WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New rifle for long range paper patch shooting

Boolit Buddy
    chris,
    it actually speeds things up, as the total shots fired can be done quicker, particularly if wiping etc is happening.
    with smokeless fullbore, you have something like 45 seconds for your shot.
    the same could happen with bpcr and say four to a target.
    keep safe,
    bruce.

Boolit Master
    Personally, having shot that style several times now, I much dislike it. It greatly detracts from strategizing and puts you at the mercy of whomever you are paired with. Overall, it sucks as a means of having a good cartridge match.
    Last edited by BrentD; 11-29-2015 at 10:27 AM.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Chris , in Perry's book he stresses the importance of being at the coaches position, and listening carefully to the report from the previous shooter, and being able to call your shot and fully explain if you pulled the shot off so the next shooter wouldn't adjust his sights to your bad shot.
    In the 1875 Remington catalog they give the windage adjustments for windspeeds up to 80 mph for their Vernier sights... Tells me the winds aren't always as calm back east as some would have us believe. Plus have you ever seen how many "wind farms" there are in Iowa????
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Plus have you ever seen how many "wind farms" there are in Iowa????
    Everyday. Not that it really matters. Iowa ain't really "back east," however.

It's all about perspective I suppose... the western Iowa border is 9 hours due east of here. LOL

Boolit Master
    You drive slow. The West Coast is a hell of a lot further due West of you too. The East starts somewhere over in Woody's neck of the woods where they have this thing called "the eastern time zone"...

Or some might say the "east" starts somewhere between Ogalla and North Platte where the mountain time zone ends... again, it's all in perspective..

Boolit Master
    One might. But then one might say the West starts on the other side of the Rockies. Most folks seem to put the east somewhere east of the Mississippi River and the prairie states. But then some people consider the West Coast to be the East.

Boolit Master
    I think that in the early days of American history that "the west" was a moving line that was anywhere west of modern civilization. I live on the west coast and always find it interesting how far east some people consider west to be . Maybe there should be a specific line of longitude assigned to it

On our big road trip last month we did not make it to Iowa, but we did get very close as we drove through the southern part of Minnesota. I was actually most amazed by the wind farms in Texas.

Here in B.C. we have a mountain with a single wind turbine on it. It's mostly a tourist attraction believe it or not. I can imagine what most Americans think of it, given the huge numbers of these things I saw on our 31 day road trip .

I don't think I'd want to switch to a match format where I had a precise 45 second time slot to get my shot off to be honest. Thinking about it a bit, I'd rather have what we have now. The time management is an important part of the strategy I think.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    I'm with you Chris wet the match format. Playing the clock AND the wind is what makes it all fun.

I live in Illinois just a stone throw east of the big muddy. I consider this being mid west 125 miles east of me is never ever land from there on.

Oklahoma and Idaho - and not depending on the weather.
    Chris, Where did you make entry? I live (half the year) just South of where 95 comes down the Idaho Panhandle. You drop in that far "east" or come in above Seattle area? Border crossing sure ain't what it used to be. In that region you'd think we had 20 million illegal Canadians here and vise versa.

Lead Pot, that's how I feel about both coasts, they are both 'Left Coasts" east or west, and "never ever" turns into laa-laa land. Nothing to do with shooting of course, unless you are talking about the hostility towards guns in general there.
    Best Regards,
    John

Boolit Master
    John, I live really close to the border on the west coast so we started in Washington, then to Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indianna, Michigan, then up to vist family in Ontario and Quebec, then back down to New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Oregon, an back through Washignton and to B.C.

Boolit Master
    John, I just realized I didn't answer your question at all. We came down the I-5 North of Seattle and took the I-90 east through Coeur D'Alene. My wife and I really like that area. She often goes to Spokane Wa for craft shows. We've been to Sand Point which is a really nice place, and when I am there I can feel the magnetic attraction of Buffalo Arms

Chris.

Oklahoma and Idaho - and not depending on the weather.
    Wow Chris, sounds like you had a great trip. I've spent a week shooting in the Okanagon Valley between our Port of Entry and yours the last three summers. Buffalo Arms is 20 miles South of my cabin. I split time between Oklahoma and there. Spend most of the summer in the Panhandle. Bought my first five lbs of BP there this summer so we'll see where the new path takes me. You ever drive down 95 from BC be sure and give me notice. If I'm in the neighborhood I'll buy you a cup of coffee, and maybe help your wife drag you out of Buffalo Arms
    Best Regards,
    John

Boolit Master
    Well it sounds like you picked a good place for your cabin . That is beautiful country. You also have the advantage of being within a days drive of some great black powder matches. I'll let you know if I pass through your area.

Chris.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345