Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Sizing for two guns-4

Boolit Buddy

Sizing for two guns-4

I just slugged my sort of new Redhawk and got kind of lucky, because the groove diameter is 0.4285-429, and the cylinder throats are .430. However, my Browning B-92 slugged .431. Is it OK to size everything to .432 and shoot in both guns, or do I have to have two different sets of boolits now? Part of the logic of the Browning was to have a rifle-revolver combo that used the same cartridge.

I size my Ranch Dog 265gr cast to .433 and shoot them out of my Ruger Super Blackhawk and Marlin 1894. That's the joy of the 44 mag. SAAMI for handguns are .429 and rifles are .431 making shooting the same bullet out of both guns an adventure.

Key
    "Hatred is the cowards answer for being intimidated"

Boolit Buddy

That's exactly the boolit I want to shoot.

Banned

your gonna have to make a dummy round with the larger boolit and see if it will chamber.
    in both guns.
    if your browning is anything like mine, not only does it require a larger diameter, it will 100% refuse to feed anything through the rifle longer than 1.610.

Boolit Grand Master

I have 5, .44 Magnums. I cast and shoot a lot of 429421s and Ranch Dog's 265gr. and 240 gr. LRNFPs. I keep a bunch of each stored as they come out of the mold and a few of them sized for each gun (two revolvers like .430", two shoot well with .431"+. and my carbine likes .433"). Not a big deal for me, I bought Lee push through sizers and modified as needed...

If you wanna size everything to .432" I seriously doubt if there will be any problems. Your Redhawk's cylinders are gonna swage the bullets to .430" anyway and .432" in your Browning may not lead the barrel. I believe I got lead "splash" on the cylinder faces and frame when I fired bullets .002"+ over throat diameter, but that's no big deal.
    Last edited by mdi; 05-25-2015 at 02:00 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!