WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: locked threads

Boolit Master

locked threads

maybe its just me but when I see a locked thread I have to open the last page and see all the drama that brought on the lock. sometimes it can be helpful to sort out the good posters from the "deep end" posters and keep the names handy when you get replies to questions, helps me filter the advice down the road.

you can always tell the better sites because the moderators do a good job of stopping the pissing matches, keep up the thankless job moderators and I don't envy you one bit.

Boolit Master
    Sometimes I check them out, for the same reason. Often I find the same cast of characters or the same negative drift. There are a couple of topics that almost always seem to get locked.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Banned

There are far less locked threads now than I have seen in the last 4 1/2 years. JSnover has twice that perspective so he may add to this.

There are two kinds of locked threads;

First there are the gun and reloading related threads. This happen when people get so married to their understanding of a topic they feel the need to defend it to the extreme. Sooner or later, these folks run out of arguments and information to back up their positions and turn to personal invective. That is when the threads get locked and for good reason. That does not mean that one or both of the sides are either right or wrong, it just means they can't accept the fact that others might hold a different point of view.

Second, there are the locked political and religious threads. These areas don't have many objective facts than can be proven or disproved. They are mostly emotionally based opinions and as such turn nasty pretty quickly. These things have to get REAL nasty before they are locked. Ordinary nasty is not enough. When one goes into these topics, there is an implied consent to be the recipient of some level of nasty.

All in all the Moderators exercise good judgment about when the lock goes on. But I would not let the lock decide who is or who is not worthy of listening to. Judge that by the total body of their posting and your own good common sense.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I really didn't pay much attention to them until the last year but I saw some pretty nasty arguments in the early days.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    All in all the Moderators exercise good judgment about when the lock goes on. But I would not let the lock decide who is or who is not worthy of listening to. Judge that by the total body of their posting and your own good common sense.
    Id agree with that. The lock icon doesn't get my attention as much the user ID of the OP or the last commenter.

There are two kinds of locked threads;

First there are the gun and reloading related threads.
    I locked a thread after I got some .303 Savage brass. In my case, I didn't want people to wonder if I got brass. YMMV
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Char-Gar;3260779]There are two kinds of locked threads;

First there are the gun and reloading related threads. This happen when people get so married to their understanding of a topic they feel the need to defend it to the extreme. Sooner or later, these folks run out of arguments and information to back up their positions and turn to personal invective. That is when the threads get locked and for good reason. That does not mean that one or both of the sides are either right or wrong, it just means they can't accept the fact that others might hold a different point of view. }

These are the people I look for in the locked threads. Those who will NOT accept a differing opinon. We have a few here
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Master
    In my opinion, we are so very fortunate here on Cast Boolits to have been provided with "Our Town" and "The Pit" where (within reason) almost anything goes! There is so much knowledge and information shared on this site, (often not subject specific) as to boggle the mind! We are truly a family friendly site and in my opinion we are the best of the best around. My hat is off to the moderators for the excellent work they do!!
    R.D.M.

Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    In my opinion, we are so very fortunate here on Cast Boolits to have been provided with "Our Town" and "The Pit" where (within reason) almost anything goes! There is so much knowledge and information shared on this site, (often not subject specific) as to boggle the mind! We are truly a family friendly site and in my opinion we are the best of the best around. My hat is off to the moderators for the excellent work they do!!
    Everybody is entitled to their own opinions, but the PIT is a bad idea. Very few of the denizens there can argue and not get mad and become personal. They get heavily emotional invested in their position and strife and animus is generated there.

The strife and animus from the PIT carries over to the general board and form the seeds of much strife on the general board. What happens in the PIT does not stay in the PIT.

It is hard to respect the opinions of somebody on any issue once they have repeatedly proved themselves to be uniformed idiots in the PIT.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Love Life
    Ibtl!

Love Life
    Being a grown up, I go in the pit when I choose to, and I stay out of the pit when I choose to.

I literally laugh out loud when someone posts how they are forced at gunpoint to enter the pit (or any thread with a subject matter they find distasteful), and how they wish the forum owner would get rid of the pit or other thread/forum that created an offense upon their person.

Boolit Grand Master

I am on the other side of the fence. I think the PIT is a very good idea. I do agree that some of the opinions of the OP's do carry over outside the PIT, however, with all the other forums that I am a member of that don't have a PIT the PIT type opinions get inserted throughout the forum or it's regulated to the point it is a dead forum with very little usage.

The subject matter here is the same as the Cast Bullet Association forum but why does Cast Boolits have 38,046 members and Cast Bullet Association 4,148 member. It is simply because Cast Boolits is more interesting and the PIT is a large part of making Cast Boolits more interesting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I am on the other side of the fence. I think the PIT is a very good idea. I do agree that some of the opinions of the OP's do carry over outside the PIT, however, with all the other forums that I am a member of that don't have a PIT the PIT type opinions get inserted throughout the forum or it's regulated to the point it is a dead forum with very little usage.

The subject matter here is the same as the Cast Bullet Association forum but why does Cast Boolits have 38,046 members and Cast Bullet Association 4,148 member. It is simply because Cast Boolits is more interesting and the PIT is a large part of making Cast Boolits more interesting.
    Second that.
    We pretty much have to have a Pit or something like it. Some people don't know how offensive they are (and their threads can be moved there) and others don't care, but at least they have the option to post in an appropriate spot. Anyone who can't figure it out gets banned or locked up.
    It may not be perfect but it is working well enough.

Boolit Buddy

I live on this side of that fence. I frequent Cast Boolits for the knowledge, but do enjoy being a people watcher (?) !. For myself, everything in the Pit is to be taken with whatever salt your palette prefers.

Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, More Money! Tom T. Hall.

Your position is predicated on the assumption that a board with 38,046 members is better or preferable to a board with 4,148 members. I hold the opinion that while size may matter in some thing, it is not an asset when it comes to internet gun boards.

Boolit Grand Master

Your position is predicated on the assumption that a board with 38,046 members is better or preferable to a board with 4,148 members. I hold the opinion that while size may matter in some thing, it is not an asset when it comes to internet gun boards.
    I do agree with that to a point. Whatever forum it is I an only really interested in the people that know more than I do. At times I will have items of value to add (as will almost everyone else) but I mostly try to learn. The balance between allowing the idiots to drive the true experts away and locking the forum down so much that know one is interested in contributing is a very fine line. We do very well here. People will always disagree. Keeping that in the PIT is a good thing.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-26-2015 at 08:47 PM.

I do agree with that to a point. Whatever forum it is I an only really interested in the people that know more than I do. At times I will have items of value to add (as will also everyone else) but I mostly try to learn. The balance between allowing the idiots to drive the true experts away and locking the forum down so much that know one is interested in contributing is a very fine line. We do very well here. People will always disagree. Keeping that in the PIT is a good thing.
    There are a variety of reason that truly knolweable people move away, but there are two big ones that I know of and you stated one.

Folks who know what they are talking about quickly grow tired of being challenged and disputed by some folks who doesn't know his primer from his case head.

Also knowledgeable folks just get tired of the same basic question asked for the 6,000th time. I guess kindergarten needs teachers, but it does get tiresome to some.

This board is so large, it gets to be work to separate the signal from the noise.

Cast Boolits Owner

Before the PIT we had that junk in every area of the forum. We tried to prune it back but ended up locking too many good threads. The PIT was created to keep that crud to one small portion of the board so those that wish to learn about casting can do so in a more inviting environment. Not too long ago when the PIT got way out of hand I almost deleted it but after consulting the Moderators and removing a few folks (trouble makers) ability to visit/post in the PIT things calmed down to an acceptable level.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    The Pit is a fairly effective feature, like a sump for sludge or a crankcase breather to keep pressure from building in the wrong place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast