Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Short shooting sticks for my 303

Boolit Buddy

Short shooting sticks for my 303

I made a short set of shooting sticks out of round dowel, I drilled a hole through it and put a small bolt and washers to hold it together.
    I peened the end of the bolt to stop it from unscrewing while in use, it sure works good for making prone shots on small game like these pesky little varmint rabbits we have here.
    I changed the front sight on my Maltby because it was shooting way too high at normal hunting ranges, the taller sight still needs a 6 o'clock hold.
    I got to try the shooting sticks and new sights on the trek out of the woods tonight, two more grass rats bite the dust after eating a 174 grain high speed Hornady RN 303 bullet, one was close range at about 30 yds, the other was closer to 75 yds, the shooting sticks work awesome.
    The 45-70, the only Government I trust.
    The Gospel of speed is accuracy.

Boolit Master
    I picked up a tripod for video cameras at a salvage store, dirt cheap because a leg extension was missing. Without the extensions its about high enough to use as a fore end rest in kneeling or prone positions.
    Haven't tried it out yet.
    It was a quality made sturdy tripod when new, not the flimsey type you normally see, I have one of those as well.

I also have a never used tripod legged stand for IV bottles. The base part could be used as a stable shooting stick.

I've found firing from the sitting position with arms braced on knees to be the most stable shooting position.

It is really nice to find ways to make our gun work its best.

Boolit Master
    Something I've seen in old British movies would probably work well as a monopod type rest.
    Its a cane with folding seat for the handle.
    At horse races and other outdoor events the gentry who wished to take a seat while stoking their pipe or whatever carried these. You stuck the tip in the ground and unfolded the spade grip to form a place to sit, not very comfortably I'm sure.
    At its normal height it could be used as a rest when firing from the kneeling position.