Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Dry Tumble Rifle bullets

Dry Tumble Rifle bullets

So I'm ready to lube my first ever bullet and have about talked myself out of pan lubing and into BBDT. I've only seen on here folks doing pistol bullets that don't have issue standing upright. Have any of you been doing rifle bullets with this method? What are you using to set them on in the oven, etc to keep them upright? I've seen the boards with drilled holes used for spray coating but that seems a bit difficult to use with a bullet that has already been coated. Also gas check before or after coating? I am understanding GC'ing may not be needed, however, I'd be shooting a GC bullet sans GC.

Look for "fender washers" at Lowes or Home Depot. Set them on your tray and put foil on top. Punch your boolits through the foil and into holes of washers. The fender washers are wider than regular washers. You can glue them down if you wish, just find an adhesive that will withstand the heat.

Hint: Take a boolit (or three) with you to check hole size and fit.

I apply gas checks after powder coating. At the same time I size, I install gas check.

Hope this helps,

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Thanks Slim. It never ceases to amaze me at the amount of knowledge that we have here and that it readily shared for the betterment of all. Appreciated very much.

Ever tried the GC before powder coating?

Boolit Master

Some have done the GC before the powder coat. I'd make sure the sizing die is cleaned well to make sure no lube residue gets in the way of adhesion, but it'll work.

You could just do rifle boolits laying down on mesh hardware cloth. People have also drilled up an old oven pan or piece of sheet metal.

I haven't had much luck with powdercoated rifle boolits. The slight increase in diameter causes a chambering issue with most of my boolit design and gun combos.

I just got the Ranch Dog 311-165 from NOE. I was hoping to powder coat those, but that was a no go for the same reason. I might be able to seat slightly deeper and get away with it, but chances are I'll be using Hi-Tek coating instead.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I use fender washers all the time for ESPC on 30 cal's. Gas Check AFTER baking. For BBDT....a little trickier! You have to pick the things up with hemostats, get them in the fender washers (underneath a sheet of NSAF of course!!) and push them in..........all while not messing up the powder! Can be a bit tricky.

I shoot 30-30 and 30-06 ------- cast and PC'd with Cu GC's. Perfectly good for my needs. I do NOT hunt living things.

For 223's I BBDT and dump them on 1/4" hardware cloth. Minimal lay marks. Those little pills are a PITA.

banger

I stand'em up just like pistol bullets with hemostats. Have to be careful to prevent domino effect.
    i size and check at same time.

Boolit Master
    For the hp boolits I put the gc on, and put them on my pin jig after coating. For non-hp boolits I just toss them on non stick or parchment paper however they lay, and make sure none are touching. Big fat boolits I set up like the 50's, for 30's they just get tossed on the pan. 22's are a problem because there may be a small flat spot on them, but on a little boolit it makes a difference. I have a jig with holes in it, but it does not get used anymore. I did not see any difference in accuracy vs the ones that get baked laying down.