Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead waterfall!!!

Lead waterfall!!!

I had my first unfortunate lead spill last night. I was chugging along pouring some 200 gr SWC's when I got the bright idea to start fiddling with handle adjustments on my 4-20. It was pouring a little faster than I wanted so instead of just lowering the adjustment screw down to an acceptable level I got the bright idea to turn the valve rod adjustment screw to try and slow it down. Well that was my blonde moment, because the pot just started pouring lead! I tried to hold the handle down to stop it and of course it did nothing, so I started turning the adjustment screw to stop it and it wasn't working either.
    After a minute of constant pouring I finally got it adjusted to where it stopped, but by then a good 5 lbs or more was in the catch pan and waterfalling onto the floor.

All I can say is thank goodness I have smooth concrete in my garage! It did splatter all over everything within a 4 ft radius, including my boots and a little spatter on my pants. Using a metal scraper I managed to get everything cleaned up and with a flat shovel scooped up and into a bucket. No burns anywhere, thankfully.

What a PITA that was. I had an aluminum catch pan under the pot but it wasn't ready for that kind of flow!

Note to self, use a deep metal pot with an almost empty casting pot when adjusting the valve rod and handle.

Be careful out there! One dumb decision and you too can enjoy a beautiful silver waterfall!
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

Boolit Master

does get exciting when the silver stream starts pouring out. Glad you were hurt
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

I keep a large, rimmed, metal beer serving tray under my pot and an empty can nearby. An ingot mold is also close.

Boolit Grand Master

Why didn't you just put a pan, can, or pot under the spout while you adjusted the valve?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Why didn't you just put a pan, can, or pot under the spout while you adjusted the valve?
    I had an aluminum pan under it that would hold a lb or 2, but I didn't expect that type of flow. Just wasn't thinkin. Lesson learned.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    does get exciting when the silver stream starts pouring out. Glad you weren't hurt
    Thanks! Fixed that for ya, I hope!
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to casting 101 1/2, 1911. THIS is the reason we approach our craft warily, ALWAYS taking into account the "what ifs" involved. IF we just do things in a manner that IF something bad happens, we STILL don't get hurt, then we are behaving wisely. If we don't, sometimes we get hurt. Things don't always go as planned, so we have to approach anything dangerous, like playing with molten lead at very high temps, with caution and do all we can to provide for the "what ifs."

If it's any consolation, and makes you feel any better, most of us have had at least SOME sort of mishap along our way, even some of the best and most experienced casters here. As the old saying goes, wisdom comes from experience, and much experience comes from making simple mistakes. You are now wiser, but still healthy. That's always something to be thankful for, and responsive to in the future. Bet you already have, or at least are looking for a bigger pan?

I've never used bottom pour, so haven't had your particular experience, but that doesn't matter. When playing with molten lead, there'll ALWAYS be ways to hurt yourself. You did good. Your mistake didn't cost you. It really doesn't get any better than that in life, unless of course we're perfect (fat chance!). You really did good. Congrats!

Boolit Master

Experience is still the best teacher.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Banned

there is a reason the dog is scared of the deep fryer.
    I don't know the reason but the dog and someone else does.

Boolit Master
    Looks like the tinsel fairy dumped on you big time! but glad to know you were none the worse for wear.

Just goes to show, we all have to be mindful of what we do, when the galena is in full flow.

ukrifleman.

Yea, one of those 1 am decisions you wish you could have back!! I have been extremely careful thus far, just let a moment slip and paid the price. Like you said, didn't get hurt, so being a mistake it couldn't have gone any better.

I have been trying to get some casting done the past few nights and have had to put it off every night until last night. I should have just waited until tonight to do it. My head is always more clear going into a weekend.

I have a couple of pots that would have worked perfectly, just didn't have the mental clarity to use it at the time. Live and learn.
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

Boolit Grand Master

I use a small bread pan under the spout of my RCBS pot. Still probably would not hold a full pot, but would give me time to run!

Boolit Grand Master

The Gods of the silver stream have taught us another lesson and you weren't hurt. Thanks for sharing the story and hopefully some of us will benefit from it.
    Glad it ended well.

Boolit Master
    Yep helpful info. Glad you weren't hurt!! Teddy

Boolit Master

The real lesson here is ladle pouring is the One True Way to cast, and all you bottom-drippers are just asking for divine retribution.

Boolit Master

After reading the thread title I thought you had made one of your wishes to the genie in the bottle. Standing by the lead waterfall with your ingot mold. Glad you are OK!
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master

I'll repeat myself. The garage floor oil drip tray ($12 at Wal-Mart) is about 47" x 25" x 1/2" deep and will contain a LOT of lead. It's galvanized steel and lead doesn't stick to it. The lip keeps your boolits from rolling off onto the floor on good days. On bad days it may be a little more valuable. I put a piece of 1/2" sheetrock under mine to provide some heat protection to the cabinet finished oak countertop just in case I get a large concentration of heat. A good day of casting can build up more heat than I would deliberately want to expose to the polyurethane finish. I just dump the boolits onto the drip pan. All of my casting equipment that's being actively used stays within the boundaries of the drip tray.

Cheap insurance!

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

A couple of years ago I had pretty much the same thing happen except I wanted more flow not less. I managed to back the rod right out of the threads on my 4-20 and the race was on.

Since then I haven't done it again but one wise old sage offered that the quickest way to fix the problem is to simply put in an ingot of lead or two and the spout will freeze in short order, DUH!!

Boolit Grand Master

Small loaf pans, about 3 1/2"x6" hold roughly 18-20 lbs. of lead and fit under the spout on my Lee pot. I had the adjusting screw head pop out of the slot in the needle valve and the stream went wide open. Lucky for me I had a couple loaf pans within arm's reach! Yep, BTDT...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

When the BAD IDEA fairy comes around and starts telling you to do things like that you have got to lean to just say NO! Bad Idea fairies just love to put ideas into your head, watch U-Tube...effects of listening to the BIF each and every one.
    Glad to hear you weren't injured, that could have gotten bad quick. Catch pan is a life saver .
    Actually I went back to open top pot and ladle casting after a few experiences with a bottom pour pot. Open tops just don't ever leak, drip or flood your bench, unless you turn it over.

Gary