RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: ticks for you and your dog

Boolit Master

ticks for you and your dog

the subject is "Ticks". I have several friends who when we are out and about, get ticks. I don't. I take 2- B150 complex vitamin every day. that being said, my vet wanted to give my dog some kind of chemical injection that was supposed to ward off ticks, however it is not good on their kidney and liver, so I put the dog on 1/2 of a B150 this summer, and NO TICKS! Now every year, he has brought home dozens of them in the past, none this year. If you don't do this for you, please think of your loyal friend, and try this. btw, I only buy from a reputable vitamin store, never wally world or walgreens or whatever.

hopefully this will answer some question
    The b vitamins in the B 150 are B1,B2, B6,B12, Biotin and Panthonic Acid. it is itme # 3802 on their site.
    I use Puritans Pride brands exclusively for all my vitamin needs. They are all natural, and they process and grow their own herbs and nutrients for their product. I did not want to seem to be an advertisement for them, but these questions were asked.
    1-800-645-1030 www.puritan.com
    Last edited by doc1876; 05-31-2015 at 06:12 PM.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master
    I'll try it for my own sake but my last dog was stubborn. In 14 years I was not able to get a pill down his throat. I tried crushing into wet food/hamburger/cheese/bacon grease, rolling in baloney, mixing with peanut butter, no luck.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by doc1876 View Post
    the subject is "Ticks". I have several friends who when we are out and about, get ticks. I don't. I take 2- B150 complex vitamin every day. that being said, my vet wanted to give my dog some kind of chemical injection that was supposed to ward off ticks, however it is not good on their kidney and liver, so I put the dog on 1/2 of a B150 this summer, and NO TICKS! Now every year, he has brought home dozens of them in the past, none this year. If you don't do this for you, please think of your loyal friend, and try this. btw, I only buy from a reputable vitamin store, never wally world or walgreens or whatever.
    Please list which vitamins are in the B150 vitamin pills you take.
    It wouldn't hurt to list the brand, too.

Banned
    I've seen this in the past, and know some who have tried it. It works with some people, it doesn't work with others. Depends on the individual's body chemistry. Also depends on the amount of tick pressure (population density) species of tick, and other factors. From my (admittedly) small amount of experience with it, seems to work best on the Brown Dog Tick.

Boolit Master
    Yep, have to echo the caution about the strong anti-parasitic drugs like Ivermectin for dogs. That stuff works great on ruminants but is extremely tricky with canines. The B Vit tip seems like a good one to try.

Boolit Master
    Feed your dog sliced velvetta type cheese. My gods will eat anything wrapped in cheese.

Boolit Master
    Buster was a rescue dog, so he knows to take his pills without any complaints, cause they saved his life once
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00027.jpg  
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by doc1876 View Post
    Buster was a rescue dog, so he knows to take his pills without any complaints, cause they saved his life once
    Rescue dogs are the best!
    They have seen the bad and they appreciate the good!

Boolit Buddy
    No matter what I try to fool my dogs with to get them to take their monthly pill I just grab them and poke it down.

Boolit Master
    Update: I forgot to give him his vitamin b for about 3 days, and this morning, I found a tick on him. Back to giving him his each day.

Boolit Master
    Ticks Breathe through their skin,Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly) smeared on the Tick will kill it and cause it to drop off.This method is used when treating Hedgehogs for Tick infestation.

Boolit Master
    I found a small hedgehog in a city drain in Bremerhaven Germany years ago and it was such a neat little animal.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    Ticks Breathe through their skin,Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly) smeared on the Tick will kill it and cause it to drop off.This method is used when treating Hedgehogs for Tick infestation.
    Actually, respiration is through small diameter holes on the side of the abdomen, called spiracles, not directly through the skin/exoskeleton itself. Petroleum jelly blocks the spiracles, stopping the ability to breathe.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Charley View Post
    Actually, respiration is through small diameter holes on the side of the abdomen, called spiracles, not directly through the skin/exoskeleton itself. Petroleum jelly blocks the spiracles, stopping the ability to breathe.
    The latest advice I have heard is to NOT smother the tick, because it causes them to regurgitate into your bloodstream, increasing your chances of getting any disease they may be carrying.

Boolit Master
    Charley,thanks for the technicality.Hedgehogs seem to be quite vulnerable to tick infestation.In areas where Sheep are kept Ticks thrive and are often found on domestic Animals,my cat deals with them by nibbling at them,she can get most places except for the back of her Neck.We get Hedgehogs in the garden and when picked up Ticks can be seen all over them between the spines.Foxes have been seen reversing into ponds slowly to drown Fleas ,Lice and Ticks with a piece of Sheeps Wool in their Mouth for the insects to float away on.

Ditto on Puritan's Pride (they are almost always running some sort of sale) and embedding pills in Velveeta (although I use the store brand.)
    I make a mix of essential oils, 10 drops of Pine, Eucalyptus & Rosemary oil, 20 drops of citronella, in a pint of water with one or two drops of dish detergent. Put it in a spray bottle and apply after it rains, and every few days after for a couple of weeks ( it's REEEEAL dry here.) Doesn't kill anything, but it is a repellant and the dog smells better.
    Mark
    Any way you sell it,
    No matter how you spell it,
    When you start to smell it,
    BO Stinks!

Banned
    Sorry, tend to get a bit anal about insects and arachnids. Retired entomologist here.