Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: .44 Magnum, Plain-base 240 gr Cast SWC, IMR 4227

Boolit Buddy

.44 Magnum, Plain-base 240 gr Cast SWC, IMR 4227

.44 Magnum, Plain-base 240 gr Cast SWC, IMR 4227----Is there any reason not to use this combination together? What are the pros and cons of using IMR 4227 in this combination?

Thanks

Boolit Master
    the Big not to is cost

max or near max loads is only 300 rounds to a lb of powder
    if you used Unique you would get over 600

Boolit Buddy

Cost

And, if cost is not an issue at this time?

Boolit Master
    It's a listed load with a start of 20g max 22g (Speer) but it's a little on the slow side. Should perform better with a long barrel / heavy boolit.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Not at all, often a very accurate combo. You'll never get the higher vel though you get w/ say 2400 or H110, & does cost more than running Unique for sim vel loads.

Boolit Master
    I used to run 24 gr of IMR 4227 behind Lyman 429421 for IHMSA shooting. Good load. Put it over a chrono one time and, IIRC, it was in the high 1200 range.

I've never been much of a believer in Unique for anything over low end medium loads. It strikes me as making one heck of a lot more noise or at least a much sharper report which is way more uncomfortable than a slow powder.

Boolit Master
    I have used 4227 a lot even in the 44 special. Great for those loads that you need accuracy, not economy in. Even if it is going 1600 fps, if you dont HIT it, you cant count it.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Grand Master

IMR4227 is my standard go to powder for my .44 but in an 1894 Marlin.

I have tried a few others and H110 works well too but I find I have more uses for IMR4227 so always have some around anyway. Works well for me in my Marlin with boolits from 240 to 270 grs.

I tried it under my new 165 gr. TC but did not get complete combustion so it may be a little slow for lightweights but I find it works well for medium to heavy weight boolits. I have loaded up to about 300 gr. with it as well.

Most of my .44 boolits are PB ranging from 165 gr. to 290 gr. but mostly H&G #503 and 434640 at about 245 grs. to 270 grs. depending on solid or HP. I usually run from about 22 to 24 grs. depending on boolit weight.

It should be a good powder for you.

Longbow

Banned

it's a good wintertime powder.

Boolit Grand Master

Good powder, I've had a few good loads with it, but it's not my first choice
    in this application. I have had better accuracy USUALLY from 2400 or H110.
    Unique is superb for 1050 fps loads, at 10.0 gr.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 02-28-2012 at 10:41 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I used to carry a load utilizing that combination when I was out-and-about in Alaska, back when I was stationed there. I was using the RCBS 250 Keith bullet at that time, and found it accurate, pleasant to shoot, and with more than adequate penetration for my needs. I wasn't shooting hundreds of rounds during any one outing, so economy was not one of my concerns.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Here`s a link that may prove entresting http://www.imrpowder.com/pdf_reload.html

Your WELCOME !
    GP100man

Boolit Grand Master

I shot up many a pound "back in the day" when Hodgdon 4227 was $1.95 per lb under a 429421 in the .44 Magnum. I use 23 gr and got 1530 fps out of my 16" M94 with excellent accuracy, 1215 fps out of 6 - 6 1/2" revolvers and 1350 fps out of my 7 1/2" Ruger SBH revolver all with exceptional accuracy. If you have the powder give it a try working up to 24 gr, no reason not to.

Larry Gibson

Full loads with 4227 will be easier on a revolver than similar level loads with H110/296 or even 2400. If you are going to do a lot of shooting, there will be less flame cutting of the topstrap and erosion at the rear of the barrel with 4227.

Banned

No pro's, all con's. That stuff does not go in my .44's even though it is very accurate---AS LONG AS THE GUN IS COLD.
    The powder does work great in other calibers.
    For some reason it will increase pressures and velocity in the .44 as you warm the gun. IHMSA experience with it has shown drastic changes.
    I loved it in the .357 max.

Boolit Buddy

Winter Time Powder?

So, from what I am gathering, there is a reason it is a great winter time powder. Is that so? Keeping the gun cold keeps the powder at a temp the pressures don't rise? This is why it is a good winter time charge to use?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    No pro's, all con's. That stuff does not go in my .44's even though it is very accurate---AS LONG AS THE GUN IS COLD.
    The powder does work great in other calibers.
    For some reason it will increase pressures and velocity in the .44 as you warm the gun. IHMSA experience with it has shown drastic changes.
    I loved it in the .357 max.
    Hmmmm....1st I've heard of that. I used to get the old revolver pretty hot shooting that load and never experienced any addtional pressure signs or inaccuracy. Perhap I'll run 20 shots through the pressure test Contender and see if the psi increases(?). I have both flavors of 4227, either one in particular as the "offender"?

Larry Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I had similar experiences with imr4227, when I was shooting in AZ.

Banned

i really like it in my 445 with 300 gr bullets.
    it just has a tendency to start going goofy when hot [the gun and the powder]
    especialy in the 44 mag.
    it is fine for hunting,and in the winter i like it over h-110 as it is stable, where the 110 loses velocity.
    if i were gonna shoot a lot of heavy loads all year around it would definately be h-110 in the summer and 4227 in the winter, with corresponding lubes to match.