Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Hardness

Boolit Mold

Hardness

I recently acquired 50+ lbs. of graphite coated industrial lead shot. I melted and fluxed it and poured into ingots that test 7-7.2 bnh. They fill my 38/357 molds well during test pours. I plan on casting for my 38's in the 700-800 fps range with cast bullets fit to bore, tumble lubed. My question - Are these hard enough for the intended low velocity loads?

From my experience....yes. I have to wonder if that shot is actually that soft though. Are you measuring right after pouring or after a week or 2?

Boolit Mold
    about 30 minutes after pouring. I will retest as its been about 2 weeks. I know they will be a little harder.

Boolit Master

Hardness is fine but fit is more important. Have you slugged your cylinder yet? Maybe your barrel too. And you may need to measure the forcing cone too.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Grand Master

Industrial lead shot may not have the antimony content of that for shotguns. It could be closer to pure lead, but it should work for your intended use. Maybe cut it a little with some pure lead and add a small amount of tin to sweeten it up and make it last longer. As stated fit is important. Bullets for the velocity range you are wanting may do better on the soft side as they will obtrate better with lighter loads.