Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Texas Open Carry

Boolit Master

Texas Open Carry

Alright TxGunNut suggested we do a thread on the new Open carry law in Texas.

My feelings? I like that we now have it. I probably won't ever use it simply because I agree that concealed carry (yes I am licensed) is a better option in 99% of cases. But I like that I have the option.

What's your 2 cents?

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Banned
    Whether we plan on using it or not, we should all be happy that we have gotten some of our rights back. This also puts an end to the "printing" issue.

Glad to see it pass as liberal bastions such as Austin will have to comply with the law. I bet there were some choice words flying, from their anti-Second Amendment city council and the left wing Southern Californian they hired for a police chief, when this bill passed. Also, as the above poster stated, all issues resulting in the gun not being completely concealed have gone away. Everyone I have talked to was happy for the bill to pass, but none of them have stated any desire to openly carry. I personally will continue to carry concealed, but I might get a outside belt holster to wear under a coat in the winter as it's becoming difficult to use an inside w/b holster due to my expanding mid section. Guess I need to lay off of the vienna sausages with mustard, which was the primo dinner when I was in the Boy Scouts out in West Texas.

Boolit Master

For me too the reason I hoped it would pass would be for the printing issue to go away.

Boolit Grand Master

To each his own, but unless I am hunting, I don't need open carry. That said, it is great to have the option.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

I also like the option, but doubt I will open carry. Don't want to be the cause of little ole ladies wetting their drawers and fainting...
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

I like it. Would love to be able to carry full size without the printing issue. Very very difficult for a smaller guy like me. Will I open carry? Absolutely! All the time? Nope, will actually be a rare occurance. Where I live, not overly concerned about upsetting the little old ladies. They will probably strap on more often than I will!

Boolit Master

What many people don't realize is that *currently*, we can only legally open carry a handgun on our own property. If we were visiting a friend or relative, we could not legally open carry on their property even if they gave us permission unless we were actively hunting. That is a totally BS law, but that is what we've been stuck with. Even with the new Open Carry Law, those without a CHL will still have to abide by that BS law, but there was a piece of legislation this session that was supposed to get rid of this. I don't know the bill number or how it did though. I think most people just didn't realize that open carrying a handgun on a friend's or relative's property (even with permission) was illegal. This is not just an open carry issue, but a property rights issue.

I fully support Open Carry, even though I don't see myself using it that much. I mainly see myself using it for when I need to drive from one of my properties to another. With it, I won't have to put on a vest to cover the gun while I'm in my car. If open carry truly becomes accepted here in Texas, we might expect to see less of the compact handguns and more of the medium to full size ones. We might also start seeing more nicely tooled leather holsters instead of the plastic / Kydex ones and more steel handguns instead of tuperware. During a Texas summer, it would also be nice to have one less layer of clothing that I would need to wear.

Will it ever be common to walk into a store and see something like this and it not be out of the ordinary? I hope so...

Unfortunately, I suspect that too many will end up looking like this:

Last edited by NavyVet1959; 05-31-2015 at 12:56 PM.

The whole bit about carrying on property other than yours is one of the things that prompted me to apply for a chl to begin with. As far as the bottom picture.....STAY OUT OF WALMART!

Boolit Master
    Haven't looked at the bill, does it cover those with just a TX permit, or any permit that TX recognizes?
    I'm assuming all recognized permits.

It will make it easier when I get back down there for hunting.
    No more worrying if the weather warms up and I take off a coat that the gun is now open carried. I prefer an OWB holster for hunting, IWB for daily carry.

Texas has the reputation for being ultra gun friendly, most people are astonished when they find out that handgun open carry isn't legal and what hoops had to be jumped through for a Concealed carry permit (revised last year).
    And what it took to get concealed carry in TX, the Libby's restaurant massacre.

Glad they are getting things right, I do love it down there, on my very short list of places to escape to in the future.

Will I be open carrying, no not normally.
    But it will be nice not to have to worry about the state of the handgun while driving around in a truck full of rifles.
    Was always funny that we could have as many loaded rifles/shotguns in the truck, but had to be concerned in how the pistol was carried.

Go Texas.

Boolit Grand Master

I doubt I'll change how I carry, my LE training about the tactical advantage of concealed carry in plain clothes is still with me but it could be that the situation has changed. As always I'll have to study on this a bit. Haven't read the version of the law that actually passed, that could have an influence on my actions as well. All in all I think it's a good law, may finally get to show off some the fine steel handguns and quality leatherwork I've been hiding all these years if the situation calls for it.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

We shall see if the crazies come out and how long it take for the smoke to settle.

I am a CC and will be carrying concealed when I carry.
    Why give away a tactical advantage and become a target??

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I often wonder if we all shouldn't be carrying openly. I understand the points against it but I also remember when I was a young lad. I doubt any generation could be exposed to more firearms than we were. We weren't shooting up our classmates either. Many hunted their way to school and hunted their way home. Firearms were a very common sight and no one got bent out of shape or panicky. They were just firearms is all and maybe.....but I suppose highly unlikely....if it was more common and the great fears some have never materialize the opposition would calm down a bit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Will it ever be common to walk into a store and see something like this and it not be out of the ordinary? I hope so...

What store are you going to? I wanna go there too!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    We shall see if the crazies come out and how long it take for the smoke to settle.
    They won't be coming out. You will find that it's business as usual. This is the case in states that have had open carry for decades.

The more people OC, the more people are exposed to firearms. It becomes commonplace and along w/ that is comfort. It will take years but the more people are comfortable being around the firearms the less we will have to fight for our rights.

Boolit Master

There's going to be a public acceptable period. I would like to see some of the legislators, politicians, and media personalities get on the bandwagon and start open carrying while not making a big deal of it. The more people are exposed to it, the less they will think that it is some sort of big deal for someone to have a particular type of tool on their belt.

Boolit Master
    Yeah try finding the passed wording of the bill. HB 910 http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLoo...84R&Bill=HB910 I spent some time on the web page and am still scratching my head.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

In Remembrance

I guess Greg Abbot earned my vote.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    I want to read the final version case I have a distrust of anything any legislature passes til I see the final copy. It's usually a matter of the devil being in the details, as with so many other things. I do like that we finally have the option though, cause personally, I always assume that everyone is armed at all times til proven otherwise, and not the other way around. And If I can be trusted to carry concealed, there is absolutely no reason that I should not be allowed to carry openly too. I mean, either we are considered responsible adults, or we aren't. I just hope that they didn't do what Arizona did for a few short years. Back then, you could carry EITHER openly, or concealed, but not both. I found that out when I got stopped for speeding one day and asked an AZ Trooper and got told that I had to choose between the 1911 on my belt, or the snubby in my pocket to be legal, but to either carry both concealed or both openly. Thankfully, he thought that particular law was senseless as it had been explained to him and he was not interested in enforcing it.

You know, while they're fixing stupid laws, how about doing away with the list of places they won't let a CHL carry? If you're a criminal, I don't want you carrying anywhere, but if you're a good law-abiding citizen, I want you armed absolutely everywhere if you're willing, cause it may just be you who drops the criminal that puts your loved ones and mine in danger.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast