MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Shotgun reloading issues

Shotgun reloading issues

Im reloading some 12 gauge on a load all 2. this is the load.
    green rem hulls
    12s0 claybusters
    1oz drive key slug
    35 grains steel
    cci 209

The problems i have is that the primers seem to be sticking out slightly. its not a max charge of powder either, if its compressing too much. some of them hang fire as well, im thinking that has to do with the non flush primer. My crimps are unfolding on about 10-20% of the finished rounds. Ive only reloading about 50 of these and found the unfolding about 1-2 days a later.

these are factory loads and they seem to stick out just as much as mine.
    my feedback. ive done a few more but never get feedback.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=beex215

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Just a hint; check your wad pressure to ensure it's completely seated, (might have to put more wad pressure to slightly collapse wad column),set your crimp slightly deeper, if possible, and set your crimp taper some more. If using 6 crimp hulls, they take a LOT of open space to properly fold! As for hang-fire situation, check your firing pin protrusion. Does this weapon hang-fire with regular non slug rounds? Also might try changing brands of primers to one that is sealed over priming compound. Just my .02 cents. Good luck to you.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Man
    You might try Cheddite primers, available through Ballistic Products and some others. They are not only cheaper, (about 2/3 the cost of domestic brands), they are metric and fit slightly snugger than domestic......Robin

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by robinsroost View Post
    You might try Cheddite primers, available through Ballistic Products and some others. They are not only cheaper, (about 2/3 the cost of domestic brands), they are metric and fit slightly snugger than domestic......Robin
    I use a Williams Gunsight primer pocket preener.....it will tighten up a loose primer pocket.....

Boolit Master

Question . As you are loading do you go thru the steps with 1 case at the time or sort of progressively, move each hull from station to station ?

I tried the progressive way & found the sizer ring(I had 2)wouldn't let the station go down far enuff to fully seat the primer, but take the shell individually thru the stations no problem.

I`ve reloaded metallic for many yrs. & always check primers by feel before proceeding , are they flush after the priming step??As stated they may be lose fit & I promise Cheddites will cure that problem.

GP
    GP100man

Boolit Buddy

If you are getting hang fires .... could it be the primer is having difficulty stoking all the powder?I have not seen Steel used for slugs and that powder may need a hotter primer, the Alliant website calls for Fed 209a / Fed 209m with similar charge weight as you .
    As far as the crimp un-folding on the lee load all... I learned a trick for getting good and consistent crimps by simply placing the hull in the pre-crimp position (either the 6 or 8) with an "inniy" crease facing at 6 o'clock. I use a Remington gun club hull they have an 8 point crimp ... I have noticed after a few loadings the crimp stage goes easier and the crimp looks better as the hull takes a bit more of the crease .. see if after a few loadings your hulls don't just stay tight on there own. I load the lee 1oz with either a fed s3 with a card or cb 1100-12 with a card and 33g of HS-6 , win 209 without issues... the combo you are using may just not go together well ... The real question is how do they shoot? Anyway you can take a look at this site http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/ for some other workable 1 oz lee slug loads.

I can give a little opinion. If the crimps are loosening a bit that might give a little hangfire issue along with the regular primers and the somewhat softer claybusters wads and a lighter charge of steel. I got them also with soft wad columns and lighter charges of steel with only the Lee 1 oz even using the CCI 209M. I think the steel likes a bit of back pressure on to work well.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Buddy
    It does sound as though the stack height is just a bit too much for this load, causing the crimps to pop. That load of Steel is pretty bulky, so I'd second the suggestion of trying a 12S3 wad (real Fed wad fits the slug much better than CB). The hangfires are most likely the result of using a lighter charge and a 1 oz load with a non-magnum primer. Steel is really best with heavy loads, and I found it unreliable for Lee slug loads when I tried it, including hangfires and a few squibs. Loose crimps could contribute to that as well, but I gave up on Steel as a slug powder long ago because this just doesn't seem to be the "sweet spot" for this powder, unless you drive them very fast with a lot of powder (and that's why Lee has those 49 grain Blue Dot loads---you need that to get proper ignition in a 1 oz load.)

Known issue with Rem Hulls, the radius on the primers are slightly different.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823