MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 inch titanium tracker in 41Mag

Boolit Master

4 inch titanium tracker in 41Mag

OK, anybody provide any up to date info, I have stumbled upon one and think I want it. I fully expect ,at 24oz, it will rock the world with factory 41mags, but I am looking for a 41 special shooter to hunt deers and cans with. I have found that the cyl is too short for "big" bullets in mag cases, no problem. Really would like to know about accuracy and just how bad the recoil really is. Any info or opinions welcome. Note , this would be my 2nd Taurus, have never been a fan, but... anyway they want 700$, seems kinda steep? thanks all
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Generous Donator

My Taurus 41 mag tracker has a 2.5" barrel and it is a hand full with the loads I use in my RBH and my 1894FG. Before any of you say it didn't come with a 2.5" barrel mine did. A guy special ordered it and didn't like it. He didn't handload.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HPIM1262.jpg   HPIM1266.jpg   HPIM1267.jpg   HPIM1268.jpg  
    Last edited by crazy mark; 05-29-2015 at 12:41 AM. Reason: add pictures

I'm interested to hear as well. Been looking for one myself as I'm a sicker for the 41.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy mark View Post
    My Taurus 41 mag tracker has a 2.5" barrel and it is a hand full with the loads I use in my RBH and my 1894FG. Before any of you say it didn't come with a 2.5" barrel mine did. A guy special ordered it and didn't like it. He didn't handload.
    Technically, yours is not the "Tracker" model. Trackers have adjustable sights and longer barrels. Yours is like mine, just a plain model 415 stainless steel.

Key
    "Hatred is the cowards answer for being intimidated"

Generous Donator

Quote Originally Posted by Keyston44 View Post
    Technically, yours is not the "Tracker" model. Trackers have adjustable sights and longer barrels. Yours is like mine, just a plain model 415 stainless steel.

Key
    Nope not a SS as it has the steel barrel insert. I blanked out the serial number. It is really light. The original receipt also said tracker. You can see the insert in the photo.

Your pictures show that you have the stainless steel model. Mine has the same looking barrel sleeve. Titanium models also say "Titanium" on the barrel or frame. If you put a magnet to it I'm sure it will be attracted to it. Where it wouldn't with a ti model.

Key
    Last edited by Keyston44; 05-30-2015 at 12:37 AM.
    "Hatred is the cowards answer for being intimidated"

Boolit Master
    Well it followed me home today:

Not bad at all with 210 Gold Dots (came in the trade) except the price of factory! Got my 41 Special brass , gotta get some dies and mould on the way. I actually really like shooting it , even with 41Mags, but the grip has to go. It hits my middle knuckle, goin grip shoppin!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I would keep the loads VERY low. Friend had one, in under twenty rounds it broke. For $700, I would look for a used revolver, in pretty much any other brand.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I don't have near 700 in it, but could you expand on "broke" so I can investigate solution/prevention? I like it for a 210gr at 900fps shooter and a nice lite creek wading smallmouth fishing cotton mouth eliminator with shot. Never been a Taurus fan either but this thing is interestin.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd like to have one in titanium or a Smith (model) 357. Both are like hens teeth.

Boolit Buddy

I had a 4" Tracker in 44 Mag, it was a handful with full power ammo but shot well. I bought it NIB to use as a 44 Special +p shooter ( 246 Grain cast SWC @ 1,000 fps ) and it worked well in that role, it only went down the road because I went back to all .38/.357 to prolong my PB supply. I would buy another if I come across a 4" in .357 for a decent price.
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Master
    I just ordered a lee 195 mould ,dies and a sizer from Titan. Planning on about 900ish with the 195 with Unique based on some reading on here. I load 410 shotshells and it looks like a 410 shotcup will make a dandy snake load. Probably only one to shoot first up in case they want to "jump crimp". The speer shotcaps work really well in my 696 so now it can avoid the occasional swim in the creek

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I don't have near 700 in it, but could you expand on "broke" so I can investigate solution/prevention? I like it for a 210gr at 900fps shooter and a nice lite creek wading smallmouth fishing cotton mouth eliminator with shot. Never been a Taurus fan either but this thing is interestin.
    Factory rounds, tied up the cylinder, and frame stretched seriously.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Generous Donator

Quote Originally Posted by Keyston44 View Post
    Your pictures show that you have the stainless steel model. Mine has the same looking barrel sleeve. Titanium models also say "Titanium" on the barrel or frame. If you put a magnet to it I'm sure it will be attracted to it. Where it wouldn't with a ti model.

Key
    Magnet doesn't stick to barrel, just sleeve. Doesn't stick to cylinder either. I guess it is a franken tracker. Or 415. Whatever

Boolit Master
    Thanks Waksupi, I will get a good dimension on the frame window and keep watch. I will not be shooting any factory 41mags ,57$ a box !!!! Good Grief! Here in TN a 200 gr at 900 or so will do anything I need done with a revolver, probably 750fps in reality.

Boolit Bub
    Congrats on the Titanium Tracker they are a nice lightweight piece for all day on the hiking trail.
    Here are my Bulls.

2 1/2" Tracker 415 without ports.
    Single action trigger pull averages 4lb 13oz and double action is 11lb 3oz.
    215gr SWC at ~1000fps hits a little high and left of POA.

After shooting the non-ported 415, the ported 3" barrel 425 feels like shooting a .38 Special.
    Single action trigger pull on this one has a little creep and is right at 4lbs. Double action pull is inconsistent ranging from 10lb 11oz to over the 12lb limit of my Lyman digital scale.

The porting works well on the super light 4" 425 Titanium too keeping muzzle rise to a minimum.
    Trigger pull on this revolver only varied a few ounces at 3lb 9oz SA and 10lb 3oz DA.

Raging Bull

KO

Those are some sweet pistols with even sweeter grips. Where did the grips come from?

Boolit Master
    I'll second that ! I like those grips, great photos also.

Been hunting a pistol like these for some time and this guy has 4 of them. Rub it in hard why don't ya.

Boolit Bub
    Grips on the 415 and Raging Bull are from eBay seller jaruwan.p. The maple grips on the 3 inch 425 were also bought on eBay, made by someone here in the U.S., don't remember who. The Ti 425 has a set of Nills S&W K frame grips that I modified.

KO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast