Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acquired a Sheridan Blue Streak from a friend(1964)

Boolit Master

Acquired a Sheridan Blue Streak from a friend(1964)

I remember these as a kid, but I never saw one that looked as nice as this. They got used, and abused over the years. This one was a favor from a friend, and I am very appreciative. Thank you George. It does need the pins for the front hand-guard, and a valve rebuild, but I think it will be worth it. I was recommended to Ollie Damons for the repairs in Portland, but if any of you have a suggestion I am all ears. Some 51 year old air-gun photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20150526_202433.jpg   IMG_20150526_202415.jpg   IMG_20150526_202341.jpg  

Simply elegant. Get her fixed and give detailed range report!
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    You can get valve replacement kits from Bryan and Associates http://www.airgunsbna.com I rebuilt the innards of my Silver Streak with one and it works like new now.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    These rifles are the bomb! Get it rebuilt or do it yourself and it'll last another 30+ years. I love mine!!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    I have been doing some reading and it should not be hard to fix. I took it down to the piston inside, but my homemade tool wont make those threads budge on the valve body.It is a hex driver body drilled out,and ground on the 4 sides to fit the square hole. I am soaking in some kroil on the valve body threads to see it that gets that dried up stuff in there loose. I am going to go ahead and do a valve kit, and new pump cup since I have it apart. All of the rubber is hard as a rock on this thing, and the grease is all dry and crusty. It appears this is the first time it has been apart. Kinda makes me feel like a kid at Christmas again.These things are neat.

I still have mine from the mid 70's, recently needed a stock refinish, and an o-ring but otherwise still going strong.

In my opinion, given today's high .22lr prices, just makes an adjustable power air rifle like the Sheridan shine even more.
    Stock up on ammo, it isn't likely to get cheaper. And that 8-10$ gets you 500 rounds not 50. Accurate, dependable, over 40 years your wife may leave you, your dog might die, your truck rust away 2-3 times. But a drop of oil every 5 years or so and that Sheridan will be with you for the long haul.

Boolit Master

My dad gave me his; a great pellet rifle with a sentimental attachment! As nice as anything made today, see them from time to time at gun shows in the $150 range for a working example. Rebuild it and you won't be disappointed!!!

Boolit Master
    Nagantguy, Only able to find 1 1964 for sale at the moment that is non working. Guy has it up on ebay and started it out at $.99 cents. It is not .99 cents anymore. I am curious how much it will go for, and he kind of did not know what he had and listed it wrong so I sent him a message to get more details. He was able to give me the number on the receiver that how I know the year. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261900545059...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

From my few days of researching these things they go for more than a new one even in non working condition. Might just be more people following Ghosthawks train of though on the .22, and availability. There are examples going for as much as $300 now. That almost puts them back online to the value of the dollar when they were new, and the price they were then. Someone posted on an airgun forum that $35 back then would be the equivalent of $250+ today. I guess the pre 66' ones are more sought after due to them being Sheridan built vs Beeman in later years, then Crossman. I think this one will be in the family for a while.
    Last edited by xacex; 05-28-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Boolit Master

May want to try heating the area where the trreads are with a hair dryer.

If it won't budge hot, then it will "suck" the Kroil down better as it cools.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Wow, that one on ebay non working is up to 275$. I did get the plug out, but could not find a bolt, or tap with the 9/32x 32 pitch that I need to grab it out. I though you could push it out from the other side, but not so in the old ones. Looks like I need to order a kit. There is one fella on ebay that has the kit with lead seals. Worth it over the nylon seal? He wants a min of 40$ for his kit, and the other place wants 33$ shipped for theirs.

Boolit Master
    After much internal debate whether or not I wanted to tackle this rebuild or hand it over to a professional I ordered a kit to rebuild it. So glad I did! Best $33 I have spent in a while. She is alive! I was able to save the lead seal, but I was not to worried because I found some for cheap on ebay. I did not want to use the nylon one that comes in the kit now. I have heard to many stories about them not sealing good. I did have to take the trigger off once to tighten it down on the valve but I was being judicious on my tension because I did not want to ruin the lead seal by smashing it down to tight. She hold 1 pump of air overnight so far so I think it is good. The only place in town I was able to find pellets was Big 5. They have a few tins, but want almost $15 a tin. Found them for less online shipped to the door so I will go that route. Had to adjust the windage, but once that was done she makes one nice round group in the center of the target. I put a Little high-vis nail polish on the front sight blade, and she is good to go. Any recommendation on pellets? The Benjamin 14.3 grain cylindrical seem to work great, but if there is something else I should be trying let me know.

Boolit Master
    A great rifle. I bought one new in '67 and shot it many thousands of times. It got so I just knew where it would hit. Used to freak everybody out by shooting dragon flys off cattails At about 50 feet. Wish I still had it. I'm currently working on a Crossman 1400 .22 and a Benjamin .177 both pump ups. Both in very nice condition. Bought them about 25 yrs ago to rebuild.

I sent my 1973 silver streak in for rebuild two years ago. Shoots better than it did new.
    I did not log whom I sent it to, but they did a killer job, just ask the starlings on my yard
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

For modern pellets I think the Benjamin's are about as good as you are going to get.

The old yellow box "Trashcan" pellets are still out there, but tend to be pricey.

I was smart a year and a half ago and stocked up on pellets. Still sitting on 2500 for the Sheridan, maybe 1100 for my pair of Crossman 1322's. (Much like a mini sheridan, it is a pistol but buy the right kit and it comes with a shoulder stock)

Nothing better in the whole world for killing pest's around the house than a Sheridan.
    With 3-4 pumps it will put a pellet right between the eyes of a cottontail at 40 to 50 yards.

Boolit Buddy
    If you're on Facebook look up the group called "Airgun chat and B/S" you should get more help there as well.
    The best airgun smith I know of is Tim @ Mac 1 Airguns. He can put new seals into that Benjamin that will put it on the power level of a .22LR.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustyleee View Post
    If you're on Facebook look up the group called "Airgun chat and B/S" you should get more help there as well.
    The best airgun smith I know of is Tim @ Mac 1 Airguns. He can put new seals into that Benjamin that will put it on the power level of a .22LR.
    I saw he offers a power upgrade of some sorts. Not much info on it on his web site. He makes a nice scope mount that does not seem to cause the barrel separation I have seen with the Benjamin ones. Thanks for the facebook group I might have to check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    For modern pellets I think the Benjamin's are about as good as you are going to get.

The old yellow box "Trashcan" pellets are still out there, but tend to be pricey.

I was smart a year and a half ago and stocked up on pellets. Still sitting on 2500 for the Sheridan, maybe 1100 for my pair of Crossman 1322's. (Much like a mini sheridan, it is a pistol but buy the right kit and it comes with a shoulder stock)

Nothing better in the whole world for killing pest's around the house than a Sheridan.
    With 3-4 pumps it will put a pellet right between the eyes of a cottontail at 40 to 50 yards.
    From what I hear, and what I have in hand Benjamin went back to the old style "trash can" pellets that they now sell in tins. They have a dish like a wasp waste like the old ones instead of a straight wall. Seem to work. I have heard the Diablo exact pellets do well in these guns too.

I left 4 pumps in it last night, and it still held air so it looks like I may have been successful in my rebuild.

Boolit Master
    Tim at Mac 1 can be highly recommended. He does do a "steroid" modification or can simply repair. You have an older model that has more robust pump/lever than some of the new stuff and simply re-sealing will give you a very fine airgun. Pyramid Air sells pellets reasonably.

Boolit Mold

Not Beeman

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    Nagantguy, Only able to find 1 1964 for sale at the moment that is non working. Guy has it up on ebay and started it out at $.99 cents. It is not .99 cents anymore. I am curious how much it will go for, and he kind of did not know what he had and listed it wrong so I sent him a message to get more details. He was able to give me the number on the receiver that how I know the year. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261900545059...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

From my few days of researching these things they go for more than a new one even in non working condition. Might just be more people following Ghosthawks train of though on the .22, and availability. There are examples going for as much as $300 now. That almost puts them back online to the value of the dollar when they were new, and the price they were then. Someone posted on an airgun forum that $35 back then would be the equivalent of $250+ today. I guess the pre 66' ones are more sought after due to them being Sheridan built vs Beeman in later years, then Crossman. I think this one will be in the family for a while.
    Beeman never owned Sheridan. First it was Sheridan, then Benjamin bought them in the 70s and Crosman bought them in the 80s (maybe it 80s and then 90s, don't remember for sure)

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    I sent my 1973 silver streak in for rebuild two years ago. Shoots better than it did new.
    I did not log whom I sent it to, but they did a killer job, just ask the starlings on my yard
    3-4 pumps killing a rabbit at 150 feet? awww come on. I hunt rabbits every day with a pellet gun.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    I saw he offers a power upgrade of some sorts. Not much info on it on his web site. He makes a nice scope mount that does not seem to cause the barrel separation I have seen with the Benjamin ones. Thanks for the facebook group I might have to check that out.

From what I hear, and what I have in hand Benjamin went back to the old style "trash can" pellets that they now sell in tins. They have a dish like a wasp waste like the old ones instead of a straight wall. Seem to work. I have heard the Diablo exact pellets do well in these guns too.

I left 4 pumps in it last night, and it still held air so it looks like I may have been successful in my rebuild.

I don't think anyone makes straight wall pellets anymore, do they? I haven't seen any. Every one I can find to buy have an hour-glass figure. That's what makes the skirt work properly. I have some of the original 1964 pellets for my Sheridan and they are straight wall, but I can't find them anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast