Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20# of pure pot on the way (4 5lb ingots)

Question 20# of pure pot on the way (4 5lb ingots)

Oops, my keyboard made some errors...

Tired of beating my head trying to use 19+ BHN in a 43 Spanish. Dropped hammer on (4) 5lb ingots at 9.99 each. USPS workers are gonna pump some iron, er, lead. If this works well enough, I might want to get a better price through a bigger buy.

In order to drop @20 lbs of 19 BHN down to @10 BHN, how much WW should I decant from my pot, and how much pure lead do I need to add?
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master
    Hmmm. I think there is a calculator on this site to figure that very thing. Hint: It' a sticky!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    And it's fun to use too. I play with it all the time. I always use the same end product, but I use several different ingredients to get there. (whatever I find in the S&S forum!)
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

20-1 is pretty much 10 bhn add a pound of tin and go.

Boolit Buddy
    This was showed to me by one of these noble members so I'll do you the favor.
    Lead Alloy Calculators 070612.zip

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    I had something all typed up and decided to go for brevity. He's got four years and 1500+ posts on this site. He's not new. He can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by ohland View Post
    Oops, my keyboard made some errors...

Tired of beating my head trying to use 19+ BHN in a 43 Spanish. Dropped hammer on (4) 5lb ingots at 9.99 each. USPS workers are gonna pump some iron, er, lead. If this works well enough, I might want to get a better price through a bigger buy.

In order to drop @20 lbs of 19+ BHN down to @10 BHN, how much WW should I decant from my pot, and how much pure lead do I need to add?
    Is your 19 BHN alloy from using linotype or from water dropping or heat treating?

Quote Originally Posted by scottfire1957 View Post
    I had something all typed up and decided to go for brevity. He's got four years and 1500+ posts on this site. He's not new. He can find it.
    You've been here just a short time and I notice that almost all of your posts are to belittle or harass other members with valid questions and concerns. Do you have anything constructive to contribute? Is this how you get your jollies?

Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    Is your 19 BHN alloy from using linotype or from water dropping or heat treating?
    WW that is water dropped. A few ounces of tin to help mould fill. Looking at the RCBS 44-370, it has very good fill-out, no wrinkles or inclusions. It is just too hard to size at .446, and I'd take it that it would not bump up very well.

No heat treat. I have a sneaky suspicion that there would be a broomstick or rolling pin in the very near future if I tried to HT in the oven...

Odd, looking at the excel, it says "For example, WW alloy can go from 12 up to 18."

Can anyone confirm that water drop does that? I thought water drop didn't do too much, compared to heat treat...
    Last edited by ohland; 05-27-2015 at 08:37 PM.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Saw it, in this age of Java and all, is there is no web based form?

So who wants to verify this has no malware macros?

I live for the edge... Me and Triple X....

Otay, panky, WW is guestimated at 11.5 BHN, which if by itself, might be soft enough without water drop.

Hmm, 15 lbs pure lead and 5lbs WW is 9.2 BHN

Earlier this evening, I sent a note to Behr Metals in Rockford, they claim they have
    99%+ Lead Ingot
    6/2 Bullet Alloy
    8/2 Bullet Alloy
    20:1 Cowboy Lead
    Antimonial (Hard) Lead

If I can score on some 20:1, I can use WW to add some backbone if needed. A nice 30 minute drive under normal circumstances, but WI is expanding our intersection and diddling about with making a six lane from the IL state line, I don't know how far north. I can insinuate, penetrate, operate, and extirpate in under an hour and a half. But I want to czech out the Behr Den... Maybe swing by if Aunt Mary's Kitchen is still open.
    Last edited by ohland; 05-27-2015 at 09:04 PM.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master
    Actually, no. I've read and learned so much in such a short time on this site, and it is SO EASY!

There is at least one stickie about why people won't do well here, and the jist is they don't bother to read or search. A STICKIE!

ALLOY CALCULATOR. How difficult is that?

I posted about, then apologized, for saying folks are simply too lazy. I may have to rethink that apology. This OP has 1500+posts, in mutiple forums. 4 years. Surely he can find a stickie.

Or, am I wrong?

WW that is water dropped. A few ounces of tin to help mould fill. Looking at the RCBS 44-370, it has very good fill-out, no wrinkles or inclusions. It is just too hard to size at .446, and I'd take it that it would not bump up very well.

No heat treat. I have a sneaky suspicion that there would be a broomstick or rolling pin in the very near future if I tried to HT in the oven...

Odd, looking at the excel, it says "For example, WW alloy can go from 12 up to 18."

Can anyone confirm that water drop does that? I thought water drop didn't do too much, compared to heat treat...
    My COWW's run 11 to 12 BHN. I've never water dropped but, would expect about what you're getting for BHN. So, how fast do you want to run your boolits at?

Boolit Master
    Saw it, in this age of Java and all, is there is no web based form?

So who wants to verify this has no malware macros?

I live for the edge... Me and Triple X....

Otay, panky, WW is guestimated at 11.5 BHN, which if by itself, might be soft enough without water drop.

Hmm, 15 lbs pure lead and 5lbs WW is 9.2 BHN

Earlier this evening, I sent a note to Behr Metals in Rockford, they claim they have
    99%+ Lead Ingot
    6/2 Bullet Alloy
    8/2 Bullet Alloy
    20:1 Cowboy Lead
    Antimonial (Hard) Lead

If I can score on some 20:1, I can use WW to add some backbone if needed. A nice 30 minute drive under normal circumstances, but WI is expanding our intersection and diddling about with making a six lane from the IL state line, I don't know how far north. I can insinuate, penetrate, operate, and extirpate in under an hour and a half. But I want to czech out the Behr Den... Maybe swing by if Aunt Mary's Kitchen is still open.
    Sorry, but people all over this site use the calculator. You could search the site for problems with it but it was created by a site member of good standing. I have not seen one review that said anything about anything "bad" about the calculator.

And "Otay, 'Panky!" is good! Eddie Murphy!

Quote Originally Posted by scottfire1957 View Post
    Actually, no. I've read and learned so much in such a short time on this site, and it is SO EASY!

There is at least one stickie about why people won't do well here, and the jist is they don't bother to read or search. A STICKIE!

ALLOY CALCULATOR. How difficult is that?

I posted about, then apologized, for saying folks are simply too lazy. I may have to rethink that apology. This OP has 1500+posts, in mutiple forums. 4 years. Surely he can find a stickie.

Or, am I wrong?
    No, you're not wrong...you're outright disrespectful and rude. The OP could be experiencing computer glitches with the calculators, I know I have. Some of us older guys didn't grow up using computers and it's a second language for us. Navigating a calculator can be daunting.

My COWW's run 11 to 12 BHN. I've never water dropped but, would expect about what you're getting for BHN. So, how fast do you want to run your boolits at?
    Well, this slow stuff is sorta new to me, I cast for 357 Max (heavenly RCBS 357-180-SIL!!!), 7-30, 6.8 SPC, and some of the very shapely RCBS 32-170-FN (you know you want some...). Old retrobate has been having a beech of a time with his 32-40, perhaps WW dropped onto a towel will give me soft boolits... The WW, water drop boolits I've been casting for his 32-40 have been tipping with what I consider moderate loads (sized to .321, .323, and now .322)... OR has reduced his loads, and the boolits are mostly going through straight, but they are not happy.

4227, been lowering under 14 grains, sized to .322, GC. These boolits will be well under 1400 fps.

43 Spanish, they will be sized to @ .439 (when my H&I arrives), OR will be shooting black, I _assume_ this will be @ 1200fps... Dunno.

The 7-30 likes 285129, or was that 287448? over 8.5 gr Unique...
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Try an easy 50/50 mix. 50% COWW's+2% tin added to 50% pure lead. That should give you about 10 BHN with good mold fill out. An added bonus is that if you decide to water drop, you'll get about 14-16 BHN.

Boolit Master
    No, you're not wrong...you're outright disrespectful and rude. The OP could be experiencing computer glitches with the calculators, I know I have. Some of us older guys didn't grow up using computers and it's a second language for us. Navigating a calculator can be daunting.
    Ok. Blunt, frank for sure. Can be construed as rude. OP asks a computer literate question, so I'm guessing he knows a thing or two.

Boolit Master
    Well, this slow stuff is sorta new to me, I cast for 357 Max (heavenly RCBS 357-180-SIL!!!), 7-30, 6.8 SPC, and some of the very shapely RCBS 32-170-FN (you know you want some...). Old retrobate has been having a beech of a time with his 32-40, perhaps WW dropped onto a towel will give me soft boolits... The WW, water drop boolits I've been casting for his 32-40 have been tipping with what I consider moderate loads (sized to .321, .323, and now .322)... OR has reduced his loads, and the boolits are mostly going through straight, but they are not happy.

4227, been lowering under 14 grains, sized to .322, GC. These boolits will be well under 1400 fps.

43 Spanish, they will be sized to @ .439 (when my H&I arrives), OR will be shooting black, I _assume_ this will be @ 1200fps... Dunno.

The 7-30 likes 285129, or was that 287448? over 8.5 gr Unique...

This OP has trolled you guys. He has massive knowledge. You fell for it.

Boolit Master

Yes water dropping will harden up your ww bullets. I would try dropping them on a soft towel and see if you get success since you probably have a lot of that alloy.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master

I have had Scottfire1957 on Ignore since soon after he joined and for good reason. Judging by your response to him, he is still at it. With the ignore feature one never has to read someone's vitriol ever again.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast