Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Need original Roman Meal Hot Cereal Recipe

Boolit Grand Master

Need original Roman Meal Hot Cereal Recipe

Anyone ever have Roman Meal hot cereal??

I'm looking for a recipe to make this in bulk. It had rolled rye flakes, cracked wheat flakes, rolled oats, barley and flax seed.
    The new Roman Meal is not the same as the old version.
    There is a Bobs Red Mill cereal that is supposed to be similar, but not qhite the same. I can bay the ingredients in bulk and make my own if I have a recipe.

Thanks Folks!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Never even heard of it, now I'm interested tho. Sounds different than the sugar overload that's currently a staple on top o the fridge!
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Grand Master
    It sticks with you. Rye is quite high in fiber, so you feel full longer. There was a hint of sugar in it that is all.
    Still looking. Gonna ask at the natural food co-op.
    I'm surprised it isn't on line.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

http://www.romanmeal.com/products_cereal.aspx, The Romanmeal site lists some info about it.

Moderator Emeritus

I ate a ton of it growing up but have no idea what was in it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Organic rolled rye flakes $0.99 a pound
    Organic regular rolled oats $1.29 a pound
    Organic rolled barley $2.19 a pound
    Organic oat bran $1.89 a pound

I mixed up a cup-and-a-half of the first three ingredients and a big half cup of oat bran to start. I'll add some flax seed to experiment.
    So far so good. No wheat products. I take 3/4 cup in a baggie and add hot water to cover it. I then heat it in the microwave in a bowl.
    Gotta stop after fifteen second to let the cereal settle, then heat again. Otherwise it'll overflow the bowl.

This held me for almost three and a half hours with no hunger. Full of fiber. I had a cup of coffee and a large glass of water with it.
    For about $4.50, you can make a pile of this stuff. You could add wheat flakes if you wanted, I chose not to.

I added some thick organic oats to the batch this morning. The thick oats don't get as done as the other mix, but adds bulk.
    Gonna tweak it but so far so good.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Moderator Emeritus

I remember it having a bit of brown sugar taste... it wasn't sweet just a little hint of the molasses to it.

Boolit Master

Had Roman Meal bread as a kid, never knew they made cereals. Tim

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Your recipe sounds very close to what I ate as a kid. It's also very good seasoned with a bit of salt, garlic, oregano and olive oil added as a binder, formed into patties and browned in a hot skillet, served as as meat substitute when there wasn't any due to WW2 rationing. Gravy made with a bit of lard, made into a roux with flour and seasoned with a bouillon cube and a bit of pepper. Lord Wolton would approve!

https://1940sexperiment.wordpress.co...rtime-recipes/
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Bookmarked Outpost75.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Master
    so far I am very very interested in this thread.... I am really considering doing this myself. Another question I had, you mentioned adding flax seed. Are you going to add the seed, or the meal?

Thanks

Richard
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master
    It sounds good, if it weren't for the oats I would try it.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodOlBoy View Post
    so far I am very very interested in this thread.... I am really considering doing this myself. Another question I had, you mentioned adding flax seed. Are you going to add the seed, or the meal?

Thanks

Richard
    My wife has a golden brown and dark reddish brow flax seed. Don't know what the difference is. I added some of the reddish brown one for contrast. The milled flax seed, meal, might cook better. High fiber. I have a coffee mill that I use exclusively for spices. I could grind up the flax seed. I might just do it to sort of 'crack' the seeds.
    Another grain you may try is quinoa, pronounced keen-wah. Inca and South Americans have been eating it for thousands of years.
    Loaded in protein and fibre. Cooks fast. It is kind of an "In Thing" so it is more money.

One needs to remember though you are adding a LOT of fiber to your diet. It stays with you which is good, but see how it sets with you. An unwelcome
    laxative effect would be a bummer. I have no hunger for about three and a half hours. Keeps me from snacking.

I've taken off 16 pounds since the end of January, but have hit the wall for the last three weeks. The nutrition lady guru told me to stick with it.
    Once your body figures out you are not starving yourself, the weight will come off again. Mild weight training, and cardio for 45 minutes. I alternate every other day.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Grand Master

The other issue for losing weight is - never eat carbs without protein. Carbs without protein tells insulin to send the energy into fat, even if your muscles are in cell starvation. Add protein and the energy is sent through out the body. Most cereal grains are very low in protein. Believe me, even if you add a little fat in the process, adding some meat will cause you to lose weight.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

bhn22
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    It sounds good, if it weren't for the oats I would try it.
    Same here. I ate oatmeal almost all my life, then one day I started reacting badly to it. I blamed GMO oats, but I tried the imported Irish oats and got a similar reaction, just nowhere near as severe.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    The other issue for losing weight is - never eat carbs without protein. Carbs without protein tells insulin to send the energy into fat, even if your muscles are in cell starvation. Add protein and the energy is sent through out the body. Most cereal grains are very low in protein. Believe me, even if you add a little fat in the process, adding some meat will cause you to lose weight.
    Protein powder.
    Mix with almond milk. at 59 years old. Losing weight is work.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Buddy

I'm really interested in this thread and watching it. I have been eating a lot of old fashioned oatmeal with raisins aapples cinnamon and almonds. Trying to eat more healthy. Losing weight isn't a big concern but if I losr 20 lbs it wouldn't hurt either. I've also heard hemp seeds have a lot of good stuff in them but word of caution if you have a job that requires drug testing they can show up as a drug. With that being said I don't use them being semi retired I work in and out of nuke plants and we get drug tested every job. Keep up the good work shiloh I am going to try your recipe with added fruits, cinnamon and a little raw honey. jroc
    My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

spstocksandgrips.com

Texan Loadmaster Model T, Lyman All American Turret, Forster Co-Ax,

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    I'm really interested in this thread and watching it. I have been eating a lot of old fashioned oatmeal with raisins aapples cinnamon and almonds. Trying to eat more healthy. Losing weight isn't a big concern but if I losr 20 lbs it wouldn't hurt either. I've also heard hemp seeds have a lot of good stuff in them but word of caution if you have a job that requires drug testing they can show up as a drug. With that being said I don't use them being semi retired I work in and out of nuke plants and we get drug tested every job. Keep up the good work shiloh I am going to try your recipe with added fruits, cinnamon and a little raw honey. jroc
    Toasted flax seeds give it a nice touch. I'm still tweaking. Thin slices of dried papaya is another option.
    When trying to lose weight, notice I didn't say dieting, copious amounts of water. The flip side is LOTS of trips to the can. This flushes out a lot of the sugars from breaking down the carbs.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

I've never ate it, but it sounds like the ingredients for a tasty beer.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    I've never ate it, but it sounds like the ingredients for a tasty beer.
    If there is anything I miss since giving up alcohol 28 years ago, it would be craft beer. This took off back in Colorado, and started about the time I quit.
    As tempting as it was, I'll never drink again.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel