RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: 1911 for Wild Bunch?

Boolit Man

Question 1911 for Wild Bunch?

After getting into SASS and shooting several matches, I've decided I'd like to get into the Wild Bunch category. I have a 1911 that I built from parts in the late 1980's, but it's built more like a USPSA single-stack gun, and I really don't want to downgrade it to shoot Wild Bunch. So, I have an excuse (as if I need one) to buy a new toy. A search on the forum didn't really make my choice any easier. Some folks seem to like the Remington R1, and I kinda like the Springfield Mil-spec. Only thing I'd have to do for that one is black out the dots on the sights. A friend of mine has a RO that shoots very well.

So, any of you guys have a dedicated 1911 that you set up for Wild Bunch? Which one did you choose, and what did you do to it to make it better for the game, if anything?
    Tom Herbert
    Katy, Texas, USA
    SASS #102029, Alias "Layte Comer"

I have two 1911's set up for Wild Bunch. One has some "goodies" on it that I use for "Modern". It's a Colt Mark IV, Series 70. The other one is for "Traditional", and is pretty much bone stock GI. It's a Great Western, built for me by Johnny Jingos, the son-in-law of the late General U.S. Grant, SASS #2, who was a close friend.

Most any quality 1911 will do, but just as important are good reliable magazines. I prefer Checkmate magazines myself, and have had horrible luck with Chip McCormick Shooting Star and Wilson's. The Shooting Stars had weak springs and the Wilsons had lips that wouldn't stay in spec. Others have reported good luck with both of those brands, but that wasn't the case for me.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    SASS #68761
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Man
    I have a friend that has one of the 1911A1 replicas that were built by a bunch of companies a few years ago, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the 1911. It shoots fine, but I just can't see the standard military sights.

I have a couple of the CMC mags. One will fall out of the well on my current 1911, one won't. I'll have to buy some new mags anyway...
    Tom Herbert
    Katy, Texas, USA

Boolit Buddy
    I've been involved in CAS for a year and a half. I also got the itch to try WB. I picked up a Remington R1 pretty cheap. Had a throat and trigger job done by Mackinaw Kid. Eager to try it out. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't seem to me that you need something that is a tack driver, like a bulls-eye gun, that reliability and functionality within the rules would be more important as the ranges are close and the targets are large.

Boolit Man
    I would agree. I think speed is more important than tack-driver accuracy for the reasons stated by hp246. Therefore, before I've even purchased my WB gun, I've been working on a load in my current 1911. As long as the gun will function reliably, I would think what you want is low recoil, so that you can recover quickly from shot to shot, and keep the gun on target. My goal, just initially, is a load that I can fire three times in one second, and stay on target. Unfortunately, the range I usually shoot at has gotten persnickety about allowing rapid fire, regardless of the capability of the shooter, both safety-wise, and in ability to hit the target, so I wasn't able to test my new load today. I was shooting one shot about every 1.5 - 2 seconds, and one of the range officers came by and asked me to slow down. I was shooting two handed, and all of my shots were in a 2" circle at 7 yards, but the range officer still insisted that I slow down, because "rules are rules."

But I think I've got a good load -- a 185 grain Bullseye-style (long nose) SWC at about 660 fps, by the velocity change calculator on Ammoguide. I'll need to run it over a chronograph to be certain, but it shoots very well in my current pistol. I was surprised, however, that I didn't have to go to a lighter recoil spring for such a light load, but it runs fine on the stock 16# spring, which is fairly new, probably less than 2000 rounds on it.
    Tom Herbert
    Katy, Texas, USA

Boolit Master

Auto-Ordnance has a "New" 1911-A1 BKO out that might be what you need.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Man
    Possibly, but those sights would have to be replaced with something more visible. It gets good reviews, and the price is certainly good. I'll have to go look at one somewhere.

Thanks!
    Tom Herbert
    Katy, Texas, USA

Boolit Master

What are the requirements for a "Wild Bunch" 1911? Does it need to be a true 1911 with the tiny sights, long trigger, no scallops on the frame and the short grip safety or can 1911A1s or modified 1911s be used?

I've always thought the this style of shooting would be a fun way to spend a day, but my local club closed down its Cowboy shooting due to a lack of interest while I was deploying often. Now that I've got the time, they are on to other styles of competition. Oh well.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy
    There are two categories. traditional and Modern. Externally, Traditional has to look like an old school Military 1911. Some internal mods are allowed, but no bull barrels, etc. Modern lets you have a bit fancier hammers and triggers. Mags have to be stock magazines. No extentions, no pads on the bottoms. No three dot sights, etc.

Boolit Grand Master

http://www.curtrich.com/01wildbunchfordummies.html

"Full size single stack steel frame 1911 style semi-auto pistol in .45 ACP caliber." There are a LOT of 1911 variants. Only certain ones are allowed.

Traditional Category:

"• Only traditional style pistols are allowed.

• Must be shot one handed unsupported. Weak hand may be used for loading,
    racking slide, and in case of malfunctions.

• Any legal rifle or shotgun may be used.

• Other category variations may include Ladies categories, Traditional Category
    using any shooting style, and so forth."

UPDATE 2010--Mainspring housing may be serrated, smooth, or checkered.

A "military style" sight is one consisting of a flat blade directly over the dovetail, no extensions to lengthen the sight radius. The size, over the years, has varied, so big ones like those on the Springfield Mil-Spec and current Colt Government Models and 1991A1s, and tiny ones like those on the original 1911s are both allowed. The edges may be rounded, but they don't have to be. It's your hand when you have to clear a stovepipe (more on that in a later chapter.)

No one warned Colt that 3 dot sights would be illegal in SASS Wild Bunch matches, and they made some Government Models with 3 white dot sights. Springfield made some Mil-Specs with 3 white dot sights. If you have one of these guns, keep a black Sharpie in your ammo box.

Basic Colt beveled magazine well

Modern Category

At EOT 2008 Holy Terror shooting Modern, on her way to first overall

"• Modern and Traditional style pistols are allowed.

• May be shot in any shooting style.

• Any legal rifle or shotgun may be used."

Update 2010--wrap arround grips not allowed. Nothing can cover the front strap. If you use Pachmayr wrap-around grips, you may cut off the wrap-around portion and use the rubber grip panels.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-30-2015 at 12:07 AM.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the info guys. Seems like the rules are pretty lax and should allow maximum participation.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf