RepackboxWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Screwed by Taurus

Boolit Bub

Screwed by Taurus

I bought a .41 Magnum Raging Bull used it had some play in the cylinder so I sent it back to the Factory to get it worked on here is the problem. They called and said the wear was from abuse wouldn't say what someone would have to do to wear it in this fashion. I knew the old man I bought the gun from he doesn't abuse anything so I wanted the gun back they said they wouldn't send it back and if they did they would destroy it so it could not be put back together. They offered to let me by a gun at cost in return for my gun ,but what happens to the $650.00 dollar I have in the gun.

Boolit Man
    I would tell them to replace it for free or send it back as is or you will turn the matter over to an attorney. I do not see how they could destroy your revolver.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

wow. Just wow.

If it were me and I didn't live in marxist NY, I would file a complaint with the State Attorney General.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    That is why I always take stuff like that to a trusted LOCAL gun smith. To heck with mfg warranty! Worth less than the paper they are written on. A local smith probably could have fixed it for a hundred bucks.

Boolit Master

As a former dealer I dropped Taurus many years ago due to suckey warranty service. I would never recommended any one to buy from them.

You said that you sent it in to be worked on. I don't understand why they couldn't work on the problem and make it acceptable to them. Instead of just saying "Nope you are SOL."

Boolit Master
    It's a bluff. Call it. Tell them to send it back or you will be contacting your states attorney general and the attorney general of the state they are located in. They have no more right to take your personal property than you do to take someone else's belongings. They also have no right to destroy it.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master
    Sure sorry to hear of your difficulties. It seems that in the past 20 to 30 years, manufacturers have learned how to write a "lifetime limited warranty" that is followed by paragraph after paragraph of fine print in which are buried exclusions which purposely render the warranty useless.
    Mostly what they will do, as in your situation, is specify damage due to abuse as voiding or not covered by the warranty and follow that with language that says that they have the right to determine what is or is not damage caused by abuse.

Another trick is to exclude from coverage, any part that costs more to replace than what typical shipping might cost you the consumer to ship it back for the needed repairs.

When it come to firearms, I'm fortunate to have the tooling, machinery and knowledge to fabricate nearly any part likely to be needed on any of my firearms. All other products, I read the warranty carefully and on top of that try and buy through a retailer who has a solid reputation for honoring return policies.

Recently bought about $4,500 worth of kitchen and laundry appliances from Costco. On top of being a thousand dollars cheaper than anyone else, they automatically and at no extra charge add an additional year to the manufacturers warranty; effectively doubling the warranty.

When buying electronics, I buy through Amazon or locally.

As mrvmax said, I think I would send a firmly worded letter threatening to turn the matter over to your attorney if the firearm is not returned forthwith.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

pretty much agree with the above. call and speak to them and lay out the options, repair the gun, rpelace the gun, or return it. failure to do so will result in theft charges and a small claims lawsuit. dont roll over to their BS!

I don't know if it would be simular but suppose you take your car to the dealer to have the brakes fixed. They find a cracked brake rotor on it, now the liability come to play here. You don't have the money to fix it or they don't have the parts, but they can't let the car leave cause of the danger in an accident happening from the cracked rotor. So they must hold the car just do to liability envolved. Not saying this is what it is about but most likely. I wonder if they have your pistol repair mixed up with someone elses? Have had that happen to me before also. A nice letter from an att. will probably get it back.

CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

nobody can hold your property without your permission, dealership or gun maker. if they do it is theft!

Boolit Buddy

That sucks. They played a paperwork game for a rebate with us a few years ago. . They waited till well after deadline to say it had to be resent before deadline with all info requested. They had every single piece of info they required for rebate.
    Could never get a response from them about it either. Haven't bought anything under any of their brands since.

Boolit Master
    I've seen several posts these last few months that made me think that just maybe Taurus was getting their stuff back in gear and fixing their old ways, but by the sound of things, they haven't changed a thing. Sorry it took your troubles to prove that. I do agree with the others above though. They blow smoke about how great their "lifetime warranty" is, threaten them with a lawyer and see if maybe you can get them to honor their promise by holding their feet to the fire a bit.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The best thing to do is to avoid Taurus firearms, they have a long sad history of poor quality.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    The best thing to do is to avoid Taurus firearms, they have a long sad history of poor quality.
    Now those are definitely some words of wisdom there, Waksupi!
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leeggen View Post
    I don't know if it would be simular but suppose you take your car to the dealer to have the brakes fixed. They find a cracked brake rotor on it, now the liability come to play here. You don't have the money to fix it or they don't have the parts, but they can't let the car leave cause of the danger in an accident happening from the cracked rotor. So they must hold the car just do to liability envolved. Not saying this is what it is about but most likely. I wonder if they have your pistol repair mixed up with someone elses? Have had that happen to me before also. A nice letter from an att. will probably get it back.

CD
    They still can't just keep something that doesn't belong to them, what they can do is have you sign a release of liability stating that they have warned you about blah blah before they give your property back. Been there done that.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    Abuse? what abuse? continually placing little explosive devices in it and shooting them out? What exactly was it designed for, a hammer? If you want to see abuse, you should see my 50 year old 870 that spent most of its life on a salt water marsh after ducks. THAT thing has seen some serious abuse, especially when steel shot first came into play. Never a hitch and still always reliable. (and still my favorite shotgun, even though I have 2 more newer 870's, a slugger and a newer screw choke that just never seems to get used)

Banned
    I just talked to Taurus customer service about a minor issue my gun was having. They took care of me and are paying the shipping so they can repair it free of charge. Sorry to hear about your experience.

Banned
    My association with Taurus products goes back many years and I've seen good and bad from that company in terms of quality. Due to their hit & miss quality I am no longer willing to play in their sandbox.

Boolit Master
    There are several companies reinterpreting your purchase of an item to mean you are only buying the use of the product and not the product itself. I hope Taurus is not trying to head down this path.