MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smelting bothering neighbors ?

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

A bunch of you guys need to move. Why, I bet y'all can't even pee off your front porch.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    A bunch of you guys need to move. Why, I bet y'all can't even pee off your front porch.
    Yeah, but you can't have take out Chinese in 10 minutes either. Everybody makes choices.

Boolit Master
    Lord knows I'm tryin!

The trick is not to get caught. It must be illegal to shoot Tree Rats off my deck but so far nobody's noticed

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I do my smelting outside, either on a Coleman stove or with a propane weed burner- depending how much I plan on smelting. So all the smoke stays outside. Neighbors have never complained other than to make sure everything is ok with all the smoke which was considerate of them, actually.

I do get a little smoke when making the bullets in the basement from the flux, but a window with an exhaust fan fitted takes care of that. Again, no complaints.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by looseprojectile View Post
    in Tacoma Washington today. The landlord rented a house to a family that he, the landlord lived in for 2 or 3 decades and all that time he allegedly smelted a large amount of lead on that site. He said it was his HOBBY. The state tested the dirt and found as much as 2300 PPM lead on site.
    I understand what you're saying about tyrannical govt officials, but I think it's a good idea to keep your casting and smelting areas cleaned up.

I sweep up after every smelting or casting session and recyle all the lead flakes into the smelter. I would rather do this than risk contaminating my work area and adjacent yard. It's worth it for me and it only takes 5 min or so.

I think to get 2300ppm Pb in the yard, this guy was pretty careless.
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms." (Federalist Paper #46) - James Madison

Heard on the street about our current POTUS: he is inebriated by the eloquence of his own verbosity...

Boolit Master

I smelt and cast in my carport. Sometimes it stinks and is smoky. I use a turkey fryer and cast iron pot. My neighbor asked my darling wife what I was doing hunched over the turkey fryer. Well she says, he's casting bullets.(I have told the missus to not tell anyone) Well the neighbor said that her and her Dad used to melt lead and cast bullets all the time! Cool! now if I can try to sequester some of the old casting gear

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonk View Post
    I do my smelting outside, either on a Coleman stove or with a propane weed burner- depending how much I plan on smelting. So all the smoke stays outside. Neighbors have never complained other than to make sure everything is ok with all the smoke which was considerate of them, actually.

I do get a little smoke when making the bullets in the basement from the flux, but a window with an exhaust fan fitted takes care of that. Again, no complaints.
    I wish I had neighbors like that!
    True story: A couple of years ago, late spring, early morning, my daughter threw a couple of pizza boxes into the fireplace to take the chill out of the room. Neighbor called the fire dept. to report smoke coming from the chimney.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by J
    Neighbor called the fire dept. to report smoke coming from the chimney.

Hhmmm . . . Did anyone think to ask the neighbor just what is it that should come out of a chimney?
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I live in CA and do a fair amount of casting. I don't smelt on a regular basis and as long as I'm careful with fumes/smoke it's not been an issue.

I have used Marvlux as a flux and it does not make fumes or smoke which is a large advantage sadly it does corrode the pot up so I don't use it in my casting pot.

Bought some stuff from Art Green to flux with, it's great, you can actually watch it do it's thing on top of the melt, it isn't corrosive but it does smoke.

I have a fireplace that has access inside and outside I cast in that and the smoke goes right up the chimney. it's a rare day that I actually see smoke at the top of the stack.

Boolit Master
    It helps if the neighbors think you are too crazy to mess with.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Leftoverdj View Post
    It helps if the neighbors think you are too crazy to mess with.
    hehe, I bet it would.
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    I'm with you front porch, back porch, side yard it don't matter. And as far as smelting every one around here has guns and use them. If they see me out they just wave and ask for me to make them some.

Jerry

Boolit Man
    I did it the easy way I moved to a place where I don't have any neighbors.

Randy, The Birddog.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    I live SW of one of the nations largest feed yards 15 miles and the prevailing wind is from the SW what little smoke and order I generate doesn't even register on the scale. What is that smell said the tourist to the Texan "MONEY" says he.

I always got a kick out of that expression. If they aren't your cows, that isn't money you're smelling. It's just cow s**t.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12