Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Ruger Model 77/357 Feedback

Ruger Model 77/357 Feedback

I'm seriously considering purchasing a Ruger Model 77-357 bolt action rifle for scope mounted target shooting. I'd like to get feedback from anyone who shoots this rifle on its good and bad qualities. The alternative would be to purchase another Marlin 1894C 357 carbine.

Boolit Bub
    I bought one of these last year, figured it would be a great starting center fire rifle for my nephew ( 12 ). I changed the front sight ( taller ) and installed a peep on the back, per the explanation on the Major Pandemic website. Works pretty good for old eyes. I used 357 brass, 17.0 grains of H-110 and a 160 gr WFN bullet, think it was gas checked. Don't know the velocity but I kept two groups, 5 shot each, 50 yards from a rest, both groups under 1". I believe most folks will find my powder charge on the high side, YMMV. But I went to the trouble of fire lapping the barrel and use a cast bullet, no signs of pressure that I can see. Oh, and I also put a .001" shim in the bolt to take up some of the slack several web sites said was responsible for changing headspace from shot to shot.
    I love the gun, light, handy, pretty accurate. I have the rings but am very reluctant to put a scope on it, might not be what I intended in a light, handy and easy to pack rifle.
    I've had my fling with levers in the past ( 45/70, 444, 44 Mag, 30 Rem, 357 Mag ) but the little Ruger is one sweet piece of hardware I may not be sending off to the nephew as soon as I originally thought.

Boolit Master

I have one and like it, just haven't shot it as much I planned to. For target shooting you'll probably need to work on the trigger. I know mine is "industrial" grade, to put it kindly.

Pluses are handling and durability. I like the feel much more than a Marlin 1894. I've only shot the lee 125 gn RF with trailboss resulting in about 4" groups at 75 yards. I'm sure it will be much better with tinkering and the right load combination. Heavier boolits are said to work best. I got some bolt shims but have not installed them yet. The trigger is a little heavy but in the scheme of things I can live with it. (there are lots worse out there). Altheating on this site has these pretty much worked out and can offer some sound advice.

They are a stack of fun.

It's a great rifle for plinking or hunting. Nice light carrying rifle with enough oomph to take deer out to 125 Yds in the right hands. You can shoot it real cheap if your casting your own. I'm using the NOE 360-180 for all my plinking and deer hunting. The only difference is I weigh all my hunting boolits, plinkers come straight out of the can. Push them at about 1550 fps foe best accuracy. Lap the barrel to get the tooling marks out, shim the bolt and you will fall in love with that rifle. The only down size is you have to reload more often as once you start shooting it you don't want to put it down and neither will your friends. A Leupold 2-7x scope sets atop mine, making marbles disappear at 50 yards, golf balls at 100 and 4" gongs at 150. You won't regret buying one.

Banned
    I am also thinking about buying one of these rifles. What about the case bulge problem that I've read about?

Apparently the case is not supported enough and the base can bulge making it unsafe to reload.

Any experience there?

Thanks in advance,

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master
    I've had mine for several years now and really like it. I use it as a field rifle and have it set up with receiver sights which makes for really easy carrying. I redid the trigger spring and did some polishing and now it has a crisp 3# pull. I sanded and polished the sides of the magazine so it drops out when needed instead of sticking. I replaced the magazine release with one made for the 77/22 which I modified a bit. I did that because I could never find the release without looking. I have never noticed any case-bulging issues. I use the NOE version of the 358477GC and easily get 1800fps with H110. This gets me 3" at 100 yds which is plenty good for my needs.
    Loren

Boolit Master
    Understand the attraction of a .357/.38 Carbine, but suggest taking a quick look at the CZ 527 Carbine in the Russian cartridge. About the same size/weight as the Ruger but comes with a single set trigger and a member here posts targets with 3 or 5 holes touching at 100 yards using boolits cast out of a Lee mold.

Boolit Master

Mine has a 6x Weaver. It handles great. Very slick action. Accuracy is dismal. 4 to 6 inches at 50 yards.
    I have seen no sign of the reported case bulge.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Bub
    I have not experienced any brass bulge problem. I'm going to have to try the 180's, loss of some velocity but more sectional density if using on deer / hogs. Williamwaco, have you tried using 359 or even 360 diameter bullets to see if the accuracy improves ? I'd also agree with heavier more likely to be more accurate comment made above.

Boolit Master

I shoot everything from 105 Grain Lee SWC in 38 Special cases to 180 Grain Milhec HP's in max loads of 2400 in .357 cases. Everything is sized .359, and is reliably 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. I have a 1894 Marlin .357 it is accurate as well but I use the Ruger 9 out of 10 times.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    I have one in 44 Mag, shoot it a lot, fun to hit small wild hogs, they generally fall down not even a few steps. My wife likes to shot it also, kicks a little, Shoot powder coated cast bullets with a cola Can gas check on a plain base bullet cast with a Magma mold.

I picked up one of these sweet bolt guns late last year iirc, I paired it up with a 5" GP100 for all around versatility. It has been the focus of almost all my shooting and testing so far this year. It's rare something gets this much attention from me for so long. I've experimented with shot loads, .38 Short colt loads loaded with 2.0gr of red dot under a 125gr mihec HP (700fps...effecient and accurate and feeds from the magazine if you load no more than 3). Lots of 75gr and 148gr wadcutters loaded with all sorts of bullseye loads. Moving up to my staple 158gr LEE SWC and 4.2gr of red dot. Then to heavy .357 125gr loads that exit the muzzle a little over 2000fps just to see what the gun will handle although accuracy suffers.

Heavier bullets do seem to be working better than the light ones, twist is 1:16. I have a 173gr keith I've been loading and am waiting on mihec 225gr keith with HP options. There are a few guys who run even heavier bullets through theirs, and I know of at least one guy online that suppressed his (something I would like to do someday if I can figure out how to keep the irons).

I installed a Williams sight on mine, I hated the look of the NECG and the other one that mounts to the scope rail (can't think of the name off the top of my head). I put a scope on mine for testing and to have one semi zeroed in if I ever take it afield as a scope can extend hunting time in low light. The bonus with the williams is I can leave it in place, run it all the way down and put the scope on. I purchased 3 spare 5 round magazines for my rifle and they fall right out no issues, I eventually plan on pulling them apart and cleaning them up internally as I do have feed issues from time to time. This gun is pure fun to shoot, I wish I had this when I was in high school and I wouldn't have purchased half the guns I have now thinking I needed them. This gun for my neck of the woods is pretty much a do-all. I have loads going from 700fps up to 2000fps not super impressed with accuracy yet but I'm still working out sights on it, I purchased a taller front sight since the new Williams allows me greater adjustability.

http://wonderwolfs.blogspot.com/2015...lation-on.html

http://wonderwolfs.blogspot.com/2014...m-carbine.html

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/08/27...urvival-rifle/

photo before I installed the sight

They are expensive to buy new but really its worth it, I can load .38 way cheaper than .22lr is going for these days and the versatility of the carbine is so great I don't think we have even begun to scratch the surface with what all it can do. Given a slower powder like 2400 the extra barrel length really shines, In my tests you don't gain that much with red dot or bullseye but you sure can shoot all day and not break the bank.

No case bulging problems here. Bolt shims are not on my radar yet but bedding the stock or tuning it might be in order if I can't get groups to shrink.
    Last edited by wonderwolf; 05-30-2015 at 11:52 PM.
    My firearms project blog