WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 Years of Gas Can Hell

Like others posted, they sell yellow gas can vents on ebay for less than a buck each. Make sure the can is empty as there usually ends up being a few plastic bits left over from drilling the 1/2" hole. And one of those stepped drill bits works great for drilling the hole in the soft plastic. http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Yellow-VE...cAAOxyVLNSr4H6

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CYNDNM8?psc=1 "repair kits" for gas cans. As the article stated. Speak-easy economy. Like prohibition closed the saloons and folks found a solution.

Can't sell gas cans with regular nozzles so they sell repair kits that are the regular nozzle. BTW - it was my understanding that the change was about keeping kids from getting to the gas, a child proof cap for gas cans. I recall even my old blitz can has a release you had to push in order to get the cap open. So if stored with nozzle inside the can had a child proof cap. Kids can't squeeze the release lever on new ones so they can't get to gas. I guess the powers that be noticed no one leaves the spout in the can with the cap seal in place so now the child proof part is on the spout itself.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    lol I 'broke' my gas can so it would keep pouring without the stupid safety feature. Good to know I'm not the only one frustrated by them.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    Funny that this thread came up. I just picked up another small generator yesterday and am shopping for another gas can. I'm kind of obsessive about fire prevention.

Keep 3 good sized extinguishers in the shop. Keep flammable liquids in safety containers and in a full height, code compliant commercial flammables cabinet. Extinguishers in each vehicle. Extinguishers in each bedroom, each end of the central hall, kitchen and out by the smoker and BBQs.

I do have 3 or 4 plastic "gas cans", but prefer the metal containers made by Justrite or Wavian.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
    Better yet, drill 1/2 inch hole and install a tire valve stem. Use the cap to cap it and if you lose it they're easy to replace. If it's your long term storage cans leave the valve in and they won't leak a bit.
    /\ /\

And I'll also second the use of metal "jerry" cans and the old round safety cans that escaped the regs.

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    I still like the old GI 5 gal cans with there leaky steel flex spout and hard rubber cap gasket that never sealed great. On the farm the back of the pickup always had a coating of diesel from the cans leaking but the bed never rusted. All the new safety spouts suck, the only safety can that was any good was the just rite or eagle and they were not easy to use with out a funnel making it a two person job. I know of no yard maintenance company that uses the safety spout for there mowers and trimers as they spill more with them than they ever did with the old style.
    Shaune509

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    One issue with the old Jerry GI 5 gal cans is rust - Unless you put a fuel/water separator in your fuel line, you can end up getting to clean rust out of your carb or fuel injectors. Annoying to get to rebuild the truck's carb regularly...

Boolit Master
    Just a FYI; While the initial cited article is no longer available, much of it can be read here:
    https://stellasplace1.com/2016/02/16...-gas-can-hell/

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    Just a FYI; While the initial cited article is no longer available, much of it can be read here:
    https://stellasplace1.com/2016/02/16...-gas-can-hell/
    Thanks for that link. Otherwise, the whole thread kind of loses any continuity, since one just has to infer what the trouble might be.

All my fuel/gas cans are old, & I do not intend on changing either.
    LOL

P.S. - Just another example of Gubment regulation over reach, IMO, as well.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

In Remembrance
    Kind of expensive, but you can still real gas cans. they are for racing and pit style, white usually. Our hardware stores sell them.Our hardware stores also stocks the kits to change them, including the vent, but on the package it states, do not use for gas. lol

If you ever get up to Canada, the plain old gas cans are sold there, for some reason they are not dangerous across the border. lol

Boolit Master
    The EZpour web site has the same exact spouts labeled for water cans, for the states that the gas can ones can't be shipped to.

Boolit Buddy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12