Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Scrap yard only place for XRF scan?

Scrap yard only place for XRF scan?

I need to get a few bars (about 13-lbs total) scanned to find out their exact alloy. Tomorrow I'll be stopping at the scrap yard to get rid of a few bucket of steel clips, and I'll be bringing the bars of unknown alloy with me. I'm pretty the bars have a large percentage of lead, with a fair amount of tin, but the other metals I don't know, and I'd like to get exact percentages of each metal.

How likely is it that a scrap yard will scan a metal and provide a readout of the alloy for an occasional customer?

I meant to call them up today to see if they would do this, but I forgot and now they are closed.

I just want to know what kind of success people have in doing that at a scrap yard, and if there is any other places I might try that would do this for me. Maybe any tips in convincing them to do it for me. It would be nice if those things werent $10k+

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Most XFR's are more like $40K.

They should be glad to do business with you. Tell them you have a bunch of bars of the stuff you are bringing in that you want to sell and need to know what is in them.

I never leave a scrap yard with bars or hunks of "lead" unless they give me a reading! Takes 10 seconds. Lead sheet forms are pretty much pure....no need for a shoot.

I have found almost every conceivable shape and form of "lead" and without knowing the EXACT %, I would be totally out of luck using the alloy calc sheet on here!

banger

Boolit Master

Rotometals will scan it for 50 bucks but you have to send it to them.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Master

I have brought coins that I have cast from different items (pewter and radiator shop drippings) to the local scrap yard, and had no trouble getting them scanned. I do very little business with them, but the ladies there are glad to help with a smile and a sweet southern accent.
    Ask, the worst that can happen is that they say, NO.
    Jack

well they did and the bars ended up being 80%+ lead and the rest shared between antimony and tin.

The bars are for sale on the S&S section if anyone is interested.