Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Aluminum mold spru plate loose - easy fix?

Aluminum mold spru plate loose - easy fix?

So I've got this 22 caliber rifle boolit maker but it likes to make boolits that can stand on their own. Yes you've guessed it the sprue plate lock screw has stripped the aluminum block! Any way to fix it without totally demolishing the block? Been a while since I've been active, so I look forward to everyone's input! Thanks in advance everyone!

I thought about drilling a hole all the way through the block and using a bolt long enough that isn't threaded except at the end and use a washer and nut to keep the pressure manageable. However I don't have a drill press and I would probably ruin the whole thing if tried by hand drilling.

Also, it's an ace mold with the screw and side screw to hold it in place. Forgot that tidbit of info
    Last edited by pretzelxx; 05-23-2015 at 02:39 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Several ways to fix this. Drilling thrru may work but make sure the mould handles arnt going to be in the way before doing this mod. You might be able to go the spring washer and a longer bolt to catch a few threads that are left. You could possibly drill sprue plae and block for next bigger screw. need to make sure the lock screw will still have enough threads for this one also. The last one is to drill and tap out for bigger bolt insert bolt bottomed out and red loctited in place, redrill and tap standard sprue plate screw thread on location in this stud. If you dont have the tools or want to tackle this on your own, look for a local trade school. The machine trades class has lathes and mills and can easily do it for very little cost. If you have a machine shop where you work a small "gift" to one of the machinists may get it done also. To decide on a complete and for sure way I would need to see the mould in hand to determine what can be done.

Boolit Grand Master

If you cant find someone or dont want to tackle this yourself let me know thru PM and I will look at it and see what can be done. Shipping both ways will be the killer though

"I thought about drilling a hole all the way through the block and using a bolt long enough that isn't threaded except at the end and use a washer and nut to keep the pressure manageable. However I don't have a drill press and I would probably ruin the whole thing if tried by hand drilling." ...pretzelxx

I did that to a Lee single cavity mold with the same problem. A drill press would have been a blessing, but the hand held electric drill worked OK. The mold worked perfectly afterwards, btw and for many years too.