Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: 220 grain RNL load data needed , please

Boolit Buddy

220 grain RNL load data needed , please

For .30-30 in both Marlin & Winchester .

Thanks ,
    God bless
    Wyr

Statesville, North Carolina...too close to Charlotte
    I've never seen any data for a boolit that heavy in a 30-30, but if you have some Unique around you could probably max out about 8 grains. Velocity will be low, maybe even subsonic with that weight boolit, but don't think you can boost it with more powder. The Unique will reach maximim pressure way before velocity is peaked up to par with a lighter boolit.

As an example, my load of 10 grains Unique behind a 170 grain Lee slug gets me about 1500 fps, but the same load with a 150 Lee runs about 50 fps more. This is just about a max load with the 170 grainer.

Now add 50 more grains to the boolit and you can see how pressure may get out of hand real quick.

Maybe I've confused you, but better to be confused than injured!

Wish I could give more info, good luck.
    "Ignorance is the parent of fear."-Herman Melville

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    wyr--If you need more info that you have recived in your post at Paco K.'s site, head back to y'days thread there titled"30 wcf heavyweight bullets" there is some info there from John Kort that will be helpful..Or maybe John will come on here...good Luck, Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Buddy
    The late Evan marshal once said that 4350 was the "go to" powder for the 220 gr bullet in 3030. As I recall, he did make the nose flat in a size die, bracing the bullet with washers.

I do not recall the charge he said to use,but if you wish to contact me by e mail, I will look it up for you. (I do not get on the cast boolet web site very often.)

Or, you can go to the Lyman cast bullet handbook, and read the article on the 3030 written by him, the actual data in in there.

In truth, the best bullet for 3030 is probably 200 gr, and in a factory mould the RCBS flat nose cast from ww metal is an excellent choice at 195 gr or so... Powder charge would be 36 gr ww 760. Excellent !

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ra_balke View Post
    The late Evan marshal once said that 4350 was the "go to" powder for the 220 gr bullet in 3030. As I recall, he did make the nose flat in a size die, bracing the bullet with washers.

I do not recall the charge he said to use,but if you wish to contact me by e mail, I will look it up for you. (I do not get on the cast boolet web site very often.)

Or, you can go to the Lyman cast bullet handbook, and read the article on the 3030 written by him, the actual data in in there.

In truth, the best bullet for 3030 is probably 200 gr, and in a factory mould the RCBS flat nose cast from ww metal is an excellent choice at 195 gr or so... Powder charge would be 36 gr ww 760. Excellent !

I sent you an email with my address .

Thanks ,
    Wyr

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
    For .30-30 in both Marlin & Winchester .

Thanks ,
    God bless
    Wyr

I loaded 19 grains of Surplus 4895 . Too slow . The 180 grain w/ 1.00 cc WC820 was better .

God bless
    Wyr