RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: making slugs for slugging barrels

making slugs for slugging barrels

I had an idea the other day and before I spent time on it I wanted to run it by you to see if it is feasible.

I've been thinking of a way to make homemade slugs for checking barrels etc and thought it might be nice to cut the back of a 38 special case off, lube the inside with case lube, place it on a piece of metal and then fill it full of molten lead and finally push it out when cool.

OR

Make a contraption like a homemade cake cutter with the nail to push out the slug.

Anybody tried anything like this before?

Fishman had some slugging kits.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by AggiePharmD View Post
    place it on a piece of metal and then fill it full of molten lead
    I'm wondering how you will get something that small and light weight to sit still while you fill it with molten lead.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Well I'd plan to hold it with a pair of pliers in a gloved hand.

I guess I'm trying to determine if the lead slug will release from the inside of the brass?

Boolit Master
    Mold boolits out of pure lead. You can slightly hit them with a hammer and they will expand over bore diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by zomby woof View Post
    Mold boolits out of pure lead. You can slightly hit them with a hammer and they will expand over bore diameter.
    Probably much easier as well. Thanks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by zomby woof View Post
    This.

It might be time for me to do another run of pure lead slugs since these questions keep popping up.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    When I slugged my .30 cal rifles, I made a mold out of two flat pieces of oak. Clamped the two pieces together, and drilled two 5/16" holes, 3/4" deep, and about 1" apart. Poured molten lead into them and when it cooled, I took the clamps off. Pulled the two pieces of oak, and I had my slugs. I did taper one end of the slugs to facilitate entry into the bore.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    As often as I slug a barrel - a wood mold would probably be the best bet and quick to make or just go with the "sinker" that most folks use. For my 38s, I have several old Ideal .360 molds that I can cast soft lead in to use. Just a thought off the top of my head - it's too bad that somebody doesn't make a set of aluminum blocks that would cast a gently tapered "slug" but honestly, for the few times that a person would use it, it would probably tie up some $$ sitting on the shelf most of the time. I am surprised that someone hasn't made some molds, cast up "slugs" and sell them in the various sizes needed to slug different calibers. That would be a good project for someone who is retired and has the machines to do it. But then . . . the "old sinker method" is fairly cheap as well.

Boolit Master

I've used sacrificial cases to do exactly this in the past. 9mm brass should be just fine for 38/357 rather than using the longer brass. I've used 45acp for acp and colt firearms.

Boolit Grand Master

Check the stickies. This process was reported quite a while ago.

For straight walled handguns; Just pour lead into a regular case. When cool, remove slug from case using an impact bullet puller. Been doing it this way for a few years. For rifles; use an egg sinker mold and soft lead...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I just go in the ML box and get a roundball of appropriate size and use the wood mallet to get it started down the barrel and a clean (not steel) rod to get it through the barrel, have several solid brass and Al rods for such.
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master
    I just cast pure lead in a couple different molds, regular bullet molds. Expand them a bit by putting them end for end in a machinists vise and turning the handle a bit.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Go to the fishing dept. in the store of your choice and look at the hundreds of lead sinkers for sale, if you take a mike or caliper you can get something close to size needed. If not, soft lead is easily shaved with a knife or cutting pliers. Oil the barrel and push it through.
    If this is not your cup of tea then LBT sells packages of lead slugs for some size guns. I purchase the packs of 10 of the 44 size slugs. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

In Remembrance
    Just buy the small egg shaped lead weights assortment at Walmart. You can then fit any caliber! Spend your time shooting or go fishing with the rest of the weights!

Take the case of choice and drop in a single buckshot that is larger than the flash hole use a bolt or punch and hammer smash the buckshot into the flash hole. Use a q tip sprayed with wd 40 and wipe the inside of the case. Fill case with lead and allow to cool over night 99% of the time the lead will shake out of the case. The buckshot stops the lead from going into the primer pocket and locking the lead and case together.
    Mark