MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: 452423 NIB 2 Cavity in LGS

Boolit Master

452423 NIB 2 Cavity in LGS

Sitting on the shelf in Kesslerings Gunshop in Burlington, WA is a NIB double cavity 452423 238 gr .45 SWC mould in the Lyman box.

This was designed by Keith to be used in the .45 Auto Rim brass in the 1917 revolvers.

I already have this mold and it is great with Schofield or standard 45 LC brass. I bought mine so shoot Keith boolits out of my 70's Series Colt's but cannot get mine to chamber. Others claim they can shoot this boolit in the their 1911's.

This mould has been discontinued by Lyman and is a real good shooter.

Boolit Master

You might find this and the other links it contains helpful: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...cience-Project

I ultimately went in a different direction for my big meplat ACP boolit, as that particular profile is not what the average 1911 wants, but it can be done with the right magazine (GI) and the right seating depth (short).

Expect that mold to drop heavy. Neither the round lube groove Lyman I started with nor the NOE clone of the original square groove were close to 238 grains. I think Elmer may have been running a little rich on the linotype.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Love Life
    Shoots like a house afire in the Glock 21 and makes the steel swing really good. I tried it in the 1911, it worked, but I have better bullets for that platform. Short seating is the name of the game

The Ideal version is shorter than the NOE. Something to keep in mind if you work up with the Ideal and switch to a NOE.

Love Life
    Here is some 452423 info for the Glock 21. These were the initial load workups with powder coat. I settled on the final load and practiced with it. It will hang in a 3 inch and under group at 25 yds. Sure makes a distinctive smack when it hits the ground or wood, and makes the steel move very well.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...at-Shenanigans

bhn22
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    You might find this and the other links it contains helpful: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...cience-Project

I ultimately went in a different direction for my big meplat ACP boolit, as that particular profile is not what the average 1911 wants, but it can be done with the right magazine (GI) and the right seating depth (short).

Expect that mold to drop heavy. Neither the round lube groove Lyman I started with nor the NOE clone of the original square groove were close to 238 grains. I think Elmer may have been running a little rich on the linotype.
    Elmer never used linotype. He felt it was too hard, and too brittle for hunting. He almost ran 20:1 & 16:1 exclusively, from his writings.

Banned

nope but that mold would for sure shoot very well in my 624 or ruger convertible, or my rodeos in 45 colt, and would most likely be pretty good in the right lever gun, or an S&W or colt 45 acp revolver too.

Boolit Buddy
    Mr. Silver Jack Hammer- May I ask: What diameter does this mold cast at for you? Thanks, GWW

Boolit Master
    Golfswithwolves, that is a good question. I don't have any cast up to measure right now. 452423 is sized to .452" for proper sizing and lubing tho, hope this helps.

How much is it?

Boolit Master
    I didn't check the price, it was sitting on the shelf with other molds. Beware, in this state the highway men don't rob you on the road, they have been elected to office where they collect sales tax at a confiscatory rate. Then there will be shipping costs too.