exceptionally quiet? It makes far less noise than a power drill by itself. The problem is the shop vac. I have to extend the vacuum cleaner hose to get the shop vac out of the loading room.

Wondering if the noise of your Dillon is vibration of other nearby items. . .

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

http://feintools-online.com/fein-dust-extractors.html I bought one of these to use in my workshop because they are extremely quiet ~60db at full power. I have one of the older round ones and I love it. They are expensive, but are great quality and will last you a long time. Now to get a trimmer.
    Last edited by VHoward; 03-28-2016 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Fixed link

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Is my Dillon just exceptionally quiet? It makes far less noise than a power drill by itself. The problem is the shop vac. I have to extend the vacuum cleaner hose to get the shop vac out of the loading room.

Wondering if the noise of your Dillon is vibration of other nearby items. . .

David
    They may have improved them though the years. I purchased mine the first year they came out. It was straight up motor noise. Couldn't deal with the noise but the first ones were covered by the lifetime warranty. They only did that for the first couple of years. If you have them they still honor it. It had a different part number. It was really noisy when you held it in your hand and ran it. Maybe mine was exceptionally noisy.

Has anyone had any experience with the Titan set up?

http://store.titanweapons.com/titan-...ter-kit-reman/

I'm a manufacturing/engineering guy and this system looks simple. My only concern is the two small mounting holes that hold the router to the adapter.
    The only time success comes before work is in the Dictionary-Vince Lombardi

Boolit Bub
    I trim 223 cases by the 5 gl. buckets for a ammo re-manufacture. I use both the FFB and Titan as they are the same item. I run couple at the same time. Putting another one on line now as the parts come in.
    Dillon trimmers are **** and burn out under heavy use.
    The 2 mounting screws with lock washers are no problem and have never came loose after 100's of hours of use on 3 trimmers.

Boolit Grand Master

A friend just purchased a Dillon 1500. These are claimed to be designed to take the load when doing 300 BO. Unlike my old 1200 it is very quiet.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-28-2016 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MK111 View Post
    I trim 223 cases by the 5 gl. buckets for a ammo re-manufacture. I use both the FFB and Titan as they are the same item. I run couple at the same time. Putting another one on line now as the parts come in.
    Dillon trimmers are **** and burn out under heavy use.
    The 2 mounting screws with lock washers are no problem and have never came loose after 100's of hours of use on 3 trimmers.

Hello. Are you still running these non-Dillon trimmers? Are they still working well for you?

Curious myself. I am wanting a trimmer to mount in my 650, and not sure if I will be served ok with the Dillon, or if I should get a Honey Badger setup. Right NOW, I only have 10K 223 brass that needs to be trimmed, but one never knows what the future holds.

I ordered a trimmer adapter from Titan Weapons. It looks about the same as the Honey Badger but uses a standard hex nut rather than the jam nut.

Price is about the same but I went Titan because it includes the end mill and vacuum adapter in the kit.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

I have put a few thousand rounds through mine (chopped 223 on the chop saw and then finish trimmed with the Honey Badger).It work well and one of these days I need to pull it back out and process a bunch of brass but life has been getting in the way. I use the ported toolhead from GSI (I think, not home to verify) and it goes quick.

Quote Originally Posted by guywitha3006 View Post
    ...chopped 223 on the chop saw and then finish trimmed with the Honey Badger.
    Why did you chop prior to trimming? Isn't the benefit of the Bosch router supposed to be that it will cut 223 into 300 in one operation?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    Why did you chop prior to trimming? Isn't the benefit of the Bosch router supposed to be that it will cut 223 into 300 in one operation?

Hey Usbp3790, Couple reasons, first is it makes it easier when converting 5.56 blanks (the crimped neck doesn't always like the endmill) the second thing is if you were to mill off the whole neck you have to cycle my 650 slower (I use the HF chop saw with a jig, so doing a pile that way doesn't take much), last thing is the brass doesn't come off in chips but is usually string and it quickly builds up). Long story short it is plenty beefy to take 223 straight to 300 BO if you take your time. Side note I handle brass a few time before it is loaded anyways...as best I can remember I have not seated a single primer with it, so i may do it just because I am set in my ways lol.

Quote Originally Posted by guywitha3006 View Post
    Hey Usbp3790, Couple reasons, first is it makes it easier when converting 5.56 blanks (the crimped neck doesn't always like the endmill) the second thing is if you were to mill off the whole neck you have to cycle my 650 slower (I use the HF chop saw with a jig, so doing a pile that way doesn't take much), last thing is the brass doesn't come off in chips but is usually string and it quickly builds up). Long story short it is plenty beefy to take 223 straight to 300 BO if you take your time. Side note I handle brass a few time before it is loaded anyways...as best I can remember I have not seated a single primer with it, so i may do it just because I am set in my ways lol.
    Yeah. I can see the necessity of chopping if you're converting blanks.

What are you using for case lube?

Boolit Buddy

Usually Dillion spray lube, seams to the least hassle. Once that bottle is gone I will probably mix my own lanolin and alcohol.

Have you had any problems with converting blanks? One of the things I've heard is that case wall thickness of the blank casings varies greatly from case to case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast