Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freecheck III GC on 22-55-SP for AR15 ---- suggestion / info please.

Boolit Grand Master

That is a different tool. I won't talk about it because I don't want to get banned.

Banned

Why would that get someone banned?

Boolit Master
    That is a different tool.

I fully realize that is a different tool. Freechex is made by Charlie and the FC III produces a complete GC with a single stroke , Chechmaker is made by Pat and requires two operations (steps).

The point I have tried to make is that both tools do infact produce a disc with a burr on it . I have a lifetime of experience with ll type of metal ,piercing, blanking , forming dies and it is for all intent and purposes impossible to not have a burr when metal is sheared which is what happens when a disc is blanked (punched ) out. One of the companies I worked for about 50 years ago is a major metal stamping operation. They have numerious viberators with bowls that are approx. 10 feet in dia. which are used to deburr parts which they produce the Tooling for, run (stamp) the parts then deburr prior to delivering to the customers.

Due to the design of the Freechex III the burr ends up on the outside rim of the cup The Checkmaker being two steps lets one choose burr on the inside or on the outside however burr on the inside is logical the choice.

I suggest everyone carry on with the flavor(s) of gas check they prefer . I still have close to 4,000 addational 22 cal Boolits to make GCs for ,install them then seat / size them.

Why would that get someone banned?
    Just a WAG on my part but I guess some feel that posting negatives about a product produced or sold by a supporting vendor could land one in hot water.

Just to be clear I have and use the Freechex III and have produced and installed over 4,000 GC with it on RCBS 2255SP Boolits . Now I would not have gone to such trouble if I did not like the results. I was just trying to make a point or two which seems to have been a little difficult to make.

Added: There seems to be a move underway which could put an end to all such firearms related WWW discussions anyway, but a discussin along those lines belongs in a different Forum, correct?
    Last edited by Case Stuffer; 06-14-2015 at 08:00 AM.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Case Stuffer is 100% correct. All frechex leave out side burr so thickness or I should say over thickness produces better results. With Pats tool while slower in production gives the option of putting burr on the inside similar to the Hornady/Gator checks. I have both tools and like both they are simply different designs depending on preference of user. Thicker material with burr to inside would be 100% check to shank retention. As long as production quantity was not an issue. Frechex using .011" will stay on most 22 cal shanks to target as well.

In Remembrance
    As stated the tools are not the problem. Using the .011 Amerimax aluminum and many others the problem is solved by going to a thicker material to compensate for the spring back on the .22 calibers. I now use a certified half hard .010 aluminum that does not spring back. Charlie increase the size of the FCIII 22 so I good use it. Early models would jamb up. I only use them with .007 Litho and certified .010 that gets as thin as .009. The .338 and .35 checks have the same problems in thickness selection. This is partly caused by the larger shanks on these bullets in relation to the sizing diameter. Ia'm confused and will shut up!

Quote Originally Posted by GoodAlloy View Post
    Case Stuffer is 100% correct. All frechex leave out side burr so thickness or I should say over thickness produces better results. With Pats tool while slower in production gives the option of putting burr on the inside similar to the Hornady/Gator checks. I have both tools and like both they are simply different designs depending on preference of user. Thicker material with burr to inside would be 100% check to shank retention. As long as production quantity was not an issue. Frechex using .011" will stay on most 22 cal shanks to target as well.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Using a 1-7 twist will result in a disintegrating lead boolit if you push them very fast.

Yes centrifugal force enters into the picture as well and PLEASE do not ask me how I know.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12