WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: The Deerhunter

The Deerhunter

The Traditions Deerhunter is a light weight cheap plain jane little rifle with a 24" long 7/8" barrel.
    You put a longer barrel on it and it feels about like an old Model 511 Remington .22 that you'd pick squirrel heads with.
    Mine's a 2nd hand flinter got for a song that always goes bang. So, I had somebody make a 31" long small bore half inch smoothie barrel for it. Feels like I'd just as well had it made a .36 or .40!
    So, got to wondering, any yall picked on the low cost second hand Deerhunters and rebarreled them?

Boolit Buddy
    I lucked in to a used one that had never been fired. I haven't done any modifications to mine yet.

So far, I'm fairly impressed with it. I shot it for the first time today. Having zero experience with a flint lock, I found it easy enough.
    My only wish is that it had some more weight to it. 70 grains of FFg left my shoulder a little sore after a while.

I think it would benefit from a weight in the butt to give it a bit more recoil soaking heft. I'd also like to get some better sights for mine.

Boolit Grand Master

I got one on sale or clearance for $100 about ten years ago. Always wanted a small caliber(32) so I jumped on it. If I knew what I know now, I would have got another. Nice little shooter. Too bad they don't make them any more.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Got mine for $60 at a gun show. Guy was selling off a friends rifle for his widow. Had a Tasco 4x in see through bases. It was kinda rusty & had been double loaded. Haven't gotten around to shooting her yet. Cap lock.

Boolit Master
    I got a 50 Deer hunter percussion that had never been fired , 125 shipped from across the country I had to file the front sight a bit to match my load but it shoots a 320 r.e.a.l very nice , I have taken it hunting but haven't seen anything when I was out with it

I would take any one i could find at a good price , actually same thing for the cheap cva bobcats they shoot just fine wish I had bough every one I saw for 70 dollars back when Walmart had them on clearance.

I bought a new DeerHunter .50 about 14 years ago. That little rifle killed a truckload of deer for me. I eventually traded it, and a bit of cash, for a custom built Mike Lange "kids" .45 rifle the same size. The little .45 has a 15/16" barrel and is quite "weighty", especially at the muzzle. I use it for most postal matches.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE View Post
    I got a 50 Deer hunter percussion that had never been fired , 125 shipped from across the country I had to file the front sight a bit to match my load but it shoots a 320 r.e.a.l very nice , I have taken it hunting but haven't seen anything when I was out with it

I would take any one i could find at a good price , actually same thing for the cheap cva bobcats they shoot just fine wish I had bough every one I saw for 70 dollars back when Walmart had them on clearance.

I'm still looking for another used Deerhunter with a wood stock.
    Some day (heavy sigh).